1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Get Better Sleep Challenge for March.

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Justitia, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So here it is... 11:10 PM. Do I go to sleep or not. Do I go to sleep or not... :confused:

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:lol:

Sounds like you have a similar problem to me....

You really need to work on turning off (or slowing down) your brain at night....That sentence is protypical of my main issue....thinking....deciding....contemplating.....assessing outcomes....etc....etc....blah....blah...blah....before I know it, it's 2 in the morning....

My main tactic in fighting the overactive brain....TV (or soft music).
    Some background interference seems to help keep my brain from focusing on decisions and so forth....
    (I just set the sleep timer to turn it off after 90 minutes)

Naturally, it needs to be a program that I have no real interset in....

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I feel like you live inside my brain... ;) you so know exactly what I go through :lol:... including the show that has to engage me enough but not really interest me. I use an internet podcast of a radio talk show so it turns itself off within 20-55 minutes depending on the show.

But for some reason -- over the last couple of months -- I have found it hard to make myself turn it on until it is about 3:00 AM -- which is about to happen now....

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Last night, I got it together and fell asleep by 10:30....

But then woke up having to go to the restroom....:mad:

And like many mornings....my sleep from 4:30 to 7:00 was like this:

- wake up
    - glance at clock
    - reposition my body
    - sleep for 20 minutes

Repeat....

Yet again, 6 great hours followed by 2.5 of cobbled together garbage sleep...

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have a suggestion but I have no idea if it would work because since I got this Melatonin Spray when I finally stop fighting going to sleep and take it, I sleep straight through until I wake up.

If you got the spray -- you might find it will help you stay asleep through the night.

Levels of melatonin are strongly correlated with how much sleep one gets. Supposedly, turning on the light to go to the bathroom signals your body it is time to get up and it shuts of its melatonin production which may be why you find it difficult to go back to sleep.

So my real suggestion is to take it before you go to sleep and if you wake up, to take it again.

Since it is a spray, it gets absorbed immediately as opposed to pills which take ore time. I can definitely feel when it starts to work and it is within 5 minutes.

The directions say 3-6 sprays under your tongue - to find the quantity that seems to work for you. Right now, I take 3 squirts before I go to sleep. My intention is to take 2 or 3 more if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Waking up after 4 or so hours of sleep is quite common for me -- just not lately because I am only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night as it is and have to get up.

If you decide to do this,, I would be very interested in how it goes.

Good for you for getting to bed by 10:30! :tu: I will try really hard to do that too tonight.

Hopefully we both can....:nod:

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I'm always willing to try things....I'm gonna give that a go.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ok... so I didn't expect to have the opportunity to try my proposed experiment in my previous post so soon -- like the very same night.

I take some meds at night, a couple of which collaterally, can have a sedative effect when taken at night and I a sleepy etc -- though that is not their primary purpose --(and they can and are taken in the day by many without any impairment -- like drinking a warm cup of milk)

I also used 3 sprays of the Melatonin before I went to sleep.

I fell asleep shortly after midnight and woke up about half an hour a go -- a little less that 4 hours later -- which happens to me a lot recently. I have a lot on my mind so I wake up during the wakeful stage of sleep. I turned on the light in a room --and this computer. So in theory - my melatonin production should be shutting off prematurely .

I do not feel refreshed... mentally, I still feel fatigued -- it has been with this little sleep that I have been functioning for the last couple of weeks or so.

SO now I am going to take 3 more squirts of the Melatonin, turn on a radio Podcast and see what that does for me.

I have to get up early than I have lately, i.e., 7:30 AM which is a little earlier than my long term goal when I teach at night. (During the summer -- we shall see.)

So I will still be short on sleep -- only 7 hours assuming I get back to sleep right away.

I will report in the morning.

Edit: Well I probably did not get back to sleep for a total of an hour and a half (i.e., 5:30 Am) . But the alarm did wake me at 7:15 though I am not sure how deep the sleep was. I feel a little more refreshed than I haver in the last week.

#47 Justitia, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I definitely felt much better today. I didn't get more sleep but the wakeful part was still going back into sleep.

SO it is 11:00 PM. I am taking my night meds now (I am such an old lady... :rolleyes:). I am going to skip the melatonin tonight and see how it goes. If I don't fall asleep quickly enough or wake up again, I will use some of the spray.

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My guess is that I feel asleep sometime after midnight (I watched Private Practice on the internet.. :o).

I must have woken up some time in the early morning and put on my sleeping mask -- which I do when the light wakes me up.

I say "must have" because I woke up at 10:00 AM with it on - but I have no memory of doing it.

That means I must have gotten over 9 hours sleep. It will take a while to really catch up but I am definitely on the road.

My sleep deprivation headache is considerably less ... I don't know how much of that feeling was diminished because I didn't take the Melatonin last night.

But I feel great and energized -- looking forward to going to bed reasonably early again tonight -- without the Melatonin. :)

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I had a pretty productive day today. My energy is definitely coming back.

It is almost 11:30 on a Saturday night and I can't believe I'm going to bed but I am.

Again I am going to try without the melatonin tonight. If I sleep well then I think it's done its job and reset my sleep cycle.

But I have it here right by my bedside just in case. :tucool:

11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Couldn't fall asleep until 1:30. Took the Melatonin and fell to sleep but woke up at 7:30 due to the sun blaring into my windows right through the vertical blinds... :p I put on my sleep mask but could not get back to sleep -- so I just got up and started doing stuff.

12. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I was thinking of this thread last night as I lay in bed with my mind racing. This doesn't usually happen so I'm trying to piece together the different variables that would cause it.

Amazon sells black paper shades that you can cut to fit any window (this has really helped me).

Thanks for the thread. :tucool:

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Glad you like the thread.

Unfortunately I live on the top floor of a high rise and my bedroom faces directly into the sun during the summer with essentially floor to ceiling windows that are wall to wall without a break for 17 feet.

Can't put shades up they don't manufacture vertical blinds an more that block out sunlight and the apartment is rented and the layout won't accommodate drapes -- which would be prohibitively expensive anyway.

I am working with someone to use a photographer's trick of putting up Velcro on the metal frames that hold the widows and and velcroing blackout material to the window. That was y it can come down during the day and up easily at night.

But the guy is taking a really long time -- it has been a month. Fortunately we have had a gray March but now the sun is starting to shine.

14. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

It looks funny....but if the window is smallish...aluminum foil works pretty well.

I am renting a place in Phoenix due to working the work weeks down here and put it on the windows and it provides a total blackout for me.

On another note....I once again face my ultimate challenge...late activity.
    I have an ultimate frisbee league match tonight from 8-10.
    I am again going to try the lowering-body-temperature methodology again...it worked pretty well last time.

It goes like this (in theory anyway):
    - Get back to my room around 10:15
    - Take a shower
    - When taking the shower, gradually decrease the water temp as I go

If I fall asleep before 11:30, I will consider it a major success.

The theory being that the body naturally reduces in temperature when preparing for sleep and during sleep....

The problem with late activity for me is the combo of adrenaline and high body temp.

#54 digitalnebula, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

i can so totally relate... :nod:

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Was totally wired last night... Couldn't get to sleep by 1:30 when I squirted the melatonin. Wokeup at 8:30.

17. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This didn't go quite as planned....I hung around after the game a little socializing...

I got back to the place around 10:30 and popped a Benadryl (WalMart equivalent)....did a little work as I cooled off a little. I got in the shower around 10:45 and slowly brought down the temp...
    Out of the shower around 11.
    Made a small snack and hit the bed around 11:10...
    Got very drowsy around 11:45 and fell asleep somewhere in the next 15 minutes or so I'm guessing...

I am still calling last night a success...:nod:
    Alarm woke me up at 7:15.

18. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

A suggestion: Breath Easy strips to open nasal passages for better breathing through the night.

19. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

I must admit I haven't checked out this section of jsf much. What a great challenge. For years I had issues getting more than 5-6 hours, same reasons...racing brain. I've actually used benedryl as well, works great when you know you have to get sleep for something important the following day.

The only thing I found that worked really well was :madpimp: Bad...I know. But what can you do :whistle: That and 30 min of tv....fully ready for sleep.

20. euan

euan Active Member

The past few days haven't been as good for me as the start of the month. I've been waking up about 5am-ish and struggling to get back to sleep. Dozing off is quite hard because it's getting so light here in the mornings. I'm still getting about 8 hours a night though so I shouldn't really complain, although my body is telling me that it needs more sleep.