1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Get there. Stay there.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by The_Tic, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    DOMS for the win! :D

2. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

Indeed sir!

Reminds me of a couple weeks ago before writing here again, of a workout that I did involving toes to bar. I did a few of those before my abs said I could not lift my toes that high, so I modified and finished out my sets with hanging knees to chest using ab straps.

ENTIRE upper body DOMS. I did not know that abs would be sore all the way up to the rib cage in that manner. I do mean like up in the sternum. My lats screamed.

I'm gonna do them again soon. :p

3. The_Tic

Thus far its been a day.

My youngest son is sick so he stayed home from school and this guy took care of the poor munchkin.
    We were going to go to Wright State and watch Neil DeGrasse Tyson speak, but with my son in the shape he is in we had to skip out.
    Thankfully it is being streamed.

Thus far I have gotten on the indoor bike for a short 30 min ride on it.
    When the little lady gets back I will do an "easy" workout at the gym with her.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope your son is feeling better today.

5. The_Tic

Unfortunately he was not. I think he may be halfway there today.

Speaking of the poor guy, the night before last we were getting ready to hit the gym and noticed he was running a little bit warm to the touch. Took his temps and gave him some meds, and a Popsicle and made sure he went back to sleep without getting sick again. Then I hit the hay.
    I will tell you though that I did get in a 30 min bike right after work so not all is lost.

Yesterday, his mother took him for the day, and the rest of the kids went to school. I took half the day off and fiance and I went to a local store and bought my wedding shoes. :tu:

So what does a guy who is into running and fitness get for a wedding shoe, utilizing that to display a little bit of who I am, how I met my future wife, PLUS incorporate colors of the wedding? Well, I shall present with a picture link:

This guys awesome shoes for a wedding

Once I got home, she had to take her daughter to a friends house for an overnight and I took advantage of that time with no children hanging around and went for a 3 mile run.

After the boys went to bed we hit the gym and I did a crossfit workout consisting of:

15 Hang Cleans
    15 Pull Ups (assisted for this guy)

3 rounds for time.

She was still on the bike by the time I got done so I tossed in 3 x 20 walls balls and ball slams.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't often say this, but I love the shoes. :)

7. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

The shoes are cool.

Just out of curiosity because I was discussing this with someone recently, are you getting your groomsmen any sort of gift? Until recently I didn't realize it was tradition to do that.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Those are cool shoes for sure.

When I went to my law school "graduation dance" or "prom" or whatever they called it...I wore bright blue Pumas that matched my shirt with a navy suit. It was pretty rad.

9. The_Tic

Thank you.
    I was informed by the dear fiance that I have a shoe problem and may need an intervention. :lol:
    I am actually pretty stoked that shoe manufactures are moving away from the dull plain blue, black, or red shoes and trying something different.

Thank you.
    I guess there may be a tradition of this and I didn't the first time I got married, but maybe I should consider it this time. :confused:

Thank you.
    How cool is it to step around the bounds of what people consider "traditional" and do something different and fun? :madpimp:

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It may be a regional thing, but I know that for every wedding where I've been a groomsman I received a present from the groom and when I got married I did the same for mine.

:lol:

It can be a lot of fun. When I got married wifey and I didn't waltz for our first dance and instead had the band play a Stevie Ray Vaughn song. Over a quarter century later friends and family still remark about it. :D

11. The_Tic

Don't fall over. I took Saturday off from working out.
    Of course we decided it would be ok to go to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner. It wasn't. I about died the next morning when I say I was up 4 pounds from the salt intake.

Sunday I got a call from a buddy to go running. His fiance said she would watch my boys for me while we did so.
    Only problem was I wasn't home and it would have taken me 30 min to go back and get my gear. Then it would have taken me another hour to get to his place. :doh:

As it happened to be, I was in the same store that I bought the Newton Gravity for the wedding. Being the curious type of running (as we all can be when it comes to stuff for our feet IE Shoes..) I took a look at the Newton Distance. It's made for Tempo and shorter runs or even races, and due to the fact that they did not include rubber on the heal (lighter) and went with a foam type heal, I thought it would help me be very very conscious of where my foot was landing so that I wouldn't ruin the shoes in 3 runs. At 30% off the original price due to them being last years model, plus the invite to a run... I picked them up.

I then went to my buddies house, borrowed shirt, shorts and socks, geared up and we headed out. He is is just getting back to the run so we kept it short at 2 miles, which was perfect for the first run in the Distance.

Here is my thought on them.

Wow. :tucool:

Landing midfoot, and the lugs helping propel my foot forward was a way cool feeling. Keep in mind I have been running in the cadence to help transition to this crazy thought of not landing on my heal. The cushioning is a bit firm, but again I knew it would be because of what they are designed for. The Pure Cadence will be my distance shoe up to the wedding, and then after I will switch to the Gravity.
    It is taking my feet a little adjusting to the shoe. Some soreness of not having a whole lot there to support the foot.

Yesterday I didn't have a whole lot of time so I wound up only hitting the gym once. So, I pulled off a combo move and ran, then did crossfit immediately after. Oh that was a good call. Felt great.
    I wore the Distance on the treadmill for another 2 miles, and was running faster than the last time I ran. Less effort as well. I am pretty stinkin impressed with this whole "natural running" thing they keep talking about out there in Boulder, CO.
    After the run, I switched over to my Nike Free and hit the Crossfit.

EMOTM (Every Min. On The Min.) for 10 min.

7 Thrusters
    15 Dips

I just looked at that workout and it looks like I forgot to do the jump rope portion at the end. It's all good. I got enough cardio in with the treadmill. :lol:

12. The_Tic

Need to update for yesterday:

I only had the chance to get a 3 mile run in due to sick munchkins staying at home. Non the less. Got one in and done.

I'll hit the bike here in a bit and then the gym later this evening. :nod:

13. The_Tic

Hit the gym tonight and decided to combine workouts due to obligations I had earlier in the day. By that I mean I did two crossfire workoits in a row.
    :D

14. The_Tic

Sorry for the disappearance.
    The future Mrs. has been looking for new jobs and I have been spending time in support of that. Not to worry though, I have been working out.

Due to lifes time crunch's though, I scaled back the workouts to one a day :(
    I do have to say though, that I have been eating as healthy as possible, and I think I am seeing results in the mirror, but not the scale. I am fine with that, as I don't care how much I weigh as long as it's the good stuff. :lol:

I am still running, lifting and crossfitting, but have not been on the bike for a serious amount of time. I should rectify that.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice job on balancing all the demands of life!

16. The_Tic

Thanks! It is effort well worth it!

17. The_Tic

Goofed up yesterday.

It was supposed to be a run day, but for some reason I thought it to be a lift day.

So I lifted.

Heavy day full body. After warm up lifts performed:

3 Reps

Squats
    Pullups
    Bent over rows
    Dead Lifts

Then came bench press
    Unfortunately I pushed the bar off the rack and barely got it off my chest.
    It wasn't too heavy, as it was a weight I knew I could handle 3 reps with ease, however; there was a major amount of pain in my inner elbow joint, to forarm. I am not sure what caused it, as there was no inclination of this with all the other moves I did. It was very odd.
    I guess I shall rest it and try the bench another day.