1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Get Better Sleep Challenge for March.

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Justitia, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am getting between 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I need more but that is better than I've been doing. I've been stressed because of a terminal illness in someone very close to me. So I find it hard to get to sleep at night. I fall asleep around 1 and wake up somehwere beween 7:30 and 8:45 -- depending.

My new experiment with black-out cloth velcroed to the windows has arrived. It is just for 1 window. The guy is having problems getting the cloth from his supplier for some reason. So he made up one (I need 6) with a piece of the cloth he had that was stained -- just so we could do a test run to see if it worked OK.

If it does, it will be a G*d send.

2. euan

euan Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Justitia.

Hopefully the black-out cloths will be a success!

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Light proof curtains. Never go to sleep without them.

4. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

A coffin works for me.... hehe. j/k

Interesting thread, Justitia. My sleeping problems are slightly different. I don't have any issues with staying asleep, my problem is going to bed on time. Not that I can't fall asleep when I go to bed - it's pure procrastination. I usually watch movies or TV at night. Time passes by quickly and when I realize I should go to bed, it's already 1:30AM. Once I go to bed, I sleep without any problems but then I have to wake up at 6:30. :bang: Of course, I feel like crap in the morning and don't want to wake up - leading to all sorts of problems. I don't know how to solve this because if I go to bed early, I feel like I have so little time for myself after work. If I go to the gym after work, I have even less time. I need to suck it up and plan my free time better. I do a lot of internet useless browsing too. I will try to set some goals for myself :-)rolleyes:); 1 hour for internet, 2 hours for a movie and 1 hour for a tv show. Oh God, I'm so lame. :no:

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That is an excellent suggestion, rtestes.... a lot of people suffer from bad sleep due to some form of sleep apnea -- those strips can address one possible source of the problem.

Actually, you are not alone (I do exactly what you do too.) Studies are startig to come out showing that people in the US are working harder and longer hours and that they take the down time they need at the expense of sleep.

Reading one of those reports made me realize that a lot of my "procastination" was neeeded down time -- as for the last year and a half I was putting in 14-16 hour days on a regular basis and rarely taking of even one day a week for myself.

So I've been cutting back drastically on my work -- but also a lot of the pressure to do so has lifted.

Now I need to deal withthe procrastination in the morning...:lol: Perils of being an academic...;)

#65 Justitia, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Well, this is a blessing in disquise!

RTE pointed me in this direction, and mucho happyo that he did. I'm hoping to find some answers.

I don't sleep worth a damn. Here's my routine:

Supper usually by 6.
    Workout, computer follies, TV, etc. until 9 or so.
    Walk the dog. Depending on how cooperative she is it's usually 15 minutes or so.
    Get ready for bed, and lay there watching the tube...usually something I like; movie, UFC...
    Fall asleep until wife wakes me up to turn off TV.
    Get up, bathroom, check doors to see if tomcat wants in.
    Get drink of water.
    Go back to bed.
    Wake an hour or so later, go to the bathroom, grab my pillows and hit the couch.
    Toss and turn, and will probably get up one more time.
    "Honey wake up...it's 5."

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

7. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

And another question...

Has anyone tried the melatonin capsules instead of the spray? Does it matter what strength; 1,3 or 5 mg? Regular or time release?:confused:

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

My opinion:

Never watch TV in bed. lock up early, don't plan on getting up. Melatonin regular or benadryl is good. When you are ready to sleep. Don't drink anything after 9:00. I like hot baths rather than shower.Think relaxation, never forecast a night. That is challenge

bed is for sleeping or making love.

9. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Update...

Well, let's see...

I took the Melatonin (5 mg) about an hour before bedtime. I felt noticably more drowsey than usual at that time of the evening. I attempted to watch a bit of TV as usual, but was too sleepy...so just pulled the covers up and went at it.:sleep:

I slept about 2 hours. :blank: Made a potty run, then retired to the couch (I do that so as not to disturb the queen). Tossed and turned a bit, and returned to bed about 3:30. Woke up with the alarm at 5. :eek: I'm feeling a little stiff and sore in my shoulders and across my back. :rolleyes:When I slept, it was a deeper sleep, but the quantity was about the same. I'm thinking the Melatonin has to work through your system for a day or so.:confused:

10. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Not long ago, I was bringing work home that I didn't finish at work - not anymore. :nope: I didn't realize then but it caused me to go to bed very late.

--//--

My 2ยข on getting and staying asleep.

- My mom used to reserve a not so good book to be read at bed time.
    - Don't sleep in the couch - it's uncomfortable.
    - Don't eat or drink before going to bed - it makes you uncomfortable.
    - Get tired - no naps during the day.
    - If you have to watch TV at bed time, put it on a timer.
    - If you wake up in the middle of the night, don't get up.

In reality, the only time I don't sleep well and don't do anything about it is when I am worried about something or someone. I just have to go through it. It never lasted too long that I had to take any sleep aid.

11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Queen or no, you need a bed :nod: to sleep on not a couch. :nono:

My partner and I currently have a long distance relationship but when he is here or we travel, we cannot sleep on the same mattress. This is a recent development because he developed what might be called "restless leg syndrome." It isn't but that is for another thread. But his right leg starts kicking uncontrollably towards the end of the evening and when he sleeps his body kicks and jerks around a lot.

I am easily awakened by movement. So we no longer can sleep on the same mattress. :( Our best situation is having separate mattresses we push together which is what we do when we travel and are in hotel rooms.

When I was teaching in Israel and I could not get a suite with twin beds, they gave us two firm foam mattresses (I need a very hard mattress or my back gives way and wakes me up) and they could be shoved inside the king size bed frame. That was the very best because we could snuggle until we fell asleep and then rolled apart and his movement on his mattress had no impact on my mattress.

When he is visiting here, I do not have a set up for that (but will when he moves up permanently.) So I have some "egg crate" mattresses that he sleeps on on the floor.

Since i have been having problems sleeping and listen to a podcast to fall asleep with -- it keeps him up. So we now set him up in another room.:( If you get good a good quality egg crate you can roll it up and it costs about $50. Or get a regular good quality foam mattress.

Whatever, you have to first stop sleeping on the couch.

Find out what it is that disturbs "queen." And "queen" should be very concerned that you are not getting proper sleep and be supportive about finding a solution that works very well for both of you.

My partner also gets up frequently during the night and that never wakes me. But if the mattress moves a fair bit == that will wake me up -- though I have an extremely firm mattress -- so just getting up to go to the bathroom doesn't disturb me. But constantly movement through the night does.

He tries to avoid liquids for at least 4 hours before sleeping. He tries to get most of his hydration in during the early part of the day. See what you can do to reduce the incidence of going to the bathroom at night. You might have an enlarged prostate -- that is common in men as they get older (and it does not necessarily mean cancer.) I don't know if there is anything to be done about that but it could be contributing to having to get up through the night.

I like the melatonin spray so much better than a pill -- though I never tried a capsule. It works fast and if I wake up in the middle of the night another squirt or two puts me right to sleep.

You will seriously hamper all the good work you are doing with RTE if you don't get sleep. It is during sleep that your body repairs itself.

12. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Thanks Justitia...

It's not really my getting up that bothers her, but I thrash around a bit, tossing and flipping my pillows, etc which does. We've got two other bedrooms, but I don't want to start that. But in a sense I guess I already have with moving to the couch when I'm restless.:blank:

The Melatonin worked a little bit better last night, though I may hunt down the spray to keep it on ocassion when I awake.

In further evaluation, some of the nights I don't sleep...are when I've worked out late, just shortly prior to bedtime. So I'll work on that.:tu:

13. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Take another tablet when you go to bathroom and get back in bed to sleep. Remember you can write the script for what will happen because humans are creatures of habit, good and bad. You have some bad habits, TV and etc., Break them. What did Darden say on sleep? He has devoted whole chapters in some of his books. He like others see the need for a good night's sleep. Why do we say "good night" when someone goes to bed?

Say this 10 times, the bed is to sleep on. the sofa is to sit on. the TV belongs in living room or den. You want to close your eyes at sleep time and open them at sound of alarm, either clock or other.

14. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It happens as people get older that they will sleep in separate rooms... just make sure you have a lot of love-makin' and the room issue won't matter... :)

I agree with RTE about taking another tablet when you wake-up. The spray works more quickly. Instead of hunting the spray down -- why don't you order it from Mercola's site. I've been impressed with the quality of this product -- not only the melatonin -- but the precise micro doses. Much easier to titrate your dosage so you take just what you need.
    You may be able to find it cheaper but the gas and time you'll spend will off-set the couple of bucks savings and you may not get as good a product.

You need 2 hours to wind down after everything -- including your post work-out meal.

I know it's tough... I always ended up working out late. Since I've switched to the morning-- things are so much better.

15. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Last week was a bit of a disaster for me...
    I was taking care of my wife and our daughter during a frantic week.

I noticed that poor food definitely has a tangible effect on my sleep...:nod:

Example:
    A friend of the family brought over barbeque one night to help ease the load....
    Barbeque is notoriously high in sodium...and I am quite sensitive to excessive sodium...

That night, I woke up at 2 in the morning pouring sweat....
    I went and checked the thermostat because I was convinced it was malfunctioning....nope...:nope:...it was steady at 70...and then I remembered what I ate for dinner...:rolleyes:

16. euan

euan Active Member

I've been so-so the past week. Installed blackout blinds at the weekend and have noticed a big improvement, simply by keeping my room dark even after the sun is up.

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Got to sleep last night about 12:45 Am. Was woken by a really lound ambulance alarm in the street at about 8:30. Was not quite ready to wake up yet. Tried to get back to sleep with a podcast -- I kind of drifted in and out and got up at 10:00 Am... which puts me behind for the day. :(

I took my usual night meds last night --some of which have a sedatvie effect. I also used the melatonin spray -- but I wasn't feeling sleepy so, out of fear, I took a half tablet of Advil PM --- the PM part is basically Benedryl. It worked. I conked in 5 minutes.

But I need to get to sleep earlier. My next goal is to get to sleep by 11:30. :tu:

18. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

4/2/09 Update...

Quantity and quality of sleep is improving a little bit. Monday I started taking 2 Melatonin tabs before bed. I seem to go into a deeper sleep, although not any faster. I still wake up 1-2 times a night but I'm able to go back to sleep fairly quick.:sleep:

And the time span between sleep interruptions is growing. Where I used to wake up the first time between 11-12, is now 1-2. :tu: Sometimes I still am not able to get in my workout until later in the evening...which I'm sure is partly to blame. And as warm weather progresses...that will be harder and harder to change as I spend quite a bit of time outside in the yard when the weather cooperates.:tucool:

19. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Don't be so harsh on yourself. You've got almost 8 hours of sleep in one night. That should be plenty. I think sleeping more than 9 hours will get you bad effects too. If I do that, I get headaches and feel tired and lethargic.

That's my current goal too. :nod: I will have to wake up at 5:50, though. But I think I can live with that. :confused:

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I totally agree with this one....

In the very rare cases that this has happened with me...I feel completely lethargic and useless all day...

For me, too much sleep can almost be worse than too little sleep.....

Therefore, I try not to think that I can "catch up" on sleep by sleeping 10 hours the night after 5...

Speaking of which...5 is about what I got last night...:rolleyes: