1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gentlemen

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Bludder, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Bludder

Bludder Active Member

My starting weight was around 300lbs

I've worked my ass off and gotten down to 235lbs. I think I look decent now. I want more though. I always have. I want to be stronger. My question to you is as such:

When do I stop concentrating on cutting and start to bulk up? I'm doing the best I can to cut whilst maintaining lean mass. I've done pretty well. I still have loose skin that I need to tighten up by building bigger muscles.

Even if they loose skin doesn't go away I just wanna be stronger. I still have some more fat to lose before I begin my first bulk, so I'm wondering what advice you have for me.

Thank you!

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    There are two parts to that question. Part one is when do you start concentrating on cutting. I'd say to gradually start increasing your calories to maintenance levels by adding more protein to your nutrition plan. Try not to have a deficit (as you would when you are cutting).

Part two is about when to start bulking up. You mentioned that you are looking for more strength than size, so if that's the goal, focus more on the weights and less on the cardio, and I would say to do at least one workout a week that is nothing but bodyweight exercises.

Hope this gives you some ideas... go for it!

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The ideal time to cut is when you want to lose fat. The ideal time to bulk is when you want to gain muscle.

How much strength training have you been doing in your 65 lb cut (great job, btw) so far? :confused:

Sounds like you're sick of cutting, but don't want to bulk. Bulking (i.e. putting on mass - some muscle, but some fat too) will make you stronger, but if you haven't been weight training, then you've got a big chunk of strength gains waiting for you just by getting used to the lifts and training your central nervous system. You can get those while you're still cutting.

I'd say eat 250-500 calories below maintenance levels and go to a solid strength-building routine like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or ICF, but work 3x5 instead of 5x5 since you'll be in a caloric deficit (ICF gives specific details on this, I don't know if Stronglifts or SS do.)