1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

[Generic Journal Name, Go!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by themethod88, Oct 29, 2009.

1. themethod88

themethod88 Active Member

Finally starting my journal after many months of lurking... I got tired of coming up with excuses for why I couldn't improve my life the way so many others have done.

First, a bit of a background. Like John, I was very active through high school and the first part of college, eating and drinking what I wanted when I wanted with no repercussions, thinking I could get away with it. Nope - after years of being the skinny kid (30" jeans as a 6'0" high school senior) it finally caught up with me. Around my junior year of college the binge drinking and cafeteria food began taking their toll and only got worse from there. I flirted with the gym and diets a few times but nothing stuck, and it's been that way for the last 3-4 years. What did stick was seeing pictures of myself posted on facebook this summer; I honestly couldn't believe some of them were me. I was completely floored, and completely disgusted. As a result of the economic downturn, I was layed off late last year and remained unemployed until 3 weeks ago, so I spent my summer boozing and eating more than ever. I've only recently come to realize how depressed I was, often waking up after 12pm to no job, no girlfriend... nothing. So I would drink, and I would eat... a lot. I can really connect with John's "worst day of my life" photo, because that is where I was, and where I never want to find myself again.

Only a month removed from that lifestyle, it feels like years. I got a good job as an engineer with a company that I really like that offers plenty of room to grow. I got a gym membership and haven't missed a workout yet. I completely overhauled my diet and haven't had fast food or pop (soda) in weeks. For the first time in awhile, I really feel like my life is on track again, and it feels good. So good that I'm not gonna let it stop. Not this time.

But to keep myself honest, and to really enjoy the great community here to the fullest extent, I felt like I needed to come out from the shadows and start my own journal. I took a few start photos that I plan on posting later this evening when I get home but for now I wanted to get my intro out of the way and at least the beginnings of my diet/workout plan.

Starting Stats:
    Ht: 6'0"
    Wt: 248 lbs
    BF%: 29-30% (very rough estimate from online calculator using soft tape measurements)

Pictures:
    [Coming this evening]

Diet:

For my diet I've eliminated all fast food and pop and have stuck to water and the occasional green tea for drinks. I'm trying to stick close to a 40/40/20 macro from 6 meals a day, but typically my Fitday logs are showing closer to 50/30/20 so I may need to up the protein intake. My average daily caloric intake over the past 2 weeks is 2000-2200, and I feel I may need to increase this as well.

Training:

Starting out, I plan on doing 3 full body workout routines on M/W/F followed by brief cardio, and longer cardio sessions on T/TH. A word on my gym - my company is a sponsor of the local YMCA so I get my membership for $17/month. As an added bonus, there is a "Y Express" on location here that I have been going to since it's so close and I'm usually the only person there. The downside is that it only has a few cardio machines and a Cybex Multi-station gym, but no free weights aside from dumbbells :( So for now, my lifting plan is as follows (exercises listed together are done as supersets):

Leg Press 3x8
    Leg Curl 3x8

Flat Bench Press 3x8
    Low Row 3x8

Shoulder Press 3x8
    DB Shrugs 3x8

DB Curls 3x8
    Tricep Extensions or Kickbacks 3x8

Ab work varies, usually a combination of Planks, Bridges, Hanging Leg Lifts, and Crunches.

As I improve, I plan on adding pushups/dips to the routine as well.

If you actually took the time to read all that, thanks - this is one of the most supportive and generous communities I've run across and I hope to be a bigger part of it in the future. Any comments/suggestions are welcome and I really look forward to continuing my transformation with all of you.

2. themethod88

[​IMG]

Adding week 1 picture... ugh :o

Diet was pretty typical, bumped up to 2600 calories from 2000-2200, 49/31/20 macro

45 min recumbent bike today after work, 10.41 miles

3. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

good luck tm88. i've been 248, its not fun. but you're lucky....you hold it in the belly. that's a more forgiving problem. and you're young. and its good to have a job! north hills or south?

4. themethod88

Thanks PMC :tu:

And at the time I registered I was staying with some friends in Green Tree but my job has brought be back north to sunny Meadville, guess I should probably change that. Still a die hard Steelers/Pens fan though!! :D

Going away this weekend, plan on getting my Friday workout in before I leave and hope to resist as much of the cheat food as possible... Primanti Brothers... :drool:

Also considering adding creatine to my plan, but I'm wondering if I should just forget about it this soon into my program and just worry about proper diet/training. My main goal at the moment is fat loss and I realize that more lean muscle will help with that, but only ~1 month into it, would it benefit me to use it or put it on the backburner until later? Thoughts?

5. themethod88

Back to work after a rough weekend in Pittsburgh :doh:

Got in an abbreviated workout Friday at home since the gym is closed while they add new locker rooms, all with dumbbells/bodyweight.

Proud of myself for staying relatively clean this weekend, all things considered. Other than Yuengling :drool:, my food intake was decent, minus one trip to the China buffet...

Ready to get back in the gym tonight, looking to keep my same routine but maybe up the weight and drop the reps this session. Still not sure about how I want to supplement...

And for any fans of "The Hangover"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Happy (belated) Halloween :cool:

6. themethod88

Looking back over my Fitday journal for the past 2 weeks or so I think my nutrition might need a bit of a tweak - I'm regularly logging days of 1900-2100 calories, and often my macros look like 50/30/20. Even though my main goal is fat loss, I feel like I'm low on calories and could stand to bump up protein to closer to a 40/40/20 macro.

I've come up with a rough idea of what a typical day for me SHOULD look like:

M1 (6:30 AM): 2 eggs, 1 Morningstar Farm sausage patty, 1 slice whole wheat toast
    M2 (9:30 AM): Protein bar
    M3 (12:00 PM): Chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, 1 piece fresh fruit (bananas, apples, and pears typically)
    M4 (2:30 PM): 1 serving yogurt/1 piece fresh fruit, 1 serving whole natural almonds/protein bar (take your pick)
    M5 (4:30 PM): PWO Shake - 1 scoop Nitrean, Natural PB, 12 oz Skim Milk (switch to 2%?)
    M6 (6:00 PM): Steak or Pork chop, 1 cup roasted red potatoes, 1 cup veggies
    M7 (9:30 PM): Protein Shake - same as PWO

Please feel free to comment or make suggestions.

7. themethod88

Morning Weigh-In: 238.6

Under 240 and 10lbs dropped since I started 3 weeks ago :) I can't help but think I lost more than that in fat based on what I see in the mirror and the fact that my lifts are going up, must be adding at least a little bit of muscle.

Feeling really good about my workout yesterday; doing 3 full-body workouts a week instead of a split routine, I haven't really felt like I was pushing it as hard as I could have and never was too sore the day after I lifted, compared to how my arms or legs used to feel days after annihilating them once a week. I decided I needed to go bigger last night and I did, and now I'm feeling it today... it's a good sore :nod:

At the moment I'm using a Cybex multi-station gym at the Y across the street as they have no free weights outside of dumbbells, and I'm not really sure how to measure how much weight I'm moving - there are just some plates that go from 1-20 (I think) and I move the pin to where I want it. In any case, tracking the numbers at least gives me a chance to see my workouts relative to each other from week to week, so that's better than nothing.

Yesterday's workout (chest/back stations in use halfway through so I moved to bicep/tricep work earlier than normal):

Leg Press: 8x2, 10x1 @ 12,13,14
    Leg Curl: 8x3 @ 10, 11, 12

Dumbbell Curl: 8x3 @ 20
    Kickback: 8x3 @ 15

Flat Bench Press: 8x3 @ 12, 10, 8 (middle set only to 7)
    Low Row Machine: 8x3 @ 10, 8 , 6

Shoulder Press: 8x3 @ 3
    Shrugs: 8x3 @ 30

Hanging Leg Raises: 8x3
    Crunches: 8, 10, 20

I felt like I pushed my chest, back, and shoulders especially hard and it feels pretty damn good :tu:

Will get another picture posted this week.

8. themethod88

Solid diet today, so-so cardio session after work - 40 minutes, 7.35 miles on recumbent bike.

9. themethod88

Starting to feel a bit of a cold/flu coming on... :(

Was really "fuzzy" mentally all day yesterday, could not focus to save my life, and I can tell I'm starting to get sick - itchy eyes, scratchy throat, terrible headache. I debated even going to the gym at all but I eventually told myself that no excuse was good enough to miss my workout. Really glad I stuck it out - not much different than Monday's results but that's saying a lot considering how crappy I felt. Gonna go again today after work for ~45 min cardio and some ab work. Starting to consider taking tomorrow + the weekend off to kick this thing depending on how much worse it gets over the next 24 hours.

Yesterday's workout:

Leg Press: 8x3 @ 14
    Leg Curl: 8x3 @ 10, 11, 12

Flat Bench Press: 8x4 @ 11, 9, 8, 8 (last set performed after arm work, felt like I had some left in me)
    Low Row Machine: 8x3 @ 11, 9, 7

Shoulder Press: 8x3 @ 2, 3, 3
    Shrugs: 8x3 @ 35

Dumbbell Curl: 8x3 @ 25, 20, 20

Also found out that my (pretty cheap) digital scale that I picked up 2 yrs ago or so no longer works? For the last 4 days it has shown 243.8 any time I get on it, morning, noon, and night. I can't imagine my weight is that consistent that it doesn't even shift a single 1/10th of a lb over 4 days so I'm gonna pick up a new one tonight and hopefully get a better idea of where I'm at. Regardless, I already feel much better and can see some results in the mirror so that's cool. Will upload some pics this morning.

10. themethod88

Some quick pics from this morning before work:

[​IMG]
    Best attempt at a back shot :x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. themethod88

Second day in a row I really had to talk myself into going to the gym - not so much a lack of motivation, but my head/sinuses still aren't right from whatever cold or flu I got going on. Diet has been good all day up til now, but about to sit down to some homemade tacos (...hard to say no to mom's cooking sometimes :lol:)

35 minute recumbent bike - 8.65 miles

12. themethod88

Weigh this morning: 239.8

After a fairly miserable weekend it's back to work. Almost done with this bug and not too much worse for wear. Took Friday off (from work and the gym) and slept nearly all day. Diet consisted of 4 chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk and a few chicken fingers :o. Saturday and Sunday were pretty much back to normal as far as diet goes, but I'm kicking myself for having my first pop in over a month. :mad:

Plan to hit the gym as hard as I can after work but I'm not expecting much, haven't been there since Wednesday and I'm still feeling pretty drained from this damn flu. Still, I haven't given up on this plan just yet which is a small victory compared to the last time I went on a diet - stumbled a bit this weekend but kept at it and picking it back up 110% this week.

Also, I've decided I needed my first concrete goal so here it is: 220 lbs by Christmas morning (6.5 weeks as of this morning). 20 lbs over nearly 7 weeks seems attainable with hard work and a clean diet since I'm still near the beginning of my plan where the weight comes off a little easier. Still, I could be better about my diet up until now so I will be working on revising that a bit and limiting my carbs to AM and pre/post workout as best as I can.

Besides feeling better about myself, I really wouldn't mind my friends and family commenting on my weight loss, so there's my motivation through the end of the year. Then it's time to start working on my summer look. :cool:

13. themethod88

AM Weigh-In: 237.6

Workout yesterday wasn't quite as bad as I had expected, although I was unusually exhausted afterwards. I also discovered that I didn't have the bench press machine set quite right for myself and wasn't getting the full ROM needed (close, but never quite bringing it all the way down to my chest :doh:). After adjusting it, I had to bump the weight down a bit and despite this, felt I got a much better chest workout than the last few weeks.

Yesterday's workout:

Leg Press: 8x3 @ 14, 15, 16
    Leg Curl: 8x3 @ 12, 13, 14

Flat Bench Press: 8x3 @ 10, 8, 6 (and threw in another set after arms - 10x1 @ 6)
    Low Row Machine: 8x3 @ 10, 8, 10

Shoulder Press: 8x3 @ 3
    Shrugs: 8x3 @ 35

Dumbbell Curl: 8x3 @ 20, 20, 25

I think I'll use this plan through the end of the week and start looking at alternate exercises to substitute.. pretty soon I'm gonna have to graduate to the big boy gym across town and start moving some free weights :tu:

14. themethod88

Just returned from a 2 day trip to my first on-site frac job! I recently took a job as a drafter/engineer for a gas and oil well service company and up until now my days were spent behind a computer. Last week though I was asked if I wanted to go out into the field to see a job and jumped at the chance - what an eye opener. I gained a lot of appreciation for what those guys go through day in and day out, and that was on an ideal job - perfect weather for mid-November and a forgiving job site with plenty of room and no rain/mud/snow. Back to back 18 hour days and 8-10 hrs of driving has left me exhausted though and I still haven't kicked whatever cold I have so I'm taking the rest of the week to off for some R&R. All things considered, I did a pretty damn good job of watching my food while I was there and don't think I'm too much worse for wear after missing every workout this week but Monday. I'll be back next week with measurements and workout log, enjoy your weekend. :D

15. themethod88

AM Weigh-In: 235.4

Still haven't gotten rid of this fucking cold. It actually worsened over the weekend, forcing me to miss work yesterday and leaving me absolutely drained. Today is a slight improvement but it's kept me out of the gym and I'm frustrated. The good news is I've been vigilant about my diet and keep telling myself not to give up just because I've missed some workouts. Can't wait until I'm at 100% again so I can destroy the weights. First game of indoor soccer tonight, I'll give it a try if I'm feeling ok this evening, will be a good alternative to cardio in the gym this winter.

16. themethod88

Well I think I'm finally over this cold. Feeling close to 100% and will resume training today after work. Lost our first indoor soccer game of the season last night 6-5 but still felt really good to get the lungs and legs burning again.

For training today I'm going to alter my workout just a tiny bit. The past few weeks I have concentrated on hitting 8 reps per set and adjusted the weight accordingly; this week I'm going to aim to find a weight I can hit my first set 8 times and keep the weight the same across all 3 sets and when I can hit 8 reps each set, I'll bump the weight up. A minor change but something I've seen in other journals and seems a good way to mix it up.

Battery died in my camera so I snapped a quick shot this AM on my phone, will get some more progress pics early next week.

[​IMG]

#16 themethod88, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  17. themethod88

Having been away from the gym since last Monday, coupled with the fact that I'm at about 90% coming off this cold, I was concerned about a step backwards on my lifts and took the weight down accordingly:

Tonight's workout:

Leg Press: 200x8/8/8
    Leg Curl: 175x8, 150x8/8

Flat Bench Press: 100x8/8/15
    Row Machine: 100x8/8/8

Shoulder Press: 62.5x8/8/8
    Shrugs: (DB) 35x8/8

Dumbbell Curl: 15x8, 20x8, 15x8
    Kickback: 15x8/8/8

Monday I should be at 100% and well rested and plan to increase weight across the board.

#17 themethod88, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  18. themethod88

Had a lousy cheat day on Saturday - went out drinking with my cousin and finished off the night at McDonalds.. :o Also have been lazy and missed my Friday workout 2 weeks in a row due to the gym closing early for renovations that day and me not being disciplined enough to workout at home.

This week I plan to stick to my lifts 100% and food will be perfect until Thursday, and even then I will practice moderation despite any temptation otherwise. The last 2 weeks or so have been somewhat of a speed bump for me, between being out of town/being sick and then being lackadaisical the last few days, and I really need to get back on track.

I feel a really big push to eat clean and lift big between now and x-mas to hit my goal of 220. I also just found out that I will be vacationing in OBX sometime in June 2010 so that's gonna be the next big thing to work towards and I couldn't be more pumped. I will NOT be embarrassed to go to the beach and walk around shirtless this summer! :tucool:

Adding a picture from this morning, would be better if not for the last 10-14 days but better than nothing:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#18 themethod88, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. themethod88

Feeling really good about my lifts today, finally back to feeling 100%.

Flat Bench Press: 125x8/8/6
    Seated Row: 125x8x3
    Incline DB Flys: 70x8x3

Leg Press: 212.5x8x3
    Leg Curl: 150x10x1, 175x8x2

Shoulder Press: 75x8x3
    DB Shrugs: 70x8x3

Dumbbell Curl: 25x8x2, 20x8x1, 15x8x1
    Skullcrushers: 35x8x1
    Tricep Kickback: 25x8x1, 20x8x2

Hanging Leg Raises: 8x2

#19 themethod88, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  20. themethod88

AM Weigh-in: 239

I know weight fluctuates daily and all that fun stuff, but it's still really frustrating to not see the scale go down over the past 10-14 days. I know I missed some workouts due to illness, but my diet has been 85-90% and I've been making my workouts again lately and seeing gains there. What I see in the mirror doesn't match what I see on the scale and I guess that's what really matters but it would still be nice to be at 230 right now after hitting 235 just a week or so ago before climbing back up to 239 today. Blah. Need to stay disciplined over Thanksgiving break. Revising my goal of 220 on X-mas morning to 230 :o