1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

getting some dumbbells for my disabled friend

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by brett, Jun 24, 2013.

1. brett

brett Active Member

I have a good friend who's 46 and was in a major car accident 20 years ago. Had a compound femur fracture, broke both knees, really messed up one ankle. They told him he'd never walk again, but he actually gets around pretty well. Has trouble with stairs, but doesn't need a cane or anything. He also had surgery on his left shoulder (something arthroscopic, forget what the actual surgery was).

And the guy's had a pretty rough time lately. His dad died when he was 13, his mom died 2 years ago, his brother died a year ago, and about 6 months ago he got thyroid cancer and had to have that nuked.

So, he has a handicapped license plate, but other than the shoulder being a little weak, I think he's fine for upper body workouts. And he wants to get in shape. His doctor told him if he warms up and takes it kinda easy he should be fine to lift weights. He's 6'0" and I'd guess about 335 lbs. without really any muscle tone.

I was thinking maybe I'd get him some dumbbells to use at home. We were in Walmart today, and I asked him how good his shoulder was. He just did a few overhead tricep extensions. He did 10 reps of 10 lbs, and could've done more. Then he did 5 reps of 15 lbs. and probably couldn't have done many more.

So I was thinking if he just had a weight bench and some dumbbells, he could do some tricep stuff, military, curls, flies, bench, whatever, and get a decent upper body workout.

I was just wondering if anybody had any good suggestions. I was thinking he could use a 12 lb. one for triceps, then maybe a pair of 20 lb. weights for everything else?

I'm sure he could bench more than a 20 lb. dumbbell, but say I got him a pair of 35 lb. dumbbells, well then he's gotta pick them up off the floor and lay back on the bench, and I think just getting into position with something like that he could tweak his shoulder up or something.

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

You could get a set of adjustable dumbbells. That will allow him to switch to heavier weights later on, but still use light weights for the "smaller" exercises. Adjustable sets are a little more expensive then say a pair of 10s, but they are also cheaper and easier to store that a range of dbs from 5 to 50. And, if your friend gets in to it, it's easy to buy a few more plates, an ez curl bar, and barbell to bulk up a home gym.

Some people don't like the adjustable--they certainly aren't as convenient to use, but for me they are simply more convenient to own.

Also, check craigslist--weight equipment can be found real cheap there. It takes up a lot of room and people just want it gone when the realize they aren't using it, get a gym membership, or are moving.

Jaer
    has a basement gym. Uses a lot of adjustable weights.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Yep. Find 'em used....you will save a fortune.

--

Know this: resistance exercise will absolutely help him rehab his broken body.....but at 336 pounds....95% of his war is going to be won by winning a whole bunch of small battles in the kitchen.

Seriously, if this guy wants to live a longer life he needs to get his diet in order as a massive priority.

--

Good luck to your friend.....and just tell him that the accident doesn't have to define him.

I was in a similar accident. Multiple injuries to both legs.....and I pulled an arm out of the shoulder socket...apparently holding on to the steering wheel with a death grip....