1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Get there. Stay there.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by The_Tic, Mar 4, 2013.

1. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

Do you want the long version or the short version? :confused:

What do you mean shut it windbag? :cry:

Fine, the short version.

Remember that half marathon I ran? Remember the biggest loser contest I won at my work because I literally trained my ass off for the half marathon?
    Well, I stopped training. Started gaining. Blood pressure went through the roof. Heart rate was high. I felt like crap.
    Because I let life get in the way. I chose to think that I did not have the time to do what I should be doing for myself.
    Shit. That is simply what it is. It's shit. I know better. We all do in this forum don't we?
    To bring it forward, I now have the BEST supportive fiance in the world. She encourages me to get to the gym. She encourages to run. She encourages to eat healthy (She only cooks healthy for that matter so that helps A LOT).
    I have made a lot of life changes, and I am back on track to getting into shape, my blood pressure down, and over all happier than ever.

Here is my NOW:

Weight: 194 lbs :mad: (Was at 198 a couple weeks ago)
    BP: ~ 130/85 (It was worse, ~ 190/96)

Here is what I have been up to:
    Crossfit, lifting, Running, and indoor bike training. Watching what I eat, and when I eat. I am also on lisinopril for the BP.
    I don't have a particular goal weight in mind to be honest. Last time I lost the weight I was down to 160 and still had flab on my body. Looking back, I lost a lot of muscle due to the fact there was no weight training involved.
    Looking in the mirror I definitely see changes, my fiance said that I have added muscle for sure over the past couple of months, so I am good with it at this time.
    My blood pressure is coming down but I want it to be better.
    My running is no where near where I want to be. I need to get back into half distance shape and stay there. I have to get back into my jeans that I bought when i lost the weight before and stay in them.

and the kicker

Get it all done by June 7th.
    It's going to be the day I get married after all.

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Sounds like you have an excellent plan and motivation. I doubt you'll have any trouble getting into great shape by your wedding. :gl:

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Woot! I love a deadline. Get to it.

Good luck, man. It sounds like you're one lucky son of a... well, congrats on the impending matrimony. :D

4. The_Tic

Thanks Lenny!
    I am a lucky son of a....! :D

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

The-Tic is in it to win it! Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. Your fitness goals sound very doable. I'm also on lisinopril and it does a great job of keeping the blood pressure down without weird side effects.

One goal you might consider is getting into those jeans again but at a weight of 170 pounds with the extra weight as muscle in your chest, back and arms.

Good luck, bro.

6. The_Tic

Thanks Carguy!

If I have to buy new jeans because I have added leg muscle then so be it. I guess my issue is the gut that came with the loss of working out. :doh: However; adding mass to the upper body is for sure something that is happening already, and may be due to the fact that I used to lift quite a bit in the past.
    This time around I feel that it is a more balanced approach being that I am concentrating on strength and endurance.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Firstly, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Secondly, it's nice to see you back here and I'm looking forward to following along.

8. The_Tic

Thank you Seltzer! It's great to be back!

For lunch today I ran a nice 3 miles.
    Since it IS Ohio, it was nice to have a non windy, non freeze your arse off kinda day to do this run.
    I hear that snow is to be expected over night and lots of it. I wonder if shoveling snow for AMRAP in XX time counts for crossfit? :evil:

I will be taking DD to the eye doc later to see if the contacts she just got fit for a going to work out, and then after that I will hit the gym to sling some heavy plates around. Just warn the other folks to duck.

9. BJ

BJ Active Member

Congrats to you two!!! I'll be following along with your journey - let's do this!

10. The_Tic

Thanks BJ! Best part is we decided to get married right around the two year mark of when we met. All that will be missing is some mud. Haha

I shall be following yours too buddy. Maybe you can make it up here or we can make it down there and we can throw down a workout.

Hit the gym tonight with the little lady.
    We each did our own thing but I would say we both had solid workouts.
    She learned and loved a few new moves and I did a 3x3 lift on the four major areas and then decided to try some cleans (I have never done them). Fell in love with the clean. Cant wait to add that in the mix.
    on another positive gym note; I am edging closer to the weights I used to lift before I ran without lifting. Feels good to get a balance going between lifting and running. :bb:

11. The_Tic

Yesterday I neglected to post. My bad.

Anyway, I managed to hop on the bike during my lunch break and spent an hour peddling away. I thought about doing the Spinervals video I rented but for whatever reason thought that it just wasn't going to be something that I wanted to do at the moment. So, steady state 90 to 105 RPM spinning while watching shows it was. Good workout to be honest. At the end of it all, I reached 20 stationary miles, had sweat dripping and was informed of how they build custom cars a la "West Coast Customs" style. :madpimp:

Here after lunch I shall wow you with a crossfit workout entry. :bb::cry::flex:
    Then later tonight when the little lady and I attend the gym I show wow you some more with a run workout on the treadmill. :kickrock:
    oh treadmill. How I loath you but still need you on these nasty snow covered sidewalk days in Ohio. :burr:

Forgot to mention and thus this awesome edit:

I stepped on the scales this morning.
    I'm down a pound.
    Boom.

12. skippy

skippy Member

I think you got this easily by June 7th. A wedding is a very good incentive to look your best!

I enjoy biking too. I used to do spin classes and they almost killed me, in a good way.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Big exercise day! Are you trying to make the rest of us look like slackers? :lol:

Seriously, that bike ride sounds intense.

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:nod:

How do you get time to cycle, crossfit, AND run in the same day???

15. The_Tic

NAH!! Compared to the rest of you guys I have been a major slacker for awhile. I am just playing catch up.

I have made up my mind that I will have big days, but I do rest too. Like last night, I wanted to go to the gym but crashed. The sleep was what the body ordered so the body got it. :lol:

The ride wasn't too bad, but I tell you what, see if you can rent Spinervals Sweating Buckets. That was 50 mins of intense that I haven't done in awhile. Interval style work and true to its name. :eek:

I haven't done all three in one day... yet. :) I would though. Depends on my mindset of the day, AKA Stress. HAHA

Basically though as far as how I have time, I work from home MOST of the time. This allows me to hit the SNAP gym that I normally use in my town. If I go into office I have two gyms to choose from; the one in the office workplace or I could go across the street to SNAP gym there.
    I always do my workday workout on my lunch break. I eat at my desk and work at the same time, so I don't have to worry about it.
    As far as the secondary workout of the day it depends. I can either do it in the morning before the kids are up and needing to go to school, and before I have to work, OR I can get it in later at night when my sons go to bed and my daughters don't have to worry about them running amok (Step daughter, and daughters are 11, 15 and 17 so they are fine on their own). Most of the time the fiance and I go together at night so she can get her workout in and I can get the secondary in.
    Flexibility in my life is a must when it comes to the runs, bike and gym.

And now for the First WOD:

Hit SNAP for some good ole fashioned deceptively easy crossfit. :bb:

Except not one workout for crossfit is easy. :nope:

Try this on for size:

10 Front Squats
    10 Kettlebell swings
    10 Ring dips (I modified and just did dips. Rings are not available at this time)

4 rounds for time.

Meaning: Do it as fast as you can.

I have not done front squats in a long time. My shoulders forgot what it was like to support the bar on the front.
    All in all it was an AWESOME workout. I got all the rounds in, but the gym was busy so I did it as fast as possible without passing out, but forgot to start the timer. :doh:

EDIT: I just realized why the thought that I was doing a 3 a day came up. I wrote like I already went to lunch today for the bike. That was yesterdays workout. Sorry guys!

#15 The_Tic, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  16. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Wow. Who needs oil, coal, or natural gas? We should just stick The_Tic on a giant hamster wheel and our energy problems would be solved.

Seriously, I'm impressed by how much you can do. Crossfit alone would be enough to exhaust most people.

17. The_Tic

LOL if you don't mind the energy to be given in bursts of 30 to 60 min.
    Also I just do what I can. If I feel that I shouldn't workout then I don't.

Speaking of:

I got in a late night interval run on the treadmill at the gym. Man are those tough. I don't think I ate as I should have, plus the late hour, so it made it tougher. Just more mental strength for the long haul runs later.
    Varied intensity with an average of 45 sec. On and 90 sec off. For 25 min.

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:eek:

Yow. That is tough. Nicely done.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you sore today?

20. The_Tic

My son got an upset stomach while I was writing so I did not get the chance to add that it was more of 20 min of intervals, some of the off was actually walking, and the last 5 min was a steady state run.
    Although in my eye it was tough, may not be as tough as initially stated. :lol:

My quads are telling me a story of a guy who has not front squatted in a long time. :lol:
    I think try to sit or get out of a chair is about to get interesting.