1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

George's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by George, Mar 24, 2019.

1. George

George Senior Member

The nice thing about exercising regularly is that this did not kill me.

4/22
    Chin: 9x5, 1x6
    OHP: 3x10x70, 3x10x65
    Curl@55: 12, 10, 10
    Added a rep on chins and curls. Added weight to OHP. Played fetch with my dog between sets.

Lots of stress and long hours at work between Friday and today. I am Zen :zen:

2. George

George Senior Member

4/23
    RDL: 3x10x175
    Calf: 3x10x195
    Squat: 3x10x135
    Added 5 pounds to RDLs. Tried doing more traditional sets with the calf raises and squats. I actually prefer the 10x5 with squats.

3. George

George Senior Member

4/25
    Chin: 8x5, 2x6
    CGBP: 3x10x115, 3x10x95
    French press@55: 12, 10, 10
    Curl@55: 12, 11, 10
    Added a rep on chins, curls, and French press. Thought it might be a good idea to start doing CGBP for one of my bench sessions for added variety and since my triceps blow. Started very light.
    Lots of rest between sets: Dug out the lawn mower and got it working. Sorted the recycling.

The worst of the work stress is over. Just got done with our annual State survey. For those that don't work in healthcare: it's the worst week of the year. I don't know if I'm just getting used to it but I feel fine.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How is a dietician different from a nutritionist?

Does it make it more difficult for you to eat since you know so much about food?

5. George

George Senior Member

Depends on what part of the world you live in. Here in the US anyone can call themselves a nutritionist with no formal training or certification (see most people selling diet plans on instagram).

To be a registered dietitian you have to go to school for 4 years, do a ~year long internship, and then pass an exam. Then you have to do continuing education to maintain your status.

Most healthcare settings require you to be an RD. We can actually call ourselves RDNs as well (registered dietitian nutritionists) just to make it more confusing.

To answer your second question: I've actually found it to be freeing. I was a lot more worried about things that don't really matter when I knew less about nutrition.

6. George

George Senior Member

I sound so salty here :lol:

4/26
    Chin: 7x5, 3x6
    Paused OHP: 3x10x75, 3x10x65
    Curl@55: 12, 12, 10
    Added a rep on chins and curls. Added weight and did them paused on ohp.

Year to date chinups: 2703. I'm going to have to step it up if I'm going to do 10k.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks for the info. It is not what I thought the difference was. I had thought a dietician plans meals for hospitals, institutions etc., whereas a nutritionist works on an individual level.

8. George

George Senior Member

It's a common misconception. I do diet education/counseling and clinical assessments for the most part. I also help plan the menu where I work.

4/27
    AM:
    Chins: 10x5

Did about 6 hours of yard work (raking, mowing, weedwacking, putting a floor in the green house, etc)

PM:
    Chins: 10x5
    Squat: 8x5x115
    Felt wrecked and probably should have skipped this. Kept it very easy. Trying to catch up on chinups.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Like Shamie, I want to thank you for the explanation you provided as I was also unclear about the differences.

10. George

George Senior Member

No problem. Congrats on your daughter becoming an SLP by the way.

4/28
    Chin: 6x5, 4x6
    Bench@135: 10, 8, 8, 3x10x115
    French press@55: 12, 11, 10
    Curl@55: 12, 12, 11
    Added weight on bench, added a rep on everything else. Bench feels very week. My 1rm back when I was lifting heavier was 205. Weird for 135 to feel so heavy. Going to work on getting those numbers up.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks about my daughter.

12. George

George Senior Member

Currently out of town for a few days. Did a little swimming yesterday.

5/1
    Played around in the hotel gym. Weird selection of equipment.

Incline dumbbell bench
    Flat dumbbell fly
    Machine laterals
    Dumbbell skull crushers
    Dumbbell curls
    Super light, fairly easy stuff. I haven't touched a dumbbell in probably 8 years so it was fun having access to different equipment.

13. George

George Senior Member

5/2 update: My chest is already starting to get sore. The incline dumbbell bench gave me a great stretch at the bottom and would be a good addition to my current program. Unfortunately, my garage gym has neither dumbbells nor an inclining bench. My shins are also sore from walking around in boots for 3-4 hours yesterday. :lol:

14. George

George Senior Member

5/3
    Chinup: 10x5
    Ohp: 3x10x80, 3x10x65
    Curl: 3x12x55

15. George

George Senior Member

5/4
    Chin 10x5
    RDL 3x8x175
    Lunge 3x10x65

16. George

George Senior Member

Life circumstances have kept me out of the gym for about a week. Not a big deal. Just pick up where you left off (maybe take it easy for a week or two in order to reduce injury risk). It felt good.

5/10
    Chin-up 5x8xbw
    Bench 5x8x115
    Curl 5x12x55
    French press 5x12x55

Got 5 work sets done for chest, back, biceps and triceps this session. I would like to start keeping track of weekly volume for body parts in order to see what works best for me. A few years ago I started to think of volume in terms of "hard sets" instead of sets x reps thanks to some writings by Mike Israetel and Greg Nuckols (I think it was actually a guest article on Greg's site).

Of course, optimal volume is a moving target and depends on a lot of factors (outside stressors, diet, workout structure, etc.). For example; I only ate one (large) meal today. I typically feel better eating more frequently than this. I have also had a high stress week with little sleep and poor nutrition. These all impact recovery and volume tolerance. Finally, even little things like how much fatigue did my arms receive from the compound movements earlier in the session are impossible to truly quantify. For better or worse, life is going to be dynamic.

Also decided to abandon (or at least postpone) the chin-up goal. Lats are already my strongest body part and the volume was eating up a lot of my gym time. I am trying to be less hard headed about these things. Arms and shoulders need the most work on my upper body. Calves, quads, and glutes all suck on my lower. Basically, I have decent lats, ok hams and pecs, and the rest needs a lot of work.

Introspection from a week off from lifting weights :lol:

#56 George, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  17. George

George Senior Member

5/12
    RDL 4x10x135
    Curl 5x8x65
    Lateral raise 5x15x10
    Forgot that lateral caused me forearm pain. I had originally started with upright rows but these felt bad on my shoulders :lol: so the alternate needs an alternate.

Mike Israetel claims that overhead pressing is a primarily front delt exercise and that the front delts already get hammered by horizontal pressing if you do a fair amount of that. Maybe I will do some sort of ohp variant that hits the medial delt more?

18. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've spend the last 4 months overhead pressing and bench pressing on alternate sessions and it seems to me that my front delts get by far the most work.

19. George

George Senior Member

In the past I have prioritized overhead pressing. The result was zero noticeable improvement in shoulder development despite a significant improvement in the amount I can press overhead. Oh well. Benching actually hits my chest pretty well. I get a pump pretty easily, am typically sore afterwards, and notice a difference in my chest development when I make it a priority.

5/13
    CGBP 5x8x115
    Row 5x8x115
    Curl 3x20x45
    First time rowing in several months. One of the benefits of not doing so many chinups, I guess. I think that's 13 sets of curls for the week so far. Trying to vary the rep ranges and weights since I don't have the equipment to do variations. I think I will do curls one more time this week. Should probably hit quads and calves tomorrow.

20. George

George Senior Member

5/14
    Squat 10x5x115
    Calf raise 3x10x185, 2x15x155
    I am grateful to be doing full squats without any knee pain, even if it's just 115 pounds. :)