1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

GM's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Gila Monster, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Today began with a ~7.4 km fasted jog (completed in 42 minutes and 36 sec) and ended with a back/shoulders work out. I'm very happy to have succeeded to do all 3 exercises per body part, even though not always with the planned amount of reps or a not-so-great form... I'm just glad I didn't give up on any of the exercises! Like I said in my previous post - the key was to postpone what I felt like doing at the moment (not exercising) and just go on with it, not thinking too much about anything else.

Another thing I realised was that I was better off forgeting I did the work out after finishing it - this way I won't give myself excuses to not go on with the next work out (on Saturday), thinking that I was still too tired from the prev. one.

Diet wise the day was ok, not great, not bad either. I ate a sandwich outside which consisted of some tuna, hard boiled egg, some sporadic veggies and a light bread. Also I had a cup of cappuccino consisting of 3% milk only - the first flaw in my diet. I should stay away from lactose, but I love that cappuccino too much!!! Then later I ate some relatively healthy cookies (made of whole wheat flour, with no hydrogenated oil and no refined sugar). Still, They were very carb loaded and made me feel a bit puffy. Also I didn't eat nearly as many vegetables as I should. I did eat some fruits though...

Anyway, It's time for my PPWO meal which consists of some lean turkey breast and green beans, so this meal is probably the best I'll be having today.

G.

2. The Greenman

The Greenman Well-Known Member

:)

Sounds like it has been a good day...:D

Keep it up! :tu:

3. Gila Monster

Thanks, you too! :D

4. Gila Monster

Did my morning cardio with the 6 o'clock geezers, 5.6 km, didn't take time.

Doing my morning jog and eating fruits (namely peaches) seems to be doing wonders to my diegesting system. As well as avoiding milk and eggs :/

5. Gila Monster

Time for an update!

The last few days have been crazy as hell with 3 assignments due at August the 6'th. I can proudly say that I didn't skip even one cardio session and did my August the 3'd (Chest and shoulders) and August the 5'th (legs) work outs as planned even though it was kind of late for me and I was stressed wit time. I even went on a morning jog on Sunday having slept only 4 hours that night!!! There you have it folks! Dedication right there!

On a more negative note, my diet was unclean as I've been snacking a lot with chocolate bars. The results: I have zits on my face and an extra kg in my ass. Most of it is probably retained water (I've been eating a lot of salty olives aswell). I want to formulate a meticulous diet today and follow it till the end of August.

That's all for now, Morning everyone, I'll be off to jog!
    G.

6. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Way to go with sticking to your exercise! :tu: I have to say, even if I screw up with my diet, I always feel 10 times worse if I'm eating poorly coupled with inactivity :nod: So that's really good that you stayed active.

7. Gila Monster

Thank you!!! That's exactly how I feel! :nod:

8. Gila Monster

Today:

I did my morning jog, (RRRRRRAWRRR!) 5.6 km.

Breakfast: a peach, maybe 2. My usual oatmeal.
    Throughout the day I'm planning to eat some more oatmeal, 2 cheeze sandwiches (whole wheat bread, low fat yellow cheeze), 1 serving of lean turkey breast with green beans, maybe some more fruits, a nice salad and NO SNACKING!!!

W/O planned for today: Biceps and Triceps.
    I would usually do this w/o on Sunday, but I got home late yesterday and preferred to go to sleep instead.

I still have DOMS from the chest/shoulders work out :eek:
    My legs are also sore...

:bb:

9. The Greenman

Yeah! Thats the spirit! :tu:
    If anyone tries to chage that....:spank:

10. Pantera

Pantera Well-Known Member

:bow:

11. Gila Monster

I saw from your journal that you're a runner yourself!
    That's great! Running is what started my initial fat loss (as well as some muscle loss :( )

12. Gila Monster

Time for a brief update:

I did my morning run (as I will reffer to it from now on), 5.6km as usual.

I've been pretty much persistent with my work outs, except of one morning run that I missed and a missed back/traps work out which I'm considering to do today, even though I had a weight training session yesterday and I'm going to have another one tomorrow.

Diet was so-so. I might going to have to switch cheeze for tuna. I really love the cheese sandwiches but diary makes me bloated and tuna has a better macro ratio anyway (as in almost pure protein). I'm not too happy about it, but I have to find protein sources - I can't live on the protein powder the whole day.

On a brighter note, I've noticebly upped my calories since my first post. I haven't counted them yet, nor will I do untill November, but I feel like Im eating more. I feel more energized and more capable of performing weight training which is good.

---

Yesterday was my chest/shoulder exercise. it went terrible, I didn't repeat the success of the previous time. And although I did the same exercises as in the prev. time I didnt feel like I was working my muscles at all. The diffence was that this time I switched between some exercises and also lifted the same weight throughout the whole session, whilst on the prev. time I did a pyramid-like lifting routine, starting the first set with a very heavy load and continuing the others with "the usual" weight load. I also realised that I was lifting a too high weight on DB Front Raise which resulted in my not doing it in a correct form and not training my shoulder properly.

Today is my cardio only day, and tomorrow is cardio in the morning and leg w/o in the evening. I don't do the pyramid on legs, my routine is basically to lift a set amount of weight (as heavy as possible) for 3 sets with a rep range of 8-12. If I used the "pyramid" I'd exhaust my muscles on the first set and would not be able to preform as planned for the rest of sets.

I think that I should work the large muscles (legs, back) like that - lift a set amount of weight (as heavy as possible) for 3 sets with a rep range of 8-12, and the smaller ones in a pyramid-like setting with the same sets/reps range.

So I guess I can conclude this post with the following conclusions:
    - ANY diary makes me bloated ( :( )
    - Train the larger muscles with the same heavy weight throughout the whole training session [I will have to confirm that next time I train my back]
    - The small muscle groups should firstly be trained with a heavier load and proceed with the "usual" load [I might revamp that to a "real" pyramid set in the future].

P.S. I've been toying with the idea to change my training days from 4 to 3, because I like to have 1 resting day between strength training days. Should I proceed with that plan, I will train as follows:
    * Day 1: Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
    * Day 2: Back, Biceps, Trapezi
    * Day 3: Legs, Glutes [maybe].
    The exercises will primarily be compound.
    I would like to first do some ressearch on that subject though. I already have a routine and I want to follow it for some time to see how it affects me.

That was a long post! I wonder if anyone will actually read through it. :lol:

13. The Greenman

Hey Gila,

I must say 3 muscle groups on one W\o, every second night sounds kinda hard, though I'd love to read your update once you start w\o out like that. If it works I'll consider doing the same.

About the cheese sandwich, I'm sorry to hear. Its hard to restrict what you like, but if it makes you feel bloated then its not worth it I guess. Maybe you can look for some diery replacement products (sp?) such as Tofu or even a Soy "yellow cheese" (if there is something like that). As far as I know Soy is a good source of Protein and it comes in lots of different shapes and sizes, although it probebly cost more then a canned box of Tuna. Don't know about you... after eating one can of tuna fish I can't even think of doing it again for 2 weeks at least :nope:

What else can I say,
    GL Gila! :gl:
    Hope you reach that goal soon, thats a great choice of Goals :D

14. Gila Monster

Actually many do a 3 day split routine, it's very popular!
    For now I'm just toying with the idea.

Thanks!

I tried the tofu substitude for yellow cheese... It was decent, but it just didn't taste the same AND it was quite costly. I don't object tofu products, but I think that for now they're too expensive. Plus I'm not sure that they are a good source of complete protein.

I guess I'll have to go for tuna for now...
    It's really funny how tuna tastes yucky as long as it's *I* who make the sandwich. If I were to buy a tuna sandwich it wouldn't taste that bad at all... Even if it was made in all the healthiest way possible. I guess it's just a psychological hatered for fish in general and tuna in particular. [​IMG]

15. Gila Monster

I did the 2.5 km run today, but I varied from HIT and MIT. I really like what running does to my calves, I gained an inch without training them at all and now I proudly stand at 13"

[​IMG]

#95 Gila Monster, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  16. The Greenman

:drool:....

I mean......Good Job Gila!

Looks awsome! looks solid and very defined . Gj!

17. Gila Monster

Now to which dirty realms can I take your comment? :D

18. The Greenman

which ever realm you want! :D

19. Gila Monster

Nah, too late, the joke's deadline is over!

20. Gila Monster

I did my leg/glutes work out today as follows:

BB Sumo Squats (not 'ass to grass' style): 4 sets:8 reps:20 kg/44 lbs

Seated Leg Extentions: 4 sets:8 reps:20 kg/44 lbs

Stiff Legged BB Deadlifts (my personal favorites): 4 sets:12 reps: 20 kg/44 lbs (I should up that weight, my concern is my shoulders - I'm not sure I'll be able to hold so mush weight :blank: )

BB Single Leg Split Squat: 3 sets:6 reps: 15 kg/ 33 lbs (I should use a lighter weight next time. Today was the first time I did this exercise and I couldn't really execute it with a good form. Besides, after having done it I feel an unpleasant straign in my back).

So now I'm sipping my PWO shake and enjoying my computer chair. Hope I'll feel better tomorrow.

Good evening!