1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

going to gym more than 6 months, progress stopped

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by janzy, Nov 19, 2014.

1. janzy

janzy Member

Hello everyone!

Just a quick introduction. I'm male, 27, 189 cm tall, weight of 102kg. A bit over normal weight, but I'm currently putting on muscle mass.

I've been visiting the gym for the past 6 months and my progress was steady. I added a bit of weight on top for every exercise every 2 weeks. I was doing full body workout for 4 months and after that I've switched to lower / upper split.
    Currently I do my trainings like this:
    Monday - chest and triceps
    Tuesday - back and biceps
    Wednesday - shoulder and triceps
    Thursday - legs, abs and biceps
    Friday - Sunday = rest.

I progress at most of my exercises, yet at bench press and squat my progress is completely stopped.
    Do you have any idea as to why? I realize that progress cannot be constant forever and that at some point progress will stop - but after only 6 months?? I don't believe that's my case....
    What am I doing wrong?
    I am eating a lot of calories - my BMR is 2225 calories (I used this handy BMR calculator http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator) and I eat well above 3000 calories per day having 5 meals. Do you think I should be consuming even more calories? Chest and legs are pretty big muscles and I imagine they burn lots of calories? What calorie intake do you recommend?
    Maybe I am over-training? Should I reduce the amount of trainings per week or introduce a 1 day pause between workout days? But I am splitting my trainings to avoid muscle exausthion.

Please advice me on how to proceed as this current situation is not encouraging at all.

Thanks all.
    J

2. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

Hey Janzy,

A few things come to mind:

* Are you breaking out your macros in addition to tracking calories? If you're not doing so already, try a tool like My Fitness Pal that allows you to add specific foods and recipes, all of which are broken down into at least protein, carbs, and fats. Their food database is great. Obviously what I'm wondering here is whether you're getting enough protein, but the others are equally important.

tl/dr: Break down your macros.

* Assuming that your previous full-body workout was performed three days a week, you have probably considerably reduced the number of times per week that you are hitting specific body parts. You specifically mentioned two very important exercises that are stalled -- bench and squats -- but you're only hitting them once a week -- only four times a month!

* Your schedule seems a bit "off." You work like hell for four days straight and then take three off. Biceps and Triceps get worked twice a week, but more important groups only get hit once. If you stagger your days off and rearrange your workout, you should be able to hit the major muscle groups two or three times a week.

All offered IMHO.

PS Check a few other BMR calculators. The number yours kicked out -- especially with no exercise -- seemed a bit funky.

3. janzy

janzy Member

Thanks for replying.
    Let me answer your questions.

-No, I don't break down my food into macros. I'm trying to eat at least 200 grams of protein per day. Do you think this is too little for me?

-I did full body workouts 4 times per week. Yes, true, I am hitting particular muscle group only once or twice per week, but I was told that big muscle groups (like chest, legs, back) need a couple of days to fully recover and it would be a waste to train them while they're unrested.

-True, my schedule is a bit heavy. but the truth is that I don't have free time for weekends, so I have to squeeze my workouts in Monday - Thursday.

-BMR calculator seems to be working properly. I've tried other BMR calculators and they've produced approximately same values:
    Male, 27 yo, 189 cm, weight 102kg

bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ BMR 2211 calories
    healthiack.com/bmr-calculator BMR 2211 calories
    myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator BMR 2071 calories
    calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html BMR 2081 calories

Now I know that this is just a calculation and cannot be accurate for all, but it gives a good number to based your diet on.

So your suggestion is to calculate macros, increase the amount of protein I eat per day, exercise chest and legs twice per week? :confused:

4. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

I should have mentioned before: I'm not an expert, and there are many people here who are far more experienced than I am. Hopefully you will get other comments.

Sounds like your planned protein intake is OK *if* that's what you're actually getting, but measuring macros is better than guessing.

More important: You are only working bench and squats four times a month. You can't expect improvement when you're hitting those major muscle groups so infrequently unless your workouts are very intense and focused. Muscles have to be torn down to grow, and you're not hitting them.

You say that you're busy on the weekend, but are you straight-out busy for all three days? I think you need to be able to take a rest day during the week and incorporate the weekend as legit rest days. Change the routine to something like:

Day #1 - chest, shoulders, and triceps
    Day #2 - back, legs, biceps
    Day #3 - Rest
    Day #4 - chest, shoulders, and triceps
    Day #5 - back, legs, biceps

Or something like that. Leave the ab-focused stuff for the weekend. Most ab machines are terrible anyway. Get an ab wheel and work 'em on the off days.

Good luck.

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

What exercises are you doing in your routine? How many sets/reps?