1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Dragon [cookalong journal!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by LarssonCrew, Dec 15, 2011.

1. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey guys,

I attempted to get into shape around 3 years ago on this forum, and found it incredibly useful. At that time I shattered my wrist boxing and it cut all forward planning.

But now I'm back. Few questions and points and others:

Why the title? Because I'm a foreigner in China and the next year will not only dictate my life based on health but I hope that through pushing myself to be fit I can also help boost and push through my business aims in China.

A few goals and landmarks -

April I will be visited by my parents, I would LOVE them to be impressed by my 'thinness'
    July I have a wedding to go to.
    Next December I will take my girlfriend/fiance[it blurs a bit in China] to Bali or another exotic beach destination.
    I want to be taking less insulin[I'm diabetic]
    I hope my business can push forward with it's office opening and other things.
    I hope I can become fluent in Chinese and pass the HSK[written and spoken Chinese]

So, my stats:

175 CM[around 5'9]
    105.8 KGs at this morning's weigh in. A little ashamed.

I am also ashamed to say that I feel incredibly weak in my upper body, but my legs through years of badminton are very strong.

So first day, a little angry at myself because the restaurant I went to with my law student's didn't have anything but cola, so I took a small can.

Meal 1:

2 eggs and 2 egg whites with a square of sandwich cheese - 240 cls

Meal 2:

50g oatmeal and 200ml of whole milk[no skimmed milk in China] - 340 cls

Meal 3:

Small portion of curry chicken and rice with my student's and a can of cola - No idea, I budgeted 700 for this.

Meal 4:

Home made pasta with onions and celery - I guess around 300

So total calories for today is around 1600. Maybe a tad low but I'm determined not to over-eat and I want to lose a lot of weight before April.

My exercise for today:

8 minutes on my spinning bike [unfortunatley the settings are either 'high' or 'ultra high' and since I didn't do any workouts in around 6 months my legs just gave up, I'm disappointed in myself]

I did arm workouts today, but I just feel so weak in my arms, plus I did 100 sit ups with ease. My Chinese friend came over who is very fit and healthy and could barely do one at the most inclined [almost vertical] but I dropped 10 on the spot to stun him. I always found sit ups very easy, oh well.

Tomorrow I want to be up bright and early to do some more work on the bike and then leg work, before a solid breakfast.

I also had three hours of Chinese class and was thrilled I could read 90 consecutive characters, and that my pronunciation is spot on!

Anyways, as ashamed of my pathetic over weight body as I am, I will post pictures because I don't want to 'bullshit' anyone, for those I can only offer apologies.

Two things: On the 22nd of december through til the 3rd of jan I will be in Bali, Indonesia with a friend. I'm sure the shame of my weight will push me on further when I'm back, but I still plan on eating right and exercising [biking swimming] and then Chinese New Year, I plan on only spending 3 days away from my home because it's basically a gorge and sit around fest, although with alot of drinking.

Also, I have a home gym but it consists only of a set of decent dumb bells, a sit up /weights bench and a spinning bike [stuck at high or ultra high, damn!].

I plan on joining the gym and will take part in 2 or 3 badminton classes a week! Although from 12th Jan until early February my regular partner will go home for Spring Festival. Bare in mind my 'partner' is a teacher of badminton and I pay him to play, so that we push each other. His standard is just below that of the China national team, and I am sweating like a pig when I'm finished.

Let's hope I can become as obsessed with my fitness as I was with learning Chinese and learning the ropes of business.

Any questions, just ask, I feel like today was a great opening day, save for that single damn can of cola! In future I will carry my Bei zi [cup!] around with water so no more mishaps.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that I can produce alot of the foods I talk about here on the recipe forum for you to enjoy too!

Lars

2. LarssonCrew

16th December, 2011

Well woke up this morning, felt good about yesterday, then I hopped on the scales:

106.4KGs, I've gone up 0.6KGs from yesterday, even though I worked out yesterday and ate clean.

I'm starting to suspect scales, one result gave me 105.4, one gave me 104.9. It's crazy, so I decided that I'd just do them all from the exact same spot [my wooden floor is uneven, but I guess on the tiles it will be ok].

Anywho, did a 20 minute cardio on the bike on high intensity this morning, and I'm so glad because yesterday I did 8 minutes and my legs gave up. Only did 20 sit ups which I am a tad disappointed with.

My meals today will be:

Meal 1 - Oatmeal
    Meal 2 - Brocolli soup [I will do a recipe for this!]
    Meal 3 - Chicken pasta
    Meal 4 - Fruit/nuts
    Meal 5 - Chicken and vegetables
    Meal 6 - One slice bread with some cheese

As well as that today I'm going to put my legs into more use by doing dumbell lunges and dumbbell squats, I aim to do around 5 x 10, although I can see later sets this hurting like hell!

3. LarssonCrew

Ok time to throw up some of the most embarrassing pictures this site has EVER seen, so sorry before hand.

Front and side shots [maybe a poor version because I had to use a mirror and my phone to get the job done]

I also attached a picture of my home gym.

I can only apologise for the socks on my bike, I told my a yi [it means auntie in Chinese who is basically a maid/cleaner] that I needed to use the bike and she didn't believe me, and continues to use it as a clothes horse instead.

They will be coming off later so I can drop another 20 minutes on the bike. Following which I will deadlift, squat and dumbbell lunge myself to death.

But before that, I have a 3 hour mandarin writing class in my home. It's amazing when you rattle off character after character.

Anyways, my planned target from 106 is down to 90 by April. That's 16 kilos, which is 35.2 lbs, I think that is doable, as I have 12 weeks, so three lbs a week would have me on target.

Overall aim is about 70 I think...I THINK. In which case I need to lose about 40% of my body weight. Shocking!

Attached Files:

4. LarssonCrew

Jesus, I just did the first set of deadlifts in my life. 180 lbs or there about, I pulled out

1 x 15
    1 x 10
    1 x 10
    1 x 10
    1 x 10

and now I can barely move. I had planned on dumb bell lunges and squats but my body is shaking so much I cannot move. I will rest for ten minutes and try the other exercises again.

5. LarssonCrew

Weight this morning of 105.4 so down 0.6 of a kilo from yesterday.

Today I did 21 minutes[no more time!] on the bike and ate oatmeal for breakfast.

I have an entire day of teaching international law to Chinese PhD students, from 1-9, and I have only have a 30 minute break. In this time I will buy fruits from across the road to keep me going, then when I get home I will eat some chicken with boiled vegetables and a little pasta.

Why pasta? I know it's the devil sometimes, but I feel like oatmeal, some fruit and just chicken is NOT enough for a man 105kg. So add a little carbs in there.

Tonight I will hit thew lunges and squats I failed to do yesterday from tiring myself doing dead lifts.

All's going well!

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday I will have marathon badminton sessions, so the weight should come off a little easier!

6. LarssonCrew

Not sure what happened.

Yesterday got invited to dinner by my law students so I said yes. Interestingly enough my friend offered me a Burger King Whopper[they just opened their first store in my city in China] and I said no!

However, it appears I went a bit over the top at the dinner, although I insisted we eat at hot pot, which is essentially a big bowl of bowling soup that you place various vegetables and meat into [like a quick fondue but with water not oil] and then into a dipping sauce.

Except that all I ate yesterday was oatmeal, an apple and some potato rostis I hand made with a friend. Yet, this morning the scales read 107.5KG!

No time yesterday for weight workout, and to 'punish' myself[although I think most is water weight from the salt] I will drop a 45 minute cycling workout and squats, lunges and chest workout after work at 4pm today, no cheating!

I still feel massively full however, so I will just eat an apple for my breakfast on my way to work.

I hope by tomorrows weigh in I've got rid of most of the water weight.

It's interesting how I feel a bit sluggish the second I put non clean food into my body [my half of the soup was very salty and very spicy]

However, I did avoid all beers and no sugary drinks at the dinner, so let's hope after working hard at work today, then coming home and hitting my home gym, that my stats are better tomorrow morning!

Planned meals for today:

Meal 1 : Apple
    Meal 2 ; Fruit and nuts
    Meal 3: Oatmeal
    Meal 4: chicken and vegetables

Planned workout;

45 minutes on the stationery bike
    Shoulder shrugs, dumb bell bench, lunges and squats.
    100 sit ups.

7. LarssonCrew

Today was poor calorie wise, I under ate massively.

Only ate an apple and a large bowl of oatmeal with a banana in it.

I'm not hungry but will force myself to eat more as this only comes to around 800 calories.

Did a set of increasingly heavy dumbbell squats and my legs hurt like hell. I did 30 sit ups but my back hurt too much to continue [not sure why], and later I will do 45 minutes cardio.

I also did a mean set of shoulder shrugs that hurt like hell but I pushed through to finish 3 x 10 sets.

Tomorrow I expect an early good breakfast, but not before 45 minutes of cardio, then a 2 hour session of badminton later. Tomorrow will be chest day, Tomorrow I will also work arms!

I still think all of yesterdays salt intake at the hot pot has taken it's toll on my keeping of water weight, but we shall see in a few days!

8. LarssonCrew

Finished today with a nice 20 minute intense biking session, I was sweating like the pig that I am.

Also, I'm worried about my eating. I have zero hunger but I ate less than 1000 calories today. For a fat 106KG man, that cannot be healthy.

Anyways, I was tempted to start running outdoors, then I realised that the smog and pollution will annihlate my lungs.

Check this picture out, you cannot even see the end of the street[the street is roughly 1km long]

Attached Files:

9. LarssonCrew

Well I couldn't sleep, I was laying in my bed for 2 hours, but getting no where. So I got up and did some deadlifts and spoke to my father, grandmother and my brother on skype back in England.

I also contacted mastover who will hopefully guide me from January onwards.

The good news, today's weigh in was 104.9KGs, Friday I weighed in at 106.8KGs, so I'm almost 2 KGs down in 4 days already, that's a pound of weight a day.

I'm keeping up weight exercises so I'm not just burning off muscle.

Will do a few more lifting exercises for arms and then it's working at a high end hotel, then a game of badminton after dinner.

10. LarssonCrew

What a strange day yesterday. After not sleeping, I hit the scales at 230.78 delighted.

I ate chicken at one AM then did various things and didn't eat. My gf came over and we talked, then I got a massive dip in my blood sugar and felt like I 'pigged out'.

I ate bread, milk, then a sweet dish and then we went for lunch at a Hong Kong restaurant. I ate roast goose which came ith rice. Just ate a little. However after I felt sick because going from 4-5 small portions a day to eating one large made me feel sick.

Anyway, after pigging out I figured out that yesterday I still only ate 1400 calories.

I was too tired to play badminton and slept, alot.

11. LarssonCrew

Woke up today after a long eleven hour sleep, hit the scales (I should have waited for my fasting cardio and shower though). I saw 104 KGs, which is 228.8

I started at 106.8KG, which is 234.9, so I'm down 6.1lbs already in 6 days, delighted.

Today I will fasting cardio HIIT for 20 minutes, and then eat breakfast before I hit weights. Later this evening after I give law class, I will spend 2 hours at badminton before rounding off my day with 3 hours of Mandarin class 9-12.

How tiring :D

12. LarssonCrew

Went to the shop today and bought another 176 lbs of weights for about 100 dollars, not too bad.

Played badminton for 1 hour and 45 minutes and I'm so tired, although I think I can push myself harder.

Just weighed myself and I'm at 227 lbs, that's down from 235 lbs when I started this journey last Thursday, today I ate only about 1300 calories so I'll bump that up with some toast and cheese before I head off to bed.

Tomorrow, it's cardio in the morning [fasted] and then a busy day consisting of administering a law exam in the morning, followed by a Chinese class, then playing badminton at 6 in the evening until 8 30.

Tomorrow will be a deadlift day with rows, calf lifts and sit ups.

I deadlifted 199 lbs after my badminton but I'm a little tired, after a good sleep I'm sure I will be able to push the bar even further, maybe to 250 lbs. Only downside is that my left arm seemed to want to give up way before my right arm did on the deadlift, I need to be careful and try to balance out the effects of my years of badminton by bringing my left arm up to speed!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your journal is interesting, I like to read it. :) Good luck on reaching your goals.

14. winsecure

winsecure Well-Known Member

Hey Larrson,

Sounds like you're off to a nice start. Don't worry about the days where your weight jumps up a few pounds... that's normal for everybody and its not fat that got added back on, it's water weight. I weigh myself every day also, but instead of caring about what today's weight clocks in at, I just follow my 10 day moving average. I record my daily weigh-ins in Excel and have it calculate the average of the last 10 days... as long as that number keeps going down, I'm happy.

How often are you lifting? It sounds like you are doing legs (squats/deads) fairly frequently (too frequently? - I'm not qualified to judge).

That's great that you'll be working with Mastover. He'll steer you right. I'm always amazed that in response to a question, he offers a simple response... I then spend 2 hours on google scholar and what he says is backed by a lot of science.

I noticed in one of your posts you said you had some difficulty sleeping. That happens for me when I start working out as well... My body doesn't know what's going on and I don't sleep well at all. For me, that lasts right around 2 weeks... its a pain in the butt in the meantime, but your body will adjust and let you get good sleep in another week or so.

Good on you for taking your pics. They'll be the basis for seeing what you've accomplished a few months from now.

Keep up the hard work!

#14 winsecure, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. LarssonCrew

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm heading off to Bali for a well earned [this year I worked my ass off! My only 'vacation' was going back to the UK for ten days and I came back more tired! Trying to fit in seeing all friends and family means constantly moving about.]

I'm at about 103. For three days I ate out [at Chinese restaurants] and yes, the salt/spice increases my water weight. Once I eat clean it will melt off.

I wanted to be 100 KGs by the time I went but alas, one week to drop 7 KGs [15.4 lbs] was just too much. I feel my cardio has improved.

I don't want to over do the cardio, and so on those days I play badminton I don't LISS in the morning fasted on the bike.

Yesterday I tried to do fasting badminton for two hours but I was just too tired after 40 minutes and slightly 'binged' by eating a yoghurt and a small cake, because I felt my blood sugar was low.

I also bought a squat and dumb bell press rack yesterday, and I added extra weights.

I'm doing squats/deadlifts because I found they tired me more than individual muscle working, however I'm incorporating a day of chest, a day of arms and a day of legs into it too.

I will generally do whatever doesn't ache, my first day of doing deadlifts my back was tired[not hurting, but tired] for a few days.

I'm not entirely new to lifting weights, my form is good, but I still can't seem to push myself over the edge so to speak, and I also have two major problems:

1)My legs are far far stronger than my arms
    2)My right arm is twice as strong as my left.

I think doing squats/deadlifts will help grow the strength in my left arm more than isolated exercises, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, the aim is after my vacation, to be on a level playing field [i.e. I don't want to have bloated back to 107 KGs, I want to maintain so when I'm back I can start lifting heavy and eating my clean homecooked foods, and get back onto cardio.]

My worry is no gym in my hotel[it's a villa], so I'm contemplating two hours of swimming daily, plus walking into town/walking around, and eating lots of fruit for breakfast/lunch, then one healthy dinner of seafood or chicken.

We will see!

I'll get up pics from Kuala Lumpur and Bali as I go.

Bye for now!

16. LarssonCrew

Well Bali is an incredible country and the people are really friendly.

My diet is not so good, but every day so far I have walked about in 30 degree 95% humidity heat for several hours a day.portions in Bali are small but I may treat myself to one or two desserts too many

I am avoiding the sugary fruit juices and sticki to water and diet coke. I hope to go back and be around the 103-104 range then take a long one month crack at getting it to 95kgs before Chinese new year, then in fen and march push through

Today I ate:

Breakfast/lunch

Indonesian fried rice and Chinese spring roll

Snack:

4 chocolate cookies

Dinner:
    Penne and Italian meatballs and apple pie wi ice cream

So I'm doing the wrong thing I just eTing two big meals rather than mini meals. Am. Disappointed? Slightly but I'm happy to have a good time and I know next time I'm in vacation thi time next year that I will be unstoppable in my fitness.

17. LarssonCrew

I'm back from vacation.

Bali is truly truly a lovely place, so peaceful, so gentle, and everyone there is so friendly, someone would ask 'do you need a taxi?' I'd reply 'no thank you', they'd say 'have a great day!'.

Anyways, what's even more of a shock is that I've returned having felt like I'd eaten alot of crap, but today's weights:

102.2kgs, down from 106kgs when I started, so that's 8.3lbs down from my starting.

Reasons I feel I even lost 2.2 lbs on holiday:

The heat -> 32/35 every day and 100% humidity means even walking to the local shops meant that I was sweating. Let alone when I trekked through the jungle and temples for 2 or 3 hours.

I did many activities, often I'd find an hour and just go into the pool and play about, swim a bit, walk around, do whatever, but an hour in the pool moving about sure beats an hour of sitting reading a newspaper.

The portions of food in bali are small, I felt like I ate alot[every dinner was three courses normally], and me and my friends shared, so even if I got four spring rolls for starter, I would give two to my friends. The entrees wouldbe the equivalent of a western starter portion, and dessert was often fruit.

Which brings me to another point: The portions inthe west really are ridiciulous. I ate slowly because it was hot, and a small starter and a small entree would fill me up, especially when I drank a litre or two of water at the same time. The final day I ordered a pizza which was about 6' across, with water, a diet coke and some calamari as a starter I was entirely stuffed.

It's made me realise how 'normal people' who care not about health overeat massively, and I used to be the same. The portions of pasta I used to cook would be huge and western portions, and now I realise I need not so much.

Another reason for my weight loss in Bali was that I hardly drank for the last two days, and with the heat and dehydrating effect of 12 hours of air travel, I've shed alot of water weight.

So today was supposed to be a badminton and a weights day, but my badminton coach told me that he has damaged his knee, so no cardio from that until monday. So it will be 35 minutes of HIT on the spinning bike, and 100 sit ups today, along with a weight plan that Mastover set me up with.

After that it's oatmeal for breaking my fast and some fruit, then I suspect this afternoon I will eat eggs, tomatos and chicken.

18. winsecure

winsecure Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back. Sounds like your trip was a blast... I bet seeing the weight down was a nice surprise on your return.

19. LarssonCrew

Thanks winover, yes it was amazing.

I'm sat around 102-103, I would love to push down to 100 or even below 95 KGs before the end of January, then push through to my parent's visit in three months.

I'll add some images for you guys later once I've rearranged the resolution.

I started Mastover's regime this morning and my legs were proper messed for about an hour, but I enjoyed it. In the meantime here is the girl that I need to get into shape to marry!

Attached Files:

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I went to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai on business in 2007.....*LOVED IT*.

The pollution in Hong Kong was out of control when it was overcast...
    Beijing was one of the nicest and cleanest cities I have ever visited. Loved the Forbidden Palace....and it was extra-cool seeing the Olympic venues under construction....
    Shanghai was my favorite though....gorgeous!

Good luck on getting back to it! I'll be following along. And if you have any questions about food/diet/macros/etc...I am willing to pitch in an opinion for you...:nod:....I have been around this block a couple times and had some excellent success in the past that I am now trying to repeat.
    *Edit: strike that....saw you are with Mastover....he will get you everything you need and more. You are in good hands.

Cheers,
    - Michael