1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

GM's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Gila Monster, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

1'st year of college is finally over, my vacation is the high time to get myself fitter.

So starting from tomorrow I shall add to my daily cardio also strength traning - 4 day split with belly exercises inbetween. Since tomorrow I'm to lift weights today I should do my crunches.

I don't have a specific goal yet, this is going to be more of an information gathering period - of how my body works and what's best for it diet and exercise wise.

So far I have discovered that meat (poultry and beef) isn't very good for me, I'll just have to rely on alternative protein sources and vegetable protein, albeit not as good as the one from meat.

I've also been experimenting with my diet in general and my conclusions are as follows:

* Note that those conclusions derived from personal experiments and trials, those aren't by any means suggestions for anybody else. Except of the part about veggies and chewing.

- Eat more vegetables (Everybody should do that! :eat: )
    - Most fruits might make me feel bloated. Apples are ok in moderate quantities.
    - Meat should be consumed with caution. As in almost none :(
    - I hate canned tuna
    - Eggs are ok
    - CHEW FOOD BETTER!!! (Everybody should do that too! It's great for the diegestion process)
    - Fish: I only tolerate salmon and in small quantities
    - Too much food makes me feel bloated
    - Junk food makes me feel bloated
    - I should cut out milk, then go back to it after a while and see if it makes me feel bloated aswell.
    - I shouldn't eat according to some daily calloric quota but rather eat anough and as often so to satisfy my hunger. At this point I don't worry about the macronutrients that much because I'm currently focused on eliminating all junk, rather than eat the 'right' amounts of nutrients.
    - Don't eat when not hungry!

So for now my diet is going to be fairly limited, I will consume not as much protein as advised, and probably not as many callories. With time I hope to have more variety in my menu.

For now - some motivation pics:
    [​IMG]

#1 Gila Monster, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. Gila Monster

I did my morning cardio today, although I only ran 1/3 of the wanted distance and 1/2 of the usual one because it was hot, I felt bloated from yesterday's gorging on Brazil Nuts (very tasty nuts, big mistake to eat more than 4-5).

In the afternoon I'm to do my belly exercises.

3. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Oh cool, another journal.

Here's a small mantra my basketball coach taught us for conditioning.

"The mind is weak but the body can endure."

It still helps me when I'm doing the hated cardio.

4. Gila Monster

That is a great mantra, IWAC! I'll add it to my growing signature!

5. Gila Monster

Didn't do my crunches yesterday, I was feeling groggy and bloated and had a terrible stomach ache. The late night Saturday meal didn't help.

I'm feeling pretty much the same today, but I won't give up my morning jog. Hope I will be able to run the whole distance today.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'll be watching! I like your plan and your goals. Good luck Gila!

I hope you get feeling better. Let us know please.

-Chris

PS - your avatar is the best one on JSF. :tucool:

PPS - on the fruit issue, have you tried grapefruit? :drool:

7. Gila Monster

Back from the jog. I ran the 5.6 km (~3.48 miles) route but I didn't take any time measurements because at that point I was just happy to have decided to do the cardio. My fastest result was 32 minutes sharp.
    I have recently started testing my stamina at jogging 7.5 km (~4.72 miles), and although I felt I could do it this time I chickened out. I should chant the mantra in my signature more often! :p

Anyways, while jogging my stomach became gradually better. It no longer aches, and I feel just a little bit bloated, so 3 cheers to the miracle of running!

Cheers X 3

As far as my diet goes today, I will be very cautious not to overeat. My breakfast and the meal after usually consist of 50 gr of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein (24 gr of protein, 1 gr. of fat, 3 gr. of carbs), 1 tbsp of unrefined sugar and 1 tbsp of cocoa powder (for body and soul! :D Actually it's a great trick because this concoction helped me overcome my chocolate cravings. It just feels as if I eat chocolate for breakfast!)

I will eat many fresh veggies today, as far as my protein intake - I'm not sure. I have this heavy feeling in my stomach whenever I think of a protein source other than the powder, so I'll approach this with caution.

Chris - you know I like your avatar very much! ;)
    - I love red grapefruit, the yellow one is just too bitter. But even more than that I LOVE the pomelo fruit. Sadly it's out of season :/ I also love peaches, but can't eat too many of them.

8. Gila Monster

Another good conclusion:

- Drink more water. Sometimes drinking that cup of water can satisfy that momentary craving for something to munch on!

I should summarise them eventually, once I've done concluding! :D

9. Gila Monster

10. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

Ya know GilaMonster, instead of typing down that huge list
    of what you can't eat you could have just said
    "I don't eat many things/much"

:)

I think you can cook humos seeds in water for a decent protein
    source, and probabely other type of energy rich seeds and such.

Do you hate all types canned tuna? eating it straight from the can is normally gross but with some 5% mayo/veggies you can make a decent salad in under 5mins.
    add a couple of hard boiled eggs for a serious protein rich meal.

Shahar.

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Glad you are feeling better. :)

Protein foods... Hmm... What about chicken? Turkey? Cottage cheese? You said eggs were OK, well there are a lot of ways you can make eggs, and you can add a lot of spices and other foods to them (I do all the time). Try putting a little bit of parmesan cheese and a little bit of milk in the eggs and then scramble them - VERY tasty. :)

I love PINK grapefruit. :D They have been hard to find lately though for some reason. Peaches are usually easy to find here where I live. I've never had pomelo fruit, and had never heard of it until you mentioned it so I looked online and found some info:

I have never seen it around here that I can remember, but I am going to keep my eye out!!! Sounds like something I'd like. :tucool:

12. Gila Monster

This is a sort of an information log and it's important for me that I specify all my "findings". Otherwise I might go back to it someday and wonder what foods exactly was I not allowed to eat.

Thanks for the advice, but I can't eat hummus. :(

It's not so much that I hate the tuna itself, it's the fact that it's canned. I dont' really trust canned food.

13. Gila Monster

Thank you!

I'm sort of experimenting currently, I dont think I can eat poultry or beef in large portions (and I mean large as in bigger than a spoonfull :doh: ), I can eat fish because they are sort of lighter and I will DEFINATELY do that thing with the eggs and cheese!!!! I think that I will limit my diary intake to only cheese because diary fills my throat with mucous.

Ooh! Pink grapefruit has this gentle refreshing flavor... I love it!!
    Pomelo fruit tastes a it stronger than pink grapefruit, but their flavors are sort of similar. I think you'll enjoy it! :tucool:

14. Gila Monster

Im finally near a computer again!

So Saturday was a leg w/o. (quasd and hams) It went pretty ok. I realised I hated doing leg curls (my device doesn't have the optimal structure for this exercise and it feels uncomfortable) so I switched to deads.

I didn't go heavy on my hams exercises (seated curls and squats) because my knees were creaking in an odd, scary way.
    I should realy post a vidoe of me doing squats for people's opinion on my form.
    I love/hate doing squats. I love the way they work the entire upper leg, and I hate how difficult they are :lol:

Sunday was not a good day because I didnt get to exercise at all. I thought of all those excuses I'd post, but at the end it doesn't matter really. I didn't exercise and that's that. Sort of pity, but I had this event in the evening and I couldn't even do my w/o. I wanted to say it because im planning to post some pics in my private image gallery :D

Today I woke up too late to do a fasted cardio (it's already very hot ouside) so I'll start my day with a w/o and hopefully get a cardio in the evening. I hope it wont be too dark before the temperature cools down. It's like a 102 degrees outside. Lemonsong, if you're reading this, I hope it wasn't hard to adapt to the weather changes!

- G.

P.S.
    - I think that brazil nuts make me bloat! I'll stick to pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds for now!

15. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey Gila :)

Very strange about the chicken/beef. Have you tried cooking chicken in different ways? Just wondering.

Fish is an awesome protein source though so you should be okay. I would like more variety but hey you do what you gotta do I suppose. Catfish is one of my favorite foods though!

Hamstrings: I read about an exercise from mastover and my girlfriend tried them first (she liked them a lot) and today I tried them (I like them too). Stiff legged deadlifts ... with dumbbells. :) Of course the barbell is great, but if you get bored you might want to try with dumbbells as the replacement for your leg curls. I found that I really got a good stretch in the back of my legs when I tried these today.

And finally, I love sunflower seeds. :)

16. The Greenman

The Greenman Well-Known Member

:d

Gila!

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

I had a rough weekend myself.

Guys! beware of the evil "Cini-meanies"! (Cinamon (sp?) flavored cereals) my god, one dish of that industrial crap and my body went on a strike for 4 days :bang: .

Start working out and eating right again. Let your mantra guide your way, don't let your body's weakness slow you down! We all know allready that when your mind is set you are a fast runner!

"I ran the 5.6 km (~3.48 miles) My fastest result was 32 minutes sharp."

You set an example for all of us, so keep on the good work! :tu:

- Greenie :D

17. Gila Monster

I tried meat in different forms, it's just too heavy for me i guess. I'll stick to fish for now. I've never tried catfish (I've never heard of it in fact :lol: ) But I love Salmon! Not more than 3 times / week though.
    I hate fish. :( Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Oh... i LOVE deadlifts!!! (That was the exercise I used to replace laying leg curls). I used to do them a lot but decided to vary with the curls. Bad decision I guess :P
    For primary hamstring w/o I do stiff legged deadlifts and for lower back w/o I do romanian deadlifts.

18. Gila Monster

Oh yeah, I'm totally banning those from my diet!!!

Yeah, I wanna do that. It's just that I have this friend who, whenever I come to his place, offers irresistable goodies that it takes more willpower than I have to refuse to, and I end up stuffing my face with crap :(
    I think I'll stop going there!

:lol:
    Speak for yourself! :D

---

Hey Green(ie), you know - the pumpkin seeds really worked their magic! I highly reccomend!!!

19. The Greenman

The Greenman Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm....Just tell me who that "friend" is and i'll teach him a lesson or two! :spank:. besides, who needs friends? they are overrated anyway. :D

I gonna certainly try them out!
    I'll do anything to break the Belly Union strike! :spaz: