1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

[Generic Journal Name, Go!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by themethod88, Oct 29, 2009.

1. themethod88

themethod88 Active Member

The slow descent continues. Diet has remained good (though not perfect) and down another 3 lbs, hope to be below 250 by this time next week. Work has been incredibly stressful (regular 12+ hour days for last 2 weeks) so gym has taken a back seat... really want to fix that but motivation is seriously lacking by the time I get home at 7-8pm. Things seem to be slowing down, so I've promised myself I would hit the gym next week 3x minimum. Things haven't been super smooth since I started my latest attempt at getting in shape, but, I'm still here, and trending in the right direction, albeit slowly... one day at a time I guess.

2. themethod88

Welp, back from the dead, almost 4 years later.

In that time I...

Yo-yo'd anywhere from 250-270 for most of 2013 - 2016
    Got a new job
    Moved to Lexington KY full time
    Married my dream girl
    Joined an ice hockey league
    Put back on all the weight I lost, and then some

My last post here was late 2013 where I weighed 258. My last doctor's appt (until March of this year) was in 2014, where I weighed in at 262. In 2015 I did a weight loss program with some coworkers where I went from about 270 to 255, and that was probably the last time I stepped on a scale. For 3 years I floated around 255-265 but never bothered to actually check, and never consistently worked out or dieted - I would occasionally decide I wanted to slim down, and that might last anywhere from a week to a month, but nothing stuck. I knew that I had been gradually putting on weight throughout 2016 - pants and belts got tighter, I went up a size or two in shirts, but I did not know just how much I had gained until my last doctor's appt. On March 16, one day before my 33rd birthday, the results were in: 288.

And that was my wake up call. It shouldn't have been a surprise, I mean, I have a mirror, I have seen pictures of myself, but it just didn't register until I saw that scale and the nurse entered 2-8-8 into her computer. So that was the day I made my decision: I'm done being fat. That's it, I just don't feel like being fat anymore. It's not deep, or profound, or some wise revelation... I'm just done being fat. I know I've been on this exact forum typing this exact sentiment before, more than once, but somehow it's different this time (I've said that, too). I don't know why this time is different, I can't explain it, I'm just done being fat. I don't like wearing XL and XXL shirts and size 38 jeans (though it has to be said - god bless American Eagle and their flex fit jeans). I don't like being out of breath walking up a single flight of stairs or playing a single shift of hockey. I don't like that I've skipped playing soccer the last two years because I don't have the speed or the stamina to keep up, even in rec league (at least in hockey you can glide...). More than all of that, I don't like feeling like a gross fat fuck around my wife - despite her being the most supportive person I could ever ask for, I know she doesn't like it either, even if she would never say it. It's not like I was skinny when we started dating, I was somewhere around 220 at the time, but I've put on over 60 lbs since then. I look at pictures from our first few months dating and now and it looks like I put on a fat suit. She deserves better than that. So I'm just done being fat.

That said, I told myself I wouldn't post again until I did something worth posting about, for fear of embarrassing myself again, since this is not the first time I've been all "yeah man I'm *totally* gonna lose all this weight". Well today is that day, I guess. One week after that doctor's appointment, I flew to Texas for a month long work project. While feeling sorry for myself and bemoaning the fact that I was a fat piece of shit who needed to lose weight, I was reminded by a coworker there of the weight loss competition we had done 2 years earlier, and he suggested we try it again. So on March 29, three coworkers and I joined a program called Healthy Wage. I weighed in at 288 and put up $60 that said I would lose 6% of my weight (17 lbs) by June 12. I wasn't sure what to expect or what would happen, all I knew was that I would hit that goal. On the advice of my brother and that coworker, both of whom have seen some great results over the past few years, I started a keto diet. Being away from home made that easy - I went to the grocery store and only bought keto friendly snacks for my hotel room, stuff like almonds, cheese, eggs, and bacon, and when we ate out I stuck to chicken, steak, fish, green veggies, and salads. It also meant I didn't have to focus on losing weight through exercise (which I had tried to do in the past), because the long work hours made working out in the hotel gym almost impossible.

So far the results speak for themselves - it's been just over 3 weeks since I weighed in at 288, and this morning I weighed in at 267. I've lost 21 lbs (7.29%) already, and despite surpassing my goal in less than a month, I have no plans of stopping. Seeing my wife's face when I got home yesterday and walked through the door 20 lbs lighter was priceless. I told her I was losing weight for work but I hadn't told her how much, so surprising her with that was awesome. A few coworkers have commented on it today as well. My energy levels are up, focus at work is better, I just feel great overall. I feel like I am finally on the right track to who I want to be. For me, the best part of this is that 100% of the weight I have dropped over the past 3+ weeks has been purely from clean eating. I finally "see the light" that you can't outrun or outwork your diet, and so that will be my focus going forward - if I'm to lose this weight, it know that it starts and ends with the fuel I give my body.

Having been down this road before, here are a few more things that I know:
    - I know that this time more than any of my previous attempts to slim down, my diet will be the engine that's going to drive my weight loss.
    - I know that the rate of weight loss I've seen so far is absolutely unsustainable long term and mostly due to the change in water weight from lack of carbs/cleaner eating. I'm ok with that. Whether I lose 6 lbs a week or 1 lb a week, as long as the needle moves down then I'm doing ok.
    - I know that I can get away with not counting every last calorie right now since really any clean diet is better than what I was doing before. However, if I want to get down to my goal weight, eventually that will have to enter the equation, and I'm prepared to do so.
    - I know that I can't get depressed or beat myself up if I miss a work out or have a cheat meal. I've gotten much better about the latter, but I'm not perfect, and I know it will happen eventually. I will accept it and move on.
    - I know that no matter what comes up, or how long it takes, I want to keep moving forward one day at a time.

So that's it. I'm down 21 lbs so far, and my end goal as of today is to lose 80-90 more, eventually settling down around 180-190. It's been so long since I've been even close to that that I'm not sure where I'll want to eventually stop without seeing myself at that weight, but it's a good starting point. I also haven't set a time frame this time, because I think that led to disappointment in the past if I wasn't losing weight as fast as I wanted and it eventually derailed my progress. Would I love to be somewhere around 180-190 this time next year? Absolutely. If I'm not that low, but I'm lower than I am today and I'm moving in that direction, I'm ok with that. I didn't get fat overnight, so why should I expect to get lean overnight?

Eventually I might post workout logs or food diaries again, but really I think I just needed to put this out there for myself more than anything, so when I look back in a few years I'll have some record of when I turned things around. I did join a new gym over the weekend and tonight I start working on getting my lungs and legs back to a level that will allow me to play hockey and soccer the way I used to. At some point I will add weight training back into this mix, though I'm still researching how I want to do that on a keto diet. For now my number one priority is to keep eating clean like I have been for the past month. I'll do my best to check in at least once a week, if for no other reason than to have a record I can track and to keep myself accountable. And if anyone has thoughts on things like weight training on keto, keto recipes (especially good fat bombs), or the like, I'm all ears. And if you actually managed to read all this - wtf is wrong with you??! Get a life man :)

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I skimmed through your post. You get the record of the longest post ever on this site. :) Good luck.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome back.

It is good you now understand that diet trumps all for weight loss. Exercise is good for other things but the number on the scale is controlled by diet. A Keto diet is good short term but most people have trouble sustaining it. Once you reach that point instead of throwing in the towel, look for a more sustainable diet that works for you.

Best wishes. The reality is this is all mental. Set your mind to it and it becomes easy.

#104 macdiver, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. themethod88

Me, verbose? Never...

Down another 5 lbs, 262 as of this morning. Just added IF and doing either 16/8 or 20/4 depending on how I'm feeling each day. Also added some morning fasted cardio but not consistently (yet), still getting my legs back under me. As far as NSVs go, I've moved over (another) belt hole - only one more before I have to get a new one - and I'm able to wear some of my nicer work shirts than I haven't touched in about 2 years, so that's neat.

6. themethod88

252 this morning, which is slightly disappointing since I was 250 a week ago tomorrow - my cheat weekend set me back. I guess that's what happens when you celebrate your wife's first pregnancy :) Can't wait to see what that chapter of my life brings, but I'm thinking I picked a very good time to get healthy again so I can be an active dad.

Still, all things considered, it's hard to complain about only being up two lbs given the very satisfying weekend of food I just had. And I'm back on it this week, getting keto adapted again and on a 16/8 IF. I can already feel my body shifting into keto, which is weird but neat feeling. My next goal is 243 by June 7th, which is when I weigh in for my weight loss competition at work and that would put me at 45 lbs exactly; 238 for an even 50 lbs would be awesome but very aggressive (over 5 lbs/week for 2 weeks), but we'll see what happens.

7. themethod88

On the fucking nose, 243 this morning, though it did take a 24-fast earlier in the week to get here. Keto + IF has been awesome so far, no plans on stopping that although it's probably time to track calories a little closer - lazy keto is awesome and the results speak for themselves, but as I get closer to my goal weight I know I won't be able to get away with it.

Minor NSV - not only have I had to get rid of my last belt (44"), but I'm now on the last hole of the one I used before that (40", the one I "outgrew" about a year and a half ago). Guess it's time for a new one :)