1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

GM's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Gila Monster, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

Well those are the only people out and about at 6am in the morning! :)

Shahar.

2. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

:lol:

Touche!

3. Gila Monster

I'm back! :tu:

I did my morning jog - 5km in 27 minutes and 40 seconds. It's not a new record, just a flatter running route.

Breakfast - the usual.

w/o planned for today - biceps/triceps

---

I've been thinking about my achievemnts of the past few months. I have lost some fat but also a significant amount of muscle (although I did gain an inch on my calves and my abs became stronger - running is anabolic after all :p ). I'm wearing smaller sized clothes, but I'm also quite flabby and soft.

So, starting from next month I shall attempt to bulk for the first time *gasp*.

It's very hard for me to overcome the mental barreer of eating more and a possible fat% gain, but I really really want to gain muscle size so that I'll be able to have a firmer body and better sculpted muscles.

My plan is still in formation, but roughly it's going to be something alone those lines:

- Cardio - 3 times / week (fasted) 7.5 km route.
    - Weight lifting - the same routine I've been (unconsistantly) doing untill now (4 day split), but with sets/reps targeted towards mass gain. I'm not sure about training my calves and abs because running seems to be working out those muscles pretty well. I'm considering the posibility of training my abs and glutes on the cardio days.
    - Diet - start off with 1550 cals / day with a ratio % of 50c/30p/20f. The calories aren't much, but my body has proven to need relatively little calories (My calculations show that my LBM is around 90 lbs, so this is probably the reason. I will tweak my diet according to the mass gains). I should mention that in order to minimize the catabolic effectrs of fasetd cardio I will eat no later than half an hour after finishing it (that should be enough time to stretch and prepare breakfast).

This attempt will only be during August, since Im planning a hiking trip throughout September and half of October (The Greenman and I are planning to hike across Israel - you should expect some photos ;) ). August is planned to be a trial period to learn how to have a better bulk so that I'll be able to start a "real" one in November.

I'm probably going to have it all recorded a-la-John's-100-points-challenge style.

Good morning!
    G.

4. Black-Dawn

I too used to think I need less calories than what all those calorie calculators showed. However, in the last 2 weeks I've been cutting
    very nicely with BWx12 +/- calories. Maybe Its an issue of increased
    lean mass or maybe my metabolism adjusted to the increased intake.
    So if you are going to eat at/over maintenance for over a month be ready to slowly increase calories as your body might adjust.

Did you ever try a full body routine or a upper/lower split?
    I can't say that those programs are better than a more traditional split
    as I've never tried a traditional split. :)
    BUT
    If you are going for mass increase, I think you will get more "bang
    for the buck" by doing extra big compounds rather then spending a full
    workout session training triceps/biceps.

:gl: in your bulking experience.

Shahar

5. Gila Monster

Hey, thanks a lot! :) For the wishes, but also for reading my longish post :p
    I will tweak the diet with the expected mass gains, I think that 1550 cal is a good starting point although I realise I'll have to up it in the future.

BTW, a quick calculation showed that my BW (in pounds) X 12 is 1388 calories. :confused:

I tried a year (?) ago a full body routine for some time, but I didn't like it that much. I just feel nicer when I split my w/o's as much as possible - I feel like I'm actually working. It might be entirely psychological, but psychology is an integral element of working with your body.

G.

6. Black-Dawn

Yep Its all in your head. I don't know how much you can relate
    to this, as at least from your earliest pictures that I've seen you have never really been overweight,
    but for me at least being fat is not just a Physical state it is also a state of mind.

Shahar.

7. The Greenman

The Greenman Well-Known Member

Good Luck

Good Luck Gila!

Your plan sure sounds promising.

I think its time that I'll start bulking aswell....
    I hope the ICR (Israel Cross Road) Will help our diets!

WooHoo! Can't wait! :spaz:

I wonder what 1.5 months in the "wild" will do to us!

8. Gila Monster

What it will do to your hair is even more interesting! [​IMG]

9. Gila Monster

I think everybody is like that. Besides, I have a relatively small frame (my wrists are 5.5") so I may not have looked that fluffy, but my BF% was pretty high. I think my highest was around the 30'sh in the army, but I didn't look extremely overweight even then.

As for the exercises, I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that each muscle group should be trained with several exercises, and I know I will only be able to preform once exercise/muscle group on a full body routine, even if it's compound. Besides, I want to limit my workouts for no longer than an hour. I was even considering the option of doing a 7 day split and training a different muscle goup each day to minimize my w/o time.

I'll just have to experiment and see what works best for me. :)

10. The Greenman

Geee Thanks Gila.... :p

You should sleep with your eyes open while we are on the ICR....who knows...maybe some toothpaste will meet your face while you are asleep. I wonder what will look funnier then....my hair...or your face... [​IMG]
    Muhahahahah!

11. Gila Monster

Yeah?

Too bad you'll be locked outside the tent, rendezvousing with the mosquitos!

12. The Greenman

what tent?

What tent?

I'm not gonna carry any tent on my back...

I prefer carrying my bucket of hair sculpting Gel :D

so we will both enjoy rendezvousing with the mosquitos!

Isn't it great! We'll do anything together!

13. Gila Monster

You bastard! :lol:

14. Gila Monster

Time for an update:

Yesterday I did my usual 5.6 km jog, didn't take time measurments.
    With that said, my diet was as crappy as it hasn't been for a long time! I had insane chocolate cravings (I didn't eat my usual oats-N-cocoa which usually calms down my cravings) and indulged with 3.5 chocolate bars (damn those tasty Ta'ami's!!!!!)

----

Today:

I didn't feel like jogging for some reason so I decided to do some HIIT instead of my usual jog. I ran for ~2.5 km in 13 minutes and 40 sec, varying between 40 seconds of sprinting and 20 sec. of my usual phase.

Otherwise, today it August the 1'st and my plan isn't formulated yet. I'm going to have to redo 2 exams, so I'm going to be overloaded with studies again. What I should do is take half an hour and formulate a plan which I can follow, but I really don't want to do that. I hate changes and I wish whole heartly to go on doing what I've been doing so far, even though I'm not progressing anymore.

15. The Greenman

Yeah, Those Ta'ami Chocolate bars are one obsticle that is almost impossible to overcome! although Egozi owns Ta'ami anytime! Damn those small evil hard to resist chocolate bars...!

Sounds good. How did it feel once you were done with it? Did you feel that you W\o or just wasted long time stamina in seconds to save time?

I know what you mean....wonder how :D .....
    Before you jump over your Pupik (Belly Button in heb) are you sure your current plan do not progress you anymore? I have seen your pictures from months ago, before and after you started your current plan. I must say that so far it did wonders with you. I think you should keep on testing your food and stomach reactions and make your W\o plan steadier. So far your Morning fasted Cardio has been pretty steady which is awsome. you said it yourself that by doing so you added 1.5 inch to your leg muscles. That means you might be on the right way already, just need to keep it steady.

Don't give up!
    I belive in you!
    :gl:

#75 The Greenman, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  16. Gila Monster

Im not sure I understand the question. Anyway, I did more than just blanking out in front of the comp, so that's never a waste! :D

heh, thanks!

yeah, I need to: 1. Plan my meals and stop eating "by feeling" - I want to at least be aware of what enters my body (calories, macros...). 2. Form a w/o plan that would promote mucsle gain. My LBM is ridiculously low and I need to build more muscle if I want to: A. continue losing fat (I reached an all time low of 52-52.5 kg with a ~20% BF :rolleyes: . I stopped losing fat and I'm not pleased about it), B. have a firmer body composition and not just a proportionaly looking flab.

BTW, it's 1 inch, not 1.5, although I wouldn't mind ading a bit more muscle to my chicken calves! :lol:

17. Pantera

Pantera Well-Known Member

It looks like you've been doing a good job! You just need to focus a little more, take some time and organize everything to the smallest detail. By the way... Need to go and update my w/o log!!!:D

18. Black-Dawn

I think there is a middle ground. You don't have to do a religiously fanatic training challenge (A.K.A John's august challenge).
    You can take it one step at a time by starting to track your food intake using some program, but not micromanaging everything excessively.

Myself I track my food intake on nutridiary.com but I don't have macro goals for example or preplanned meals.
    I have basic protein intake and total calories goals.

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid

IF you have been able to reach 20% bodyfat by "feeling eating"
    a little planning and a tad of micromanaging should get you down another few % points.

my 2cents.

Shahar.

19. Gila Monster

Middle ground doesn't work for me - which is why I fall so much off the wagon :lol:
    I used to micro-manage my diet (calculate the % splits... all that crazy stuff) but I didn't see results, got frustrated and dropped it. I want to give it a go again, if only to understand how to feed my body better. I used to think that I'm carb sensitive, but I'm not sure about it anymore so I'd like to experiment with ratios and different caloric intakes to see what works for me. I actually miss calculating every oat flake that enters my mouth! :lol:

But - my w/o is what needs a more urgent planning and this is what I'm going to do now!

20. Gila Monster

I decided to take a small break from jogging today and I wish I didn't - it completely set me off track! I was craving all day for various crappy foods. I didn't indulge in any face stuffing, but I felt quite miserable.

On a more positive note - today is a landmark (hopefully) on my path to become a more dicsiplined person. I did yesterday's missed back/traps work out despite my complete lack of desire to do that. I was very much inspired by John's news on August the 2'nd and Guava's post in her journal, in particular the note on the 16'th. Those posts made me realize that the world will not come to an end if I postphoned by a little the things I wanted to do (sleep) and did the things I needed to do. Also, I realized that a not-great exercise is better than none!

I could go on and on about the wonders of a positive attitude, but I should really go to bed.

Nighty night!
    G.