1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

[Generic Journal Name, Go!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by themethod88, Oct 29, 2009.

1. themethod88

themethod88 Active Member

Current picture:
    [​IMG]

Progression:
    [​IMG]

2. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Excellent progress, man! :tucool::claphigh:

3. themethod88

AM Weigh-in: 226

Bit of a stall during March due to work owning my life, but I feel really good right now. The weather is getting better and I'm full of energy lately, feeling like I'm setting myself up for a really active and productive spring and summer.

On that note, I finally got P90x and all the equipment - tonight is the fit test and tomorrow is the first workout! Can't wait!!

4. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear what you think! My wife just got it and will be starting tonight or tomorrow.

5. themethod88

Rather than start a new thread, I'm reviving my old one as a reminder to myself of what it feels like to wake up 3 years later and realize you nothing to show for it.

My first post in October 2009 I was 250, and between that time and my last post in April 2010, I lost 30 lbs, down to 220. Since then I went back to ~250, down again in spring/summer 2011 to 200-210 (and felt awesome), and now gradually back to 240-250. Not really sure why I haven't been able to stick to it but it's really starting to get to me.

In a serious relationship now, and I think that's part of why I slowly just let myself go, and I know my gf has noticed this too. Not a good feeling, at all. I'd be lying if I said that getting in shape was all about me - part of it is, for sure, but part of it is wanting to look and feel sexy for the woman I love.

So here we are. Signed up for a 5k over the weekend. Race is 3 months from today, May 4. I plan on kicking that races ass, and using that momentum to get myself as fit and healthy as I've been in 10 years. Pics/stats to come in next update. Not. Stopping. This. Time. :mad:

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

You'll have no problem at all with that. Do you have a time goal?

I know how you feel with the ups and downs (and fitness for more than just yourself). Just have to keep plugging away.

I also have an idea of your race goal. I signed up for a half marathon on Dec 31 and just ran 16.1km yesterday when I started from a slow walk/run 4km. You'll be just fine.

7. themethod88

Haven't thought about a time goal yet - just getting out and doing it was my first step but I should probably have a legit time goal. How do I figure that out? I mean I'm sure it's different for everyone, is there a good way to figure out a goal time based on where I'm at now?

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I say just go out and do it. Don't worry too much about your time. You'll figure out how fast you run and you'll want to do it faster. Most people have a hard time doing it under 30 minutes, but you're probably more fit than that based on your previous successes.

Get a feel for how fast you can go one kilometer and then get up to 5km at that pace and shoot for faster!

I'm no pro runner...it's just what I would do.

9. themethod88

Welp, let's try this again. Fell off the wagon (again (again)) and trying to pull myself back on. Talk is cheap so not gonna BS, gonna stick to goals/progress/results for now.

STATS
    Current Weight: 260 (officially a FAT FUCK!)
    Height: 6'0"

GOALS
    Goal 1: 220 by 12/1/13
    Goal 2: 200 by 3/17/14 (my 30th)
    Goal 3: 185 by 6/1/14

On paper, these feel attainable to me, but any comments/concerns are welcome. 40 lbs in 3 months seems like a lot to start, but with my current weight and anticipated diet/workout, I don't think it's unreasonable to think it will melt off if I stick to my guns. Really, the most important goal to me is to be UNDER 200 BY MY 30th B-DAY (March 17).

NUTRITION:
    Think I'm going to give IF (intermittent fasting) another go, I tried this before and really enjoyed it, and works well with my schedule/appetite.

TDEE (measured here): 3000

Using Leangains "Faster Weight Loss" split (-30/-10), my goal is ~2800 on workout days (M/W/F) and ~2200 on non-workout days.

Using Martin Berkhan's Leangains "Two Pre-Workout Meals" Protocol:
    12 PM: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

Cutting out all fast food and soda, and alcohol consumption kept to a minimum - a beer with dinner 1-2x a week, or a glass of bourbon after work. Focus will be on whole and unprocessed foods, with some protein/meal-replacement shakes for convenience. Also, as an experienced yo-yo dieter, if there's one thing I've learned it's that I cannot eat 100% clean for an extended period of time without going crazy. Kudos to those who can, but it's not for me. Therefore, my goal is to eat clean 80-90% of the time, and limit the damage of the other 10-20%.

Will start out by tracking calories using MyFitnessPal, starting tomorrow (9/4/13).

TRAINING
    Returning to a 3-Day, full body routine that I had results with mid-2011. Workouts will be Monday/Wednesday/Friday after work, and consist of the following exercises:

Chest: (3-4 x 8-12) Bench Press (BB/DB), DB Fly
    Back: (3-4 x 8-12) Pulldown, Seated Rows, Chinups
    Shoulders: (3 x 8-12) Overhead DB Press, Military BB Press
    Legs: (3-4 x 8-12) Press, Curls, Extension
    Biceps: (3 x 8-12) Curls
    Triceps: (3 x 8-12) Pushdown, Extension
    Core: (1-3 x 12-15) Hanging Leg Raise, Crunch
    Misc: (1-3 x 12-15) Shrugs, Calf Raises
    Post-workout: 20 min cardio

Keeping it very simple from the start and just working on getting into the gym 3 days a week to complete this circuit on machines before moving up to free weights and adding in things like squats/deadlifts. I know this is a controversial topic, but in the past my best progress has been going to the gym by myself/on my own schedule and using machines. As I'm in Lexington, KY for the next few months for work and don't know anyone here, I wouldn't even have a gym partner if I wanted one.

Tuesdays and Thursdays will be my AM Fasted-Cardio days, aiming for 30-40 min before work. Saturday/Sunday will be rest or light cardio (walking 1-2 miles). Since I'll still be fasting these days, I'll be taking a BCAA (Scivation xTend) 10 min prior. *DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT I WANT TO MAKE THIS AN EVERYDAY THING... THOUGHTS?*

On the topic of supplements, in addition to xTend, I'll also be using MP Assault (creatine/intra-workout) and AtLarge Nutrition Nitrean/Opticen (post-workout protein shakes/meal replacement shakes).

Will update later tonight/tomorrow with current pictures, more measurements (if I can find my soft tape), and target starting weights for my lifts based on my last attempt at this.

Alfred: Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

#69 themethod88, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Good luck sir!

11. themethod88

[​IMG]

Yikes. 258.

Alternately walked/jogged/ran 2 miles after work, 32:20. Gotta start somewhere. According to this calculator, I burned roughly 375 calories.

Tracked all my food today and ended up at 2605 cal; add in exercise and I get a net of 2230, just under my goal of 2400.

Day 1 in the books. Tomorrow starting IF and signing up at the new gym down the street.

12. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

That's what I thought to myself when I saw 253 on the scale in January....:scared:

The best advice I can give you is.....strap up for the long haul.

Lets put together a good sustainable plan....one that you can stick to week after week....because this is going to take some time...

But to give you something to look forward to, you should be able to drop a considerable amount of bodyfat while packing on some quality muscle mass at the same time for the first few months....

....and that is the way to do it....recomposition baby! Lose fat and add muscle at the same time! :madpimp:

13. themethod88

I'm beginning to question whether the goals I set out in my last post are reasonable or not. I'm kind of banking on the fact that weight loss should be a lot faster at the start, but I don't want to set myself up for failure if it's not realistic. The same calculator I used to calculate my TDEE shows me hitting 200 lbs in 49 weeks, or August of next year, a full 4 months after I'd like to be there (March 2014).

So... anyone more experienced than myself have any thoughts on whether 60lbs in 6 months is realistic or not? Averages out to between 2-2.5lbs a week over 26 weeks. Is it possible my initial 2-3 month weight loss will be fast enough to offset a slower drop over the last 2-3 months??

If not, maybe some help determining more realistic, sustainable goals so I don't get frustrated and quit?

e: and if I'm aiming for more of a recomp than straight weight loss, maybe I should set my goals differently... kalsjdf;lksjadf. just need A PLAN OF ATTACK.

#73 themethod88, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I replied to your PM....I will be back in here after my workout.....and we will get you going.

15. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Soooo.....lets get this party started.
    I want to post here in case others read....and we can help the general community at large while we get you rolling....

Just starting out.....we do not need to be terribly scientific.....that's the great news.
    But lets calculate some target macros for the hell of it.

Lets say you are 250lbs and 33% BF. (Don't worry, you can extrapolate my calculations to whatever....)
    That gives us a lean body mass (LBM) of about 165.
    you want to be targeting 165*1.25 ~206 grams of protein per day. Call it 205.

From your PMs, lets say your "maintenance" number is 3000. So we can cut on 2500 and have you dropping at least a pound of BF per week.....at least.
    We want to not exceed 25% of cals from fats.....which would be (2500*0.25)/9 ~ 70g of fat
    The rest goes to carbs ~ (2500 -(70*9) - (205*4)) / 4 ~ 260 g of carbs

I spent my first 2 months doing almost nothing special besides eliminating fast food garbage......burgers, fries, etc....I wasn't even lifting weights.....lol
    Seriously.....if you eliminate the bullshit....and eat whole foods that target the macros I gave you.....you will absolutely scorch the bodyfat...
    If you blow up 3 times a week and binge....you are not going to get the results you want.

If you are in a pinch and need food....eat a subway sandwich....and leave off the mayo and oil and other fatty crap that has no nutritional value.

Once you decide to start cooking, you will find that you can cook twice a week and be fine....

More to come as you have questions. But this post will win you 80% of the war you are waging. :nod:

16. themethod88

Awesome, thanks for the info!! :bow:

Quick question* - would you aim for the same macros on lift/rest days? For example, I've seen some people suggest kcals being something like a -20/0 or even -30/-10 split, or even changing the ratio of carbs/fats depending on if it's a lift/rest day. Or should I just remember the first rule of engineering, K.I.S.S.

*I'm aware that right now, for me, just eating better and getting to the gym consistently is the number one goal, so maybe splitting those days is unnecessary... I guess more of a hypothetical than anything.

17. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

For now....lets keep it easy and basic....

This, quite frankly is more of a case study than anything...
    We need to spend a few weeks seeing how your body reacts to these macro targets....

Don't worry....if you are consistent, I can basically guarantee that you will make massive progress in the first month or 2....

Once we get down toward 15%-18% BF....if you are looking like you may be plateauing....then we will look into macro adjustments and eating differently on workout days....

BTW, given this set of macros....I am assuming you are doing zero cardio.....just hitting the weights 3 times a week.....if you hate cardio, you don't have to do it....:nope:

I haven't done cardio for the sake of cardio this year....:lol:
    I think it is counter-productive when trying to add lean mass....

Edit: give me two clean weeks to see what your scale weight, and waist measurement do....I fully expect you to make great progress....and when you do, we will put in a cheat meal on the weekend....

I have been eating BBQ, Mexican and Italian lately....I like to go for the carb bomb to fuel up for the next week....:lol:

18. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Also, lets talk about your goals.....what do you want to accomplish?

I saw that you wanted x pounds on X date....but they are really aggressive unless you are willing to starve yourself month after month....

I would rather you drop bodyfat while adding some lean muscle mass....you will sure as hell like what you see in the mirror more....:D

19. themethod88

OK so, first up - 2 weeks of clean eating @ 2500kcal/day, yeah?

re: cardio - I kind of wanted to work this in, especially since I'll be playing soccer this fall and would like to increase my stamina/endurance. I think I recall reading that a solid 45-60 min workout can have a similar effect though, so maybe instead of 40+ min cardio sessions, I can keep it to ~20-30 min early morning fasted cardio a few days a week without hurting my strength training?

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that 200lbs by March 17th is probably unrealistic without seriously starving myself. Since setting weight-based goals may not be the best way to go with a recomp vs. cut/bulk, I'm thinking a more tangible goal may be to fit comfortably into a pair of 32 or 34 waist jeans, same as I was in college.

And since I still would like some kind of weight to aim for, I'm thinking maybe 220 by March 17th, so 40lbs over 26 weeks = 1.5lbs/week, much more attainable, even if I am putting on lean muscle. Thoughts?

20. themethod88

Felt good to get back in the gym last night and start moving some weights around. First week or so I just want to get the blood pumping and get a good baseline for where I'm starting re: lifts. A bit sore today, but that's something I'm looking forward to.

And now for my first test. This e-mail just went out at work:

Gee, thanks Derrick. :mad: