1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Goal: Fat to Fake

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by cookeecrumbs, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cookeecrumbs

cookeecrumbs Active Member

Hey Everyone! I'm Erin, and if you look over to the box at the left, you'll notice I am a female :) I'll give some quick bits to make this a smidge more interesting. I'm a hasbeen powerlifter who went back to school in '07 and graduated in May '10. I mention this because I did what many people do and put school way above health in the priority list. So, since graduating, I've gotten back in the gym, diet has fluctuated, but definitely improved and this brings me to here/now.

General Goal: Healthier
    More specific goals: Lose fat (shooting for a strong 150ish body weight), keep cardio good and improve it (quit smoking 2 days after graduating last year), and get stronger.

I know, it's hard to get smaller and stronger... bring it on naysayers :D hehehe

I'm sure that the journal will get more detailed and I'll improve as I go, but I figure it's better to jump in now rather than waiting until I'm "all there"... It's like those people who think they have to lose weight before they can go to the gym... I'll go ahead and throw the imperfect out there - feel free to raise an eyebrow and shake your head or come over and pat me on the back as it goes :)

To explain the title of my thread... I know as I lose fat, I am going to have things rearranging themselves and that I'll end up losing some parts of me that I really, really like. Basically, to get healthier, my body will in some ways look worse. So, when it's all done - when I meet my weight/way less body fat goal and stay there for 6ish months, I'll be having things put back where they go and replacing the missing parts :D

2. cookeecrumbs

June 14th

Tues June 14th:
    Met with trainer

15 min cardio
    Bench:
    1x15xbar
    1x12x95
    1x10x115
    1x2x135 - Did a few more "assisted" reps, but I don't count them if someone else touches my bar

Leg Press:
    1x15x90
    1x15x180
    1x15x270
    1x15x360
    1x15x450
    We quit here b/c the trainer said he didn't want to put more on since he'd have to help take it back off... I'll have a leg day on my own soon :)

Lat Pulldown
    1x15x60
    1x15x50
    1x12x40
    1x12x30

15 min cardio

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Hiya! Welcome back to the fitness world!

I'm with you on the 'assisted' reps. It really irks me when a spotter feels like they have to have their fingers under the bar for the whole set. It makes me want to stop lifting and let them do the work instead. :lol:

Uhh... what? Get a new trainer. :lol:

lolwut

:whistle:

Consider me subscribed to your journal. :D

4. cookeecrumbs

June 15th

Wed June 15th
    Made it to the gym late today, but made it :)

10 min cardio

DL
    1x20xbar (mostly stretching everything out)
    1x12x135
    1x12x165
    1x10x185 - stupid grip... had to reset my hands at 8. Good news, I'll have callouses again soon :)

Seated CBL row (the separate handles/weights kind)
    1x12x22 (weight is each side)
    1x12x27.5
    1x8x35

Seated CBL Row (the one cable, with a bar)
    Each set slightly wider than shoulder palm up grip then slightly narrower than shoulder palm down grip
    1x12x55
    1x12x60

Clean and Presses (what we always called them anyway - floor, thighs, chest, overhead)
    3x12xbar

No Christmas shopping between sets/exercises :) Between 45 and 90 seconds.

10 min cardio to quit dripping and panting as much

I'm trying to get some idea of where I'm at - been a very long time since I've DL-ed. I could have pulled more, but definitely going to have to get my grip back to awesome... especially since my gym doesn't like chalk... or grunting or loud noises or... I do love my gym though - it's a palace compared to the one I was at last year :)

And Lenny - Thanks ;) I actually already subscribed to you last week... I was lurking a bit :D You're quite inspirational!

5. cookeecrumbs

June 16th

Thursday June 16th
    Nothing too impressive... Cardio
    37 min on Eliptical - averaged 6mph for 20 minutes, hit 3 miles at 32 min and then cooled down for 5... Sex in the City went off, so it was time to go anyway :lol:

The eliptical thought I burned 370... I think it lies... but it's a nice lie... and I did tell it that I was happy to see it and loved it when I got there, so I guess I started it :D

Happy Almost Friday everyone!!

6. cookeecrumbs

June 17th

Friday June 17th
    And it was good :)
    Did a quick leg day(30min):
    6 min eliptical
    Leg Press
    1x12x90
    1x12x180
    1x12x270
    1x12x360
    1x12x450
    1x12x540

Standing one Leg curl (this is super compared to the lay down and sit down ones! first gym I've gone to with one)
    1x12x40 (each leg)
    1x12x45
    1x12x50 the last two on the right one were a struggle

Leg Extension (again, independent leg weights)
    1x12x40 (each leg)
    1x12x50
    1x10x55 ouch!

Glute standing kick back thing
    1x12x60 (each leg)
    1x12x70
    1x12x80 legs were getting wobbly by the last couple

Spin Class - 55min of shaky leg cardio :)
    Don't know that it was the best idea, but I love spin class and didn't want to miss it just because my legs were tired

So, exciting news... I got a new toy today :D (all you gutter brains, not like that kind of new toy :nono:)

I got a body monitor. I got it charged and strapped on just before making it to the gym, so I'm anxious to see what it says I'm burning. I'll let ya'll know when I know. I'm going to try to wait until morning to get the info off of it... but I may do it tonight :D

Happy Friday Everyone!

7. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Hi Erin! Those are pretty impressive numbers you are putting up! I think I am drooling a little... would love to be as strong as you! Thanks for posting what you are doing. It gives me motivation! Just wanted to pop in and say HI... and that I am "eye-ing" your journal! ;)
    Keep at it!:bb:

8. cookeecrumbs

Hey Michelle - Thanks! I gotta say, your weight loss is super impressive! It's funny you happened to say hi tonight because I discovered the transformation monthly thread and read yours shortly after the gym this afternoon... Wow! It was very nice to see a female make so much progress! Hopefully I'll be joining you with an impressive weight loss down the road :D Then, we'll take over the world or some other equally challenging goal :tu:

9. cookeecrumbs

Good news... I am ready for a long harsh winter living in a cave with only small animals and occasional insects that I happen to outsmart for snacks :D

I checked my body monitor and during my hour and a half of "holy crap, I think I'm going to die" I burned less than 700 calories. I am hoping that the monitor isn't as accurate at monitoring biking (I've read that before). So, I'll find out if my body really does conserve energy well (sounds much nicer than metabolism sucks, doesn't it?) when I do some cardio this afternoon... we'll see what it thinks about the eliptical or treadmill since they have a more traditional movement. :)

10. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Thanks Erin! It has been a journey! I want to be leaner and stronger, so I am far from being done. I don't think I will ever be "done", I am hooked for life.
    I am looking forward to watching your progress. Go get em!:tucool:

11. cookeecrumbs

June 18th

Saturday June 18th
    Cardio
    Eliptical for 40 min
    Did 15 min just kind of "going" but at a higher level... then remembered I wanted to see if I could boost it up for 20 minutes (beat the 6mph thing)

So, then I did a mile in 8:14 and by 20 min, I had gone 2.2mi - .2 more than the other day.

Because I was very curious about my little body monitor, I went ahead and looked at how many calories I burned on the eliptical in 40 min (the machine said I burned 415 or so) and the monitor said I burned 390 - I was super happy with that. I may have a metabolism slightly higher than a sloth's afterall :D

So far, my monitor thinks I've burned about 2000 calories today... I've eaten about 800... and that's counting the banana and greek yogurt pwo... I'm sure I'll get another 500-700 in... I see some turkey in my near future :D

As an FYI - Food Lion has 99% lean ground turkey for $2.99/1.25lbs - super awesome deal - it's usually $6.50 (just in case anyone else wants to stock up). I have found that browning it with taco seasoning and eating it in a low carb tort. is delicious. I'm going to try it with some plain greek yogurt and veggies tomorrow.

Happy Saturday everyone!

12. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

I was glancing through the threads and your title intrigued me -- "Fit to Fake" -- what do you mean?

Anyway, the real reason I thought I'd reply is that I wanted to caution you on estimates of calories expended doing certain things. I'm sure you realize it's approximate, but really it could be off by a few 10s%. I bring this up because I was using a formula to calculate calories burned while biking. The numbers seemed right and agreed for awhile, but lately I've been biking more quickly and the numbers seemed a little high to me. I did some digging and came up with three different formulae to calculate calories expended while biking and they ALL disagreed with each other by - yes - 10s% (for example, one said that yesterday I expended 500 calories, another said 350, while another said 400). I'm now going with the "middle" value formula, but it's an example of a bigger issue. I'd just caution you in case you're using it to decide if you can eat that extra doughnut. ;)

13. cookeecrumbs

Hey Astro,
    I definitely agree with you about the calorie estimating
    I am actually using a body monitoring device that is supposed to be accurate within 10% - for me, that should be within 300 calories or so for the day. The true test will be to monitor what goes in and what gets used and see if the weight loss is what is expected. I do know that I have a tendency to gain muscle fairly well, so I'm sure there will be a little of that going on too, but I suspect I'll still be able to distinguish what's going on with my body (disappointing fat loss vs. a muscle gain). Here are the "what it does" specs for my body monitor.

I've read 100s of good stories about this product and if nothing else it is helping with the motivation to keep a super accurate food journal (fitday) and even pushes me a little more to go do something so that I can see what it says I burned. Silly, but if it works, it works. I'll report back on what I think of it in a month or so.

Overall, I appreciate you offering the caution to me or anyone else skimming through - hopping on the elipitcal/treadmill/bike until you've "burned 1000 calories" and then going and eating the doughnuts (or in my case, ice cream) to replace them usually doesn't work out the way people hope - I've tried that method in the past :D It's when you realize that the machines say the 300lb 6'5" man who is going about the same pace is burning the same calories as you (me, 5'5" 200ish)... I've always been told that the calories burned on a machine are a good way to compare your workouts to your workouts - if you get in there one day and "burn 400" calories and then go in the next and "burn 500" then you worked harder and/or longer the second day.

As for your other comment, it's fat to fake :)
    Here is the explanation from my first entry:
    That help? ;)

14. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

I agree that the best way is to get a good baseline for what's going on with you and then maybe come up with a multiplicative factor for your device. Accurate to within 10%, yeah, I'd probably believe that. My issue with things that, for example, measure galvanic skin response is that I would think that there would be a marked difference to how much you sweat (and hence the reading) if you're walking in 30°F weather vs. 100°F. But maybe it takes that into account. What I forgot to mention about the bike story is that it ended up taking the 2000 calories I thought I burned for the week in biking down to 1100 ... which is half a day's caloric intake in difference.

And sorry for asking the redundant question, it was late and I must have skipped over it.

15. cookeecrumbs

June 19th

Sunday June 19th
    Quick Chest Day and annoying patrons day
    Cardio 10 min (Eliptical)

DB Press
    1x15x25
    1x12x35
    1x12x40 - think I did 2 more, but didn't take anything to write on :doh: I know I ended not quite getting the last one and dropping the DB on the ground (gently... they don't like noise)

Thought about doing another set, but the kid (like 15ish maybe) was crowding me on one side and his dad that was on the cell phone the entire time was on my other side... why, I have no idea, but I digress

Incline DB Press
    1x12x25
    2x10x30 last rep was red face, slow breathing out, slow moving, but I got it :)

Standing CBL Flies
    1x12x17.5
    1x12x22.5
    didn't do a third set... barely got through those... there was a man soooo stinky that I was breathing very shallow and covering my face with my shirt between sets... like within 15 to 20' from him stinky

25 Min Treadmill
    I actually jogged for 15 min of it - only 4.5mph, but I was kind of surprised and happy with myself. The eliptical is way easier to run on and it has been a very, very long time since I've jogged for more than a few minutes

So, annoying people day ended on a good note :D

To Astro - holy cow on the bike riding discrepancy! That's a huge amount of difference... at least 2 doughnuts! :lol: And no worries about the title question - I know I occasionally run on and probably would have missed it if I was the one skimming too ;)

16. cookeecrumbs

Holy Crap YUMM!

So, I just ate a super delicious dinner... I never realized that plain greek yogurt really is that fantastic of a sour cream substitute! I just had to share.

I made a burrito:

4oz 99% lean ground turkey with taco seasoning
    3oz plain greek yogurt
    low carb tortilla
    some lettuce
    taco bell packet of hot sauce
    taco bell packet of verde sauce

264 calories (that's counting the packet of taco seasoning, but not the sauces - taco bell website said there were no calories in a packet)
    2.5g fat 17g carbs and 40.5 g protein

Anyway, it's not really a recipe or I'd go throw it over there, but yummm! I was blown away at how delicious this was and I was full full after it. I did cook the turkey very, very slowly... like took an hour and a half. I throw half the seasoning in the raw meat, mix it up, get it almost done and then add the rest and water and let it slowly cook. This was mostly because I was doing stuff around the house and didn't want to watch or burn it :D I'm sure cooking it at a normal speed would work just fine :)

17. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Love the Taco Bell sauces! My fave is the fire-roasted and the fire! YUMM!! One of my favorite things to do is take cottage cheese and blend it smooth and then add a packet of the Ranch dressing dry mix packet. I use the ranch as a salad dressing and veggie dipper.
    Not sure if you are on facebook, but if you are you should check out the page: Recipes for Gals in Figure and Bodybuilding. Jenny is awesome and I have found a lot of great clean recipes on there. :tu:

18. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Well, the page I just referred you to is having trouble right now. Jenny said that fb "lost" all her recipes on there. She is in the process of transferring all of them, but looks like she is going to blog them. Anyway, if you are interested, just "like" her page and she will notify us all when she has it all figured out. Sorry. There WERE a lot of good ones on there!

19. cookeecrumbs

Awesome tip! I hadn't even thought about looking on FB for recipes! I'll go find and friend her. Also, love the ranch dip idea! I was thinking about trying to do that with plain greek yogurt (because I have now decided that it is awesome). I'll have to try both now - I love cauliflower and ranch :)

20. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

So I know I am a little late to the party, but I wanted to offer a welcome to JSF and let you know I am subscribing to your journal also.:tucool:

Well it's hard to do anything fitness related. If it were easy, everyone would look amazing. However, I'm sure you don't want your muscles smaller. Just the stuff you don't like.

If you can do cardio at all after lifting legs, you didn't lift legs hard enough. At least that's how I feel. The legs are the fat burning muscles. I would recommend that you make it your purpose to DESTROY them on leg day. I've been advised by people smarter than me that cardio and legs should not be done on the same trip to the gym.

Just my opinions. Good luck meeting all of your fitness goals and welcome aboard.

JB