1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

[Generic Journal Name, Go!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by themethod88, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Well you don't gotta participate. It took me awhile but after people at work have watched me walk every day at lunch, grab my gym bag on the way out of here, people finally get the hint that I'm serious about dieting and weight loss. I don't snack on crap when it's in the office anymore

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

The number on the scale will be dependent upon consistency.....and whether you want to do this as a "cut" or a "recomp".

Either way, you can drop a ton of bodyfat.....but doing it the recomp way, hopefully, you are actually 10 pounds heavier than you would be on an all out cut.....

My goals are more defined in general terms.....I want to lose 1 pound of bodyfat per week while gaining/maintaining lean mass.

I am the living example of the difference between a cut and a recomp.

In 2012, I lost over 50 pounds cutting.....but I wasn't working out hardly at all.....I got all the way down to 190.....but I was skinny fat.

This year, I have been eating at my macros while killing it in the gym.
    I am now leaner than I was last year, but I weigh 208 lbs....and holy shit, what a difference in the mirror.

You need to start thinking in terms of body composition....rather than a scale number.

Maybe a target for March is something like 15% bodyfat.....and who gives a shit what the scale says. Hopefully, a typical week is losing a pound of bodyfat and adding a quarter pound of lean mass.

Call it 30 weeks.....that would be 30 pounds of fat lost and about 7.5 pounds of lean mass gain....and a net scale change of 22.5 pounds.

You will almost certainly exceed this due to "newbie gains" though. At first, you will dump a crapload of water and waste in the first month...

3. themethod88

themethod88 Active Member

Right on. So I guess my next step should be getting a more accurate idea what my current BF% is, and a good way to measure/track it. I'm not averse to purchasing something decent to do so if it's accurate/efficient, though I'd prefer not to go too crazy - thoughts?

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

If you don't have someone to help you, you can use a 3-site BF measurement.
    If you have someone you can count on to help you every saturday morning, then do a 7-site BF measurement.

BF calipers are cheap on amazon....

The alternative is to use a tape measure method....which at first will be fine....the most important thing is that you waist decreases a little each week. Measure around the largest part of your abdomen.....for most men, its around the love handles and over the belly button.

If you decide to go with the BF measurement, two things:
    - It still isn't perfect....its done by human hands, is dependent upon consistent pinches, and is prone to variation just like any other measurement you do
    - I use this site to plug my numbers into: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html (It also has a short video for each pinch site as well)

5. themethod88

Awesome, thanks again sir, you've been a huge help so far. :tucool:

6. themethod88

Signing up at LA Fitness today after work, then hoping to fit a workout in tonight or tomorrow. BF% probably too high for calipers at the moment so got a soft tape, plan on taking measurements Sunday morning and updating each week. Tracking all food on MFP, getting much better at hitting my macros, though my carbs are a bit higher and protein lower than it should be - just ordered some Nitrean, had success with that in the past (and to date still the best tasting shake I've come across). Also need to focus on getting my cals from whole, unprocessed foods, as my sodium is quite a bit higher than I'd like it to be, and looking over my log the majority has come from quick/frozen meals.

So, goals for next week:
    1. Update journal everyday. Need to turn these changes into permanent habits, and first step is turning it into a routine that I don't even think about.
    2. Nail 2500kcal everyday. Get majority from whole/natural/unprocessed foods.
    3. Lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday, no excuses. By Friday (if not sooner) have solid starting point for each of my lifts.
    4. 5 miles minimum cardio.
    5. End the civil war in Syria.

Some progress... shaved off almost 2 minutes/mile:
    9/3/13:
    [​IMG]

9/5/13:
    [​IMG]

Obviously not gonna happen every week, but nice to be moving in the right direction.

7. themethod88

Sunday morning weigh-in: 257.2 - floated between 258 and 260 all week, nice to see some change, however small.

Can't wait to hit the new gym this week, got an awesome membership deal so signed up yesterday, even comes with a free 60m session with a personal trainer... LET'S DO THIS.

8. themethod88

hit my macros and just got back from a killer workout at the gym... now to grab a shake and shower.

e: LIFTS

Lat Pulldown: 100 x 8; 180 x 8, 8
    Seated Row: 140 x 8, 8
    Chest Press: 140 x 8; 120 x 7
    Incline Press: 140 x 6
    Shoulder Press: 70 x 8, 8, 5
    Bicep Curl: 40 x 8, 8, 4; 30 x 2
    Tricep Pulldown: 40 x 8, 8, 8
    Weighted Ab Crunch: 50 x 20, 20

#88 themethod88, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. themethod88

Another day of hitting my macros, feels good falling into a rhythm. Also got in another 35 min/2+ mile cardio session last night, slowly but surely building back up. Really look forward to playing soccer again without having to stop and suck air every 2 minutes.

On the road today for work and already managed to turn down a Krispy Kreme donut when we stopped for gas... What's happening to me??! o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

10. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Good job! Put a couple weeks together and you will be flying....

Atta boy! :tu:

11. themethod88

Kinda pissed I didn't make it to the gym last night, but after waking up at 4:30a, 9 hours of driving, and ~4 hours of walking around outside at a work convention, I was dead by the time I made it home. Just means I need to give 110% and be on point with my workout and diet today.

Proud of myself for eating well while on the road, since this was something I struggled with in the past. No soda, no gas station junk or fast food. Packed a small bag of decent snacks (grapes, almonds, and a kashi bar) if I needed them, along with some water. During the show I opted for a small pulled pork sandwich since the alternatives were either fried or covered in cheese or sauce (or both). I did allow myself one cheat snack - a snickers ice cream bar, since it was hotter than shit outside and it was free... no one's perfect I guess, and since my diet was solid elsewhere all things considered, I said what the hell. As a result, today will be 100% clean eating.

And for this week's NSV...
    [​IMG]
    time for a new belt soon, since I just hit the last hole :cool:

12. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

String a few more weeks together....and it will be time for a new belt....:nod:

Kepp it going! :tu:

13. Whoracle

Good to see the belt moving in the right direction, always a good feeling :tucool:

14. themethod88

still tweaking my workout, but felt like another solid night at the gym:

flat press: 140 x 10
    incline press: 110 x 8
    cable flys: 50 x 10; 40 x 10
    lat pulldown: 180 x 10
    seated row: 110 x 10, 12
    rear delt raise: 15 x 10
    lateral raise: 15 x 10
    overhead press: 90 x 12
    DB curl: 25 x 6; 20 x 8; 15 x 8
    tricep pushdown: 50 x 10; 60 x 9

didn't go too crazy, have my free session with a personal trainer at the new gym tomorrow. next week will start adding in leg work... :x

15. themethod88

fuckin amped for my workout tonight with the personal trainer, sounds like he's got some cool shit planned - tire flips, sleds, battle ropes (wtf), and other non-traditional (lifting) exercises. all goes well might have to sign up with him for a few sessions a week.

16. themethod88

I knew I was out of shape but holy fucking shit balls. Hardest workout I've had in the last 10 years and it lasted less than 30 minutes. Not even sure I made it the whole way through, I think he called it a day when he saw me looking like I might pass out - which I probably would have had we kept going. Sled runs, core work, squat jumps, some kind of squat thrust/star jumps but with a BB.

Thought I might die but damn it feels good right now. Think I might sign up for once a weeks. Gonna be an early night...

17. Whoracle

Nice, wish I could do some sled runs on my cardio days

18. themethod88

Frustrated. Thought I had my macros/diet dialed in, but after losing 5lbs week 1, I'm up almost 3 this week, putting me back right around 258. I know I shouldn't obsess over the numbers, but still not a good feeling when I thought this was going to be the time when lbs just started falling off. Think I'll give it another week or 2 to let things work themselves out, and if I need to tweak then I will. When I had my fit test at the gym the other day, they did a BF% reading, so at least I know exactly where I am with that: 28%... ugh.

Today is my off day to rest and watch football, then back to the weight room tomorrow...

19. themethod88

Progress... ran a mile straight without stopping in under 10 min for the first time in... a long time. Granted I'm not sure exactly the last time I actually tried, but it's long enough that I'm not sure exactly the last time I tried. Baby steps.

20. themethod88

Still here, still chugging along. Lack of updates are a direct result of crazy work days followed by nights filled with GTA V.

Diet was fairly solid, all things considered. In the past, stress at work + a new video game meant lots of greasy fast food (I had none!), ordering out for pizza (only once!), pop (a few cream sodas (less than 1 a day) throughout the week, but I'll die before giving those up), and tons unhealthy snacks in the form of chips, cookies, and ice cream. This week I was having none of it, opting instead for fruit, yogurt, and my new favorite snack, cinnamon brown sugar oven roasted almonds. It may not have been a perfect week, but it was WAY better than what I've done in the past.

Not gonna lie though, for as good as I was keeping my diet in check, I didn't hit the gym as much as I should have this past week. Combination of a minor wrist injury and a busy busy week at work gave me all the excuses I needed to be a lazy POS, but I at least made it 3 days, on top of my soccer game Thursday. With my main work project off my desk (for now), I plan on hitting the weights hard to make up for last week.

Ready for another solid week, I GOT THIS.