1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Get Buffed by Ian King

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Barber, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Get Buffed is probably the BEST book in existence for people to learn how to design their own workouts. Short of becoming a personal trainer, this is one of the few resources that doesn't just shove a specific workout down your throat and say, "This is the best or only way" but instead teaches you HOW to determine sets, reps, exercises, etc.

II and III just take it to the next level. Highly worth it. I've invested thousands in Ian's materials because they are worth millions.

I'd start with that ... also "Designing Resistance Training Programs" by Kraemer and Fleck.

Jeremy

3. gidrac

gidrac Well-Known Member

I was pretty shocked by this statement...

"Generally speaking, any number of work sets exceeding a total of 12 for the workout (yes, that's right, 12 sets for the total workout, not per muscle group!) should only be contemplated by those with optimal lifestyles and recovery conditions. If you have a day job and/or consider your recovery to be average, this rules you out. So, when you put together your program, choosing eight or more exercises for the workout and combining them with the old "3x" standard, you automatically have a number of sets equaling 24 or more for the workout."

I'm wondering if I should reduce my sets. Does anyone else use this style? Would it be best to do this with a 5 day split?

4. JeremyLikness

I'd say 7 out of 10 of my clients were overtraining before they hired me. The magazines publish routines based on people who have "optimal recovery" and have been training for a while.

In fact, if there's one complaint I get when I first prescribe a new training program, it's usually, "This looks too easy" (followed by a close second, "Why so much stretching?"). Of course, after a few weeks of trying it, I get ... "WOW ... this is awesome, I get it done sooner, and I'm seeing amazing results."

Bottom line: more is not always better and a lot of people overtrain.

This doesn't mean everyone automatically can't do more than 12, but many are overdoing it. This is why, I believe, HIT and HST are such popular methods, because they reduce the volume of the training so people can actually recover.

Jeremy

5. gidrac

gidrac Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeremy. What do you consider a while?

6. freddyaudiophile

freddyaudiophile Well-Known Member

Very interesting point. A co-worker of mine let me borrow "Another Blonde Myth" by Lee Priest so I watched it this past weekend. At one point, Lee trained arms (biceps, triceps and forearms) in one massive session of supersets. I think (if memory serves me right) he did 26 or 28 sets of various exercises to work all the muscles on his arms. Given the quote above, that would be overtraining. But I guess these guys don't have day jobs -- their lives basically revolve around eating properly, sleeping and hitting the gym.

Freddy

7. JeremyLikness

When you add steroids to the equation, it changes everything. You suddenly enter that "optimal recovery" bracket.

Jeremy

8. JeremyLikness

Several years consistently, doing it right (many people don't do it right ... what I mean is understanding periodization, advanced rep schemes, how to manipulate sets, reps, rest, tempo, etc).

Jeremy

9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

.....and taking various other types of "supplements" to enhance their recovery.

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I haven't used more than 12 working sets total in a workout for a while and that's with hitting 3-4 muscle groups at a time. I do hit most smaller muscles 2x per week though.

I've never read any of Ian King's material so I don't know if I'm in line with his principles but this has worked and is working for me. I've used an upper/lower split:

1. Lower -- Squats (2 x 6-8), Shoulder Isolation, Abs
    2. Upper: Chin-up (2 x 3-5), Military Press (2 x 3-5), Dip (2 x 3-5)
    4. Lower -- Deadlifts (2 x 6-8), Shoulder Isolation, Abs
    5. Upper: Chin-up (2 x 3-5), Military Press (2 x 3-5), Dip (2 x 3-5)

11. gidrac

gidrac Well-Known Member

chicanerous, I'm reading this as, 1.=Mon, 2.=Tues, etc. Is this correct? If so, you are only doing 6 sets each day?

12. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes, that's seven days, which means you always do the same workout on a particular day from week to week. If I had numbered more or less than 7, this wouldn't be the case. I start Day 1 on Sunday, but I could just the same have started on a Monday or Thursday or any other day of the week.

I wrote "no more than 12 working sets" because that was the initial recommendation to which I was responding (as well as your comment on it). In practice, yes, I work close to half that -- though warm-up sets bring the total number of sets (warm-up and working) to about 12.

Obviously, you should find out what volume, frequency, and rep ranges you respond to best. Keep in mind that the best range for you to work in may even change from exercise to exercise, that you should also try a variety of different things, and that you shouldn't stick to a routine for too long or too short of a time. I was just posting what I've been doing to help validate the notion that low volume may be better for some people than a larger amount.

#12 chicanerous, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  13. gidrac

gidrac Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Funny, I ran you through my current routine in a previous post. If you could, please give me your opinion on it and any modifications you would apply.

Thanks!

14. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've responded in the other post. ;) Back to Ian King and lower volume...

15. gidrac

gidrac Well-Known Member

Thanks and sorry about the hijack. :doh:

16. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

And drugs!!!:whistle:

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see Jeremy's and Mastover's replies. I'm glad other people realize this though.

17. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert but i find it interesting to make a blanket statement about sets only. This could be sets of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12 etc which would change the total volume drastically.

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

He does sort of specify, but it's hard to catch:

"Generally speaking, any number of work sets exceeding a total of 12 for the workout (yes, that's right, 12 sets for the total workout, not per muscle group!) should only be contemplated by those with optimal lifestyles and recovery conditions. If you have a day job and/or consider your recovery to be average, this rules you out. So, when you put together your program, choosing eight or more exercises for the workout and combining them with the old "3x" standard, you automatically have a number of sets equaling 24 or more for the workout."

The "3x" standard is a 3x10 so he probably doesn't want you to exceed 120 reps in the entire workout. That's, of course, not directly referring to his recommendation of 12 total sets, but I would think that is his basis. 120 reps is 4x(3x10) which would probably be two to four exercises.

#18 chicanerous, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  19. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

This has been true in my experience as well. I've had periods in my life where I've done 20+ sets per workout....with the standard 3 sets per exercise and a ton of different exercises per body part under the assumption that more = better. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. Now days, I never do more than 12 sets per workout and my gains are leaps and bounds above what they were during my "higher volume" days. I think Jeremy has hit the nail on the head with this post -- I wish I'd learned this lesson alot earlier than I did.

20. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Probably so, i base my workouts around total set/rep volume not just sets, makes no sense to separate the 2 in my opinion but you probably know where i got that principle. :tu:

3 to 6 excercises using fullbody/compound routines is quite adequate for people with average recovery methods, like me i believe. Its working for me.