1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thurs 4th October

Bench press
    1 x 100kg
    1 x 105
    1 x 112.5
    1 x 120
    1 x 122.5 (PB)

Close grip
    3 x 2 x 95

#861 gazareth, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Saturday 6th October

Deadlift

1 x 182.5kg
    1 x 202.5
    1 x 215
    1 x 227.5 (500 lbs - first time without straps)

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

dejavued likes this.
  4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

500 POUNDS. That is AWESOME. Congratulations.

gazareth likes this.
  5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Monday 8th October

Bodyweight 97.2kg

A Squat
    High bar
    1 x 3 x 160kg
    3 x 2 x 172.5kg
    Low bar
    1 x 2 x 172.5kg

B Paused high bar squat
    3 x 1 x 165kg

C Box squat
    2 x 8 x 120kg

D1 DB walking lunge
    3 x 12/leg

D2 Plank
    3 x 30 secs

D3 Goblet squat
    3 x 12

--

565kg total last week made up of lifts somewhere between 2nd and 3rd attempts. If I hit all of my "best case" third attempts, I should be looking at around 577.5kg. It's a shame I didn't watch my bodyfat levels a bit more closely as the English QT for the 93kg class is 570. Then again, without that extra weight (and muscle) gain, my total may not be as high, especially my bench.

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thursday 11th October

A Bench press

5 x 92.5kg
    4 x 1 x 100

B Larsen press
    3 x 6 x 92.5kg

C1 DB row
    5 x 20 x 22.5kg

C2 Cable curl
    5 x 20

C3 Cable tricep extension
    5 x 20

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    500lbs without straps? Good lord, you must have forearms of steel!

Jaer
    wonders if you worry about breaking the steering wheel in your car if you squeeze it too hard.

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Funny, because I don't think I have particularly strong grip. My coach can pull 700lbs hook grip. Tom Martin (British powerlifter) has pulled over 400kg (close to 900#) with hook grip. I watched a lot of the British Junior (U23) Championships over the weekend on YouTube, and there were plenty of strong young lads who could pull over 250kg with either hook or mixed grip.

--

Saturday 13th October

A Deadlift

3 x 170kg (straps)
    2 x 2 x 182.5kg (hook grip)
    3 x 2 x 182.5kg (straps)

B Row
    1 x 8 x 90kg
    2 x 8 x 100kg

C1 Bumper plate pinch
    4 x 15 secs/hand

C2 1-arm BB hold
    4 x 15 secs/hand

C3 Plank
    4 x 20 secs x 30kg

--

97.7kg today (heh). As training volume has reduced, I have not exactly reduced my food volume to match, and the scale is reacting accordingly. I compete in 13 days. I have 3 training sessions remaining. This week I am essentially just taking my openers in the gym and doing a bit of accessory fluff. Saturday will be my final training session, then I get 8 days of rest where I will endeavour to sleep, eat, and stretch. Openers look to be set at 202.5kg / 445lb squat, 112.5kg / 247lb bench, and 212.5kg / 467lb deadlift. Based on my last conversation with my coach, "best case" third attempts will be 220kg / 127.5kg / 235kg.

I had a minor disaster on Saturday with my belt. The leather has softened too much and I can no longer buckle it and keep the belt in the right shape at the same time. I managed to semi-rescue it by thumbing it into the right position after fastening it, but I am not 100% confident in its structural integrity. As a result, I've ordered a new one online, which should arrive tomorrow. I will now have the fun of trying to break it in this week and in the warm-up room...

dejavued likes this.
  9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Tuesday 16th October

Squat

3 x 140kg
    3 x 160
    2 x 175
    1 x 190
    1 x 202.5 (opener)

dejavued likes this.
  10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thursday 18th October

A Bench press

5 x 92.5kg
    2 x 100
    1 x 112.5kg (opener)

B1 Lat pulldown 4x12
    B2 Cable curl 4x12
    B3 Cable tricep extension 4x12

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Saturday 20th October

Deadlift

Hook grip unless stated
    3 x 170kg (straps)
    2 x 182.5kg
    1 x 205kg
    1 x 212.5kg (opener)

--

All training done.

Attempt plan something like:
    202.5 -> 212.5 -> 220
    112.5 -> 120 -> 125
    212.5 -> 227.5 -> 232.5

Coach is writing up a flowchart so each lift will have an easy/hard progression, so the numbers above may change on the day (other than the openers, which are set). Openers alone will put 15kg on my total from January, second attempts will give me a lifetime PB on every lift and total, thirds would put me over 570kg.

I'm excited! Just got to get through the boredom of no training this week...

macdiver likes this.
  12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Meet report - Sunday 28th October 2018

The meet was installment #11 in the “Bitesize” series in my division of British Powerlifting. The Bitesize competitions are smaller competitions with an aim of getting new lifters involved in the sport, as well as giving the more experienced folk an opportunity to qualify for nationals. They only award medals for Wilks in male/female equipped/classic, so no weight class awards.

This particular meet had 60 lifters signed up, with a roughly 50/50 split of men and women. Women lifted in the morning and men in the afternoon.

The day

I woke up and weighed myself at 96.7kg - 5kg up on morning weight from January’s comp. As I wasn’t bothered about making weight, I ate a big breakfast and took on plenty of fluids before I drove the 50 minutes to Basingstoke with my wife. I weighed in at 97.6kg. I was in the second group of lifters in the afternoon session, so I had a while to wait around. I spent this time drinking Lucozade, eating Weetabix with chocolate milk, and watching the female lifters finishing up their morning session.

Dave (my coach) had written me out an attempt selection plan with fixed openers and then a hard/easy path for each lift, which was great because it limited the decisions I had to make on the day.

Squat

My plan for the warm-ups was to go 60-100-140-160-180-190 and then open at 202.5. I did a double at 160kg and then loaded what I thought was 180. Unfortunately, my plate-maths got thrown by the presence of 25kg plates (which I don’t usually use), and I ended up squatting 200kg. I had a few seconds of anxiety over how slowly “180” had moved before realising my mistake and deciding to end my warm-ups there!

First attempt - 202.5kg / 446 lbs (three whites)

One of those weird ones where at the time it feels a little sluggish, but on video it looks like air. I had a few anxieties about my depth after my last training session so I sank this nice and deep and left no room for interpretation.

Second attempt - 215kg / 474 lbs (three whites) - 5kg PB

I’m naturally cautious but my buddy who was handling me assured me my opener was fast, so we went for the “easy” route on Dave’s selection plan. It felt good as I walked it out, but as I started to descend the bar rolled down my back a tiny bit. I ended up in what felt like a more bent-over position than normal in the hole and fell forward ever so slightly as I came up. Again, it felt slow but it actually moved pretty smoothly in reality.

Third attempt - 220kg / 485 lbs (three whites) - 10kg PB

I stuck with the planned third and decided that I would probably need to cut my depth a little. I really sank the first two and gave myself a couple of inches to play with. I guess I judged that cut perfectly because the video looks borderline but I got all white lights. The lift itself was a real fight, with a sticking point about halfway up that defeated me in January. It was especially nice to overcome the same weakness that foiled me back then. I celebrated with gusto as I left the platform!

Videos of all three attempts

Bench

After squats I was feeling a bit tired so I chugged another half-litre of Lucozade and ate a Mars bar. Warm-ups went pretty smoothly, not much to talk about here really: 60-80-90-100, no dramas.

First attempt - 112.5kg / 248 lbs (three whites)

The platform crew were bantering with me as I set-up on the bench, which was unusual, but it helped me relax. The Eleiko bench felt sooooo nice to be on and I got what felt like a great, stable set-up. The lift itself was comfortable, but not as fast as it had been in the gym.

Second attempt - 117.5kg / 259 lbs (three whites) - 2.5kg PB

As the opener had not been super-fast, I went with the “hard” track from Dave’s plan. Again, this was slower than I'd hope, and I had a slight twinge in my low back which hinted at potential cramp in my future… I chugged more Lucozade and cracked open my tub of Haribo Tangfastics.

Third attempt - 120kg (three whites) / 265 lbs - 5kg PB

This was the number I really wanted coming into the day. I wasn’t prepared to risk missing 122.5 and come away having failed to bench 120… again, especially with a minor back issue. This turned out to be a great selection; there was a sticking point a few inches off the chest but I pushed through it to lockout. I might have been able to fight through 122.5, who knows.

Deadlift

By the time we finished benching, I was exhausted and just wanted to nap. I drank more sugary drinks, ate another Mars bar, Haribo, and a banana. Warm-ups moved really nicely and my hook grip felt strong and locked in. I taped my thumbs up for the warm-up sets just to make sure I didn’t start any skin tears off early, then took the tape off for my opener.

First attempt - 212.5kg / 468 lbs (three whites)

So easy. Probably my most convincing opener of the day, which was something given how tired I felt.

Second attempt - 227.5kg / 501 lbs (three whites) - 7.5kg PB

I took the “easy” path and jumped to the 500lb milestone that I wanted to grab along with that 120kg bench. I had done this in the gym a few weeks previously, but this moved so much faster.

Third attempt - 235kg / 518 lbs (one white, two reds)

I had been apprehensive going into my other third attempts as to whether I would make them. With this, the second felt so comfortable I was sure I would get it. The bar flew off the floor and to my knees really fast… and in fact it kept moving well right the way until I was almost locked out. Unfortunately, at some point the bar slipped in my hands slightly and I ended up in a not-quite-locked-out position where it felt like I would drop the bar if I attempt to pull any further. The centre referee gave me a few seconds to see if I could give her an extra inch (fnarr) before giving me the down signal. I was pretty sure I hadn’t got it but I was still gutted to see the two reds ruining my first 9/9! Looking again I have a feeling the bar snagged on my singlet - more baby powder needed next time, clearly.

Total

8 from 9 saw me finish on 567.5kg with 348 Wilks, for a 50kg increase on my total in 9 months, and a 32.5kg PB on my best total from back in 2011. I don’t know where I placed, but it was outside the top 3. Judging by the Wilks of those chaps, I was probably 5th or 6th (out of 20 ish).

What’s next

As someone who has been in and out of training and the gym many times before, above all I just want to carry on training and building on this momentum. I’m stronger now than ever before, and I really want to see how far I can take myself. I turn 40 in a few years and I really believe I can get myself to the level where I can challenge for the podium at British Masters level.

I’m going to be continuing to train with Dave - I’d be stupid not to after all of the amazing gains he’s helped me get this year! I won’t be competing again until the spring or summer of 2019, but a 600kg total in the 93kg class is my next target. It’d be nice to push my bench up towards 300lbs next year too…

I've gotten a bit too fluffy over the last few months so a caloric deficit is very much in my short-term future plans.

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

All my lifts in one video:

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Great job. Sorry you didn't get the final deadlift.

gazareth likes this.
  15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

On review I'm pretty sure the bar snagged on my singlet, which made my grip slip slightly. A wee bit of baby powder on there and I probably would have got it. I'm not mad though, the strength is there for 240kg on the right day, so maybe I can look at pulling 245-250kg in my next meet!

--

We're going on vacation on the 17th for a week so it doesn't seem like there is any point to starting a new training block right away. So, I'm just gonna do some "bro work" type training for a couple of weeks under my own steam and then resume with my coach on the 26th.

This week is mainly about getting the blood flowing and recovery going - minimal barbell work, focus on reps. I'm also steering clear of squats, lunges, and anything else that might irritate my left knee until I'm back from vacation. It's been giving me (very minor) issues since early in the year and I just haven't taken the time to let it properly recover; hopefully a few weeks of low stress will set me up for another successful training block.

Wednesday 31st October

A1 SSB good mornings

1 x 8 x 86kg
    3 x 8 x 96kg

A2 Leg extensions
    4 x 15 x whatever (not very heavy TBH)

A3 GHR
    2 x 8 x bodyweight
    2 x 8 assisted by black band

A4 Reverse sled pulls
    1 x 1L x 140kg
    3 x 1L x 180kg
    1L = 1 length of the open gym room, I'm terrible at guessing distance, maybe 10m?

Thursday 1st November

A DB bench press

Just wanted to get 100 reps in, didn't push myself too hard
    4 x 25 x 20kg

B1 Chin-ups
    3 x 5 x bodyweight

B2 Push-ups
    3 x 20

B3 Cable curls
    3 x 15 x whatever

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Saturday 3rd November

A Block pulls

4 x 8 x 140kg beltless with hook grip

B1 RDL
    1 x 10 x 100kg
    3 x 10 x 110kg

B2 DB row
    Standing, hand on raised end of incline bench
    1 x 8 x 27.5kg
    3 x 8 x 30kg

C1 OH press
    1 x 5 x 60kg
    3 x 6 x 50kg

C2 Plank
    4 x 30 secs

--

So sore, send help

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Monday 5th November

A Bench press

5 x 10
    Can't remember weights off the top of my head, but it was something like 80, 85, 85, 80, 75

B Larsen press
    4 x 6 - 70, 72.5, 72.5, 75 I think

C1 Cable flyes
    5 x 10

C2 Lat pulldown
    5 x 12

C3 DB bicep curl
    5 x 20

C4 DB tricep extension
    5 x 20

Glorious pump.

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Tuesday 6th November

A1 Wide-stance, high box SSB squat

4 x 8: 126kg, 136, 141, 146

A2 Bodyweight forward lunge
    4 x 12/leg

B1 GHR
    4 x 8: with black band, with red band, bodyweight, with red band

B2 Reverse sled drag
    4 x 2 lengths of "Heroes" room (10-15m per length?) x 160kg

B3 Plank
    4 x 30 secs

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Wednesday 7th November

A Board press

5 x 10: something like 80kg, 85, 85, 85, 85

B OH press
    4 x 6: 45kg, 50, 52.5, 50

C Chin-ups
    5 x 5

D1 Cable tricep extension
    D2 Cable bicep curl

4 x 12

Was a bit pushed for time so I missed out a couple of exercises I had planned to do (DB bench press, seated row).

20. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Saturday 10th November

A Deadlift

Beltless
    2 x 5 x 160kg
    1 x 5 x 170kg
    Belt on
    1 x 5 x 170kg
    All hook grip

B1 RDL
    4 x 10 x 120kg (loose belt for some sets, straps for all)

B2 Reverse lunge
    4 x 10/leg x bodyweight

C1 BB row
    3 x 8: 80kg, 90, 90

C2 Plank
    3 x 30 secs