1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weighed at 225lbs yesterday, so that's 11lbs in 13 days! Had chilli with brisket, jacket potato and sprouts for my HSM yesterday.

Three shakes left today and then I'm half way through the all-liquid portion of the diet.

Just finished a Sunday afternoon garden lift.

Fat gripz bench press
    4 x 6 - 2x60, 2x65kg (I think? Might have gone upto 70kg for one set)
    Love the fat gripz, helps shoulders and elbows. So weak though!

RDL
    4 x 8 - 60, 70, 2x75kg

Jungle Gym inverted rows
    6 x 6 - done between sets of BP and RDL

Jungle Gym face pulls
    2 x 10 - done between sets of RDLs

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on reaching double digits with your weight loss.

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Day 16 almost done. 12 days to go before I get the luxury of eating real food every day.

Training, Tuesday 14th October @ home

A1 Bulgarian split squats w/ KB in goblet position - all with 16kg KB
    1 x 6/side, 3 x 8/side
    A2 Plank - 3 x 30 secs
    90 secs rest between A2 and A1

B1 Jungle Gym push-ups - 3 x 8
    B2 KB swings - 3 x 10 x 20kg
    60 secs rest between B2 and B1

C Jungle Gym 3-way shoulder finisher
    2 rounds of:
    6 x reverse flyes
    6 x external rotations
    6 x face pulls

Really hammering my upper back so far. It needs it.

I enjoy a good session with minimal equipment. No loading of bars here, which also means no getting the f***ing thing (or plates) out of the shed. As a result, I got through this pretty quickly. All I needed was a bench (foot rest for the split squats), 2 KBs and the Jungle Gym. If you don't know what a Jungle Gym is, check it out here. It's fast becoming my favourite piece of training equipment as it's so versatile and easy to set-up and get going with. You can achieve pretty much the same stuff with a TRX (I think those are more expensive) or some cheaper blast straps with rings.

#63 gazareth, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the link; I didn't know what type of exercise equipment a Jungle Gym is.

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight loss has slowed down this week. 223.75# yesterday. Today is the end of week 3 - I've postponed this week's solid meal to tomorrow due to extraordinary circumstances.

Training today @ home

Trap bar deadlift - high handles
    3 x 5 x 140kg

Trap bar RDL
    8 x 75, 80, 85kg

Jungle gym superset: push-ups and inverted rows, 3 x 8 each

Jungle gym 3-way shoulder finisher - 2 x 6/6/6

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Week 3 is in the books and week 4 is underway. This is the final part of the all-liquid piece :claphigh:

Yesterday I weighed in at 221lbs, representing a total loss of around 15lbs in 22 days! I then enjoyed my postponed HSM of ribeye steak, sweet potato and peas.

In week 3 I lifted twice (Tuesday and Sunday). In week 4 I am aiming for three times (Tuesday, Thursday/Friday and Sunday).

I am now starting to plan for the transition phase:
    Week 5: one HSM per day - I have found it relatively easy to stay on top of hunger until early evening so I think I'm going to have my HSM as my dinner. This way I can eat with my wife and I get the prospect of an evening meal to look forward to each day.
    Week 6: two HSMs per day - I will most likely add the second daily HSM in as my lunch.

I'm starting to make a list of HSM lunch and dinners to cycle during this two week period. After week six, I will likely move over to something like this for my meal plan:

M1: breakfast shake (semi-skimmed milk, Greek yoghurt, frozen berries, scoop of protein powder) <-- this is really good and has a great macro breakdown
    M2: solid meal - e.g. scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa in a wholewheat wrap, half a roast chicken with salad, etc
    M3: 2 scoops PP in water
    M4: solid meal - e.g. beef brisket chilli with cauliflower rice, fish and veggies, chicken/broccoli/pesto pasta, etc

I'll track my cals/carbs and then add a final bedtime shake and tbsp of PB if I can "afford" it. I'll aim for around 2,000 calories a day and don't want to go above 150g of carbs.

I also want to start adding in some cardio once I'm done with the transition phase. I'm looking into getting a Kurt Kinetic so I can use my MTB as a stationary bike indoors. I like the prospect of doing some daily LISS or HIIT :nod:

--

The reason for the postponement of my HSM was that my grandfather died on 4th October, one month shy of his 93rd birthday. Yesterday was his funeral - a sad, emotional day but also once of celebration of the life of a great, great man. My father and uncle did the eulogy and finished it with the line "a man who taught us the true meaning of unconditional love" - I could not put it better myself. Rest in peace, granddad. :heart:

Anyway, after the service we had a big family meal (30-something of us) in a local pub and I wanted to make sure I could properly partake of the occasion and not just sit there nursing a diet coke while everyone else ate. Although it was due to such a sad situation, it was also really lovely to see my extended family - now that most of us are grown-up with our own families it is very rare that we see each other. Mainly just weddings, major anniversaries, and funerals.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thank you.

--

It was insanely windy yesterday here - we had gale-force winds after a hurricane over the eastern Atlantic. Rather than battle the winds in the garden I decided to train today instead. It was pretty cold so I had to wrap up warm (base layer, t-shirt and hoody on top, compression tights and shorts on bottom!). I also got to use my latest bit of equipment - a 20kg weight vest. It has 20 x 1kg weights so you can fine-tune all the way from 1kg to 20, which is neat.

Wednesday 22nd October training @ home

A1 Fat gripz bench press
    2 x 6 x 65kg, 2 x 6 x 70kg

A2 Jungle Gym rows with 1 second hold-and-squeeze at top
    4 x 6

B1 Jungle Gym split squat
    4 x 8/side wearing 20kg weight vest

B2 Jungle Gym rows with shorter straps (slightly easier than A2)
    4 x 6

C1 Band Pallof press
    3 x 8/side with one red band

C2 Jungle Gym 3-way shoulder finisher
    2 x 6/6/6

Still not training with a particular structure in mind, but I have the key areas I want to target and then just do what I feel like towards those areas each session. Enjoying it so far.

Four more days of the V-diet main phase left.

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on making it through the V-Diet and condolences on your loss.

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Not quite through it yet!

Weighed 219# today. 17# down in 26 days.

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Final day of the Velocity Diet liquid-only phase \o/ In fact, yesterday was the final all-liquid day as I haven't had my week's solid meal yet - my mum is doing a family meal later so I'm going over there for that :eat:

From tomorrow, I get to eat a solid meal every day. This week looks like:
    Monday & Tuesday: beef brisket chilli and cauliflower rice
    Wednesday: salmon* with sweet potato and avocado salad
    Thursday: going out - Nando's - chicken & salad
    Friday: going out - something healthyish from the menu (haven't seen menu yet)
    Saturday: might be going to a birthday party - TBD
    Sunday: ?
    *My new sous-vide gadget arrives Tuesday so I'm going to cook the salmon in there :eat:

Weighed in today at 219.0 dead-on, so that's an even 17lbs lost in 28 days. Decent work I'd say. Waist was about 42" yesterday. Probably a fair bet that it was about 44" at the start, but that's a guess.

Next goals: complete the Velocity Diet transition phase (two weeks); lose at least 10lbs by end of November (35 days - 2 lbs/week) to get under 15 stone

Training Sunday 26th October @ home

A1 Front squat - 4 x 3 x 80kg*
    A2 Jungle Gym push-ups - 3 x 8

B1 Jungle Gym inverted rows - 3 x 10
    B2 Barbell supine bridge - 8 x 70kg, 2 x 8 x 60kg

C1 Barbell roll-outs - 2 x 8
    C2 Jungle Gym face-pulls 2 x 10

* I'm going to give Mike Robertson's simple front squat cycle a go:
    Week 1: 4×3@70%, 3 minutes rest between sets
    Week 2: 5×3@80%, 4 minutes rest between sets
    Week 3: 2×3@75%, 3 minutes rest
    Week 4: 3×3@85%, 4-5 minutes rest

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about your grandfather. Glad that the funeral was a celebration. It's comforting to see the support come out in recognition of the truly worthy people.

Congrats on the v-diet! I did that for a while, but ended up getting sick (bad cold). I tend to think I got it due to over-training/under-eating. I don't generally get sick, and when I do, usually get through it quick, but that sucker knocked me off my ass, and off my diet. Never got back to it after that.

Jaer
    isn't suggesting the diet is bad. Just be mindful of health when doing something that extreme.

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I've actually been pretty healthy all through the V-Diet. I've certainly had colds while cutting before but I've been OK so far. Maybe the Greens supplement and Vitamin D make a difference?

--

Weighed at 219lbs again today, so no change from the weekend. That's reassuring given that I've been eating solid food again every day.

Training Weds 29th October @ home

Horrible weather today - rain, wind, cold - so I did a quick session with minimal equipment.

A1 KB goblet squat - 5 x 10 x 24kg
    A2 KB swing - 5 x 10 x 24kg
    1 min rest between sets

B1 Jungle Gym inverted rows - 4 x 8
    B2 Jungle Gym push-ups - 4 x 8
    1 min rest between sets

edit: man I'm out of shape. I've been finished 15 minutes and I'm still slightly shaky/nauseous. :lol:

#73 gazareth, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training today @ home - upper body

A1 Fat gripz bench press 4 x 6 x 70kg
    A2 Jungle Gym inverted rows 4 x 8

B1 Overhead press 3 x 8 x 40kg
    B2 JG face pulls 3 x 10
    B3 Band Pallof press 3 x 8/side with 2 red bands

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Today is the last day of transition week 1.

Everything has gone to plan except for two minor slip-ups:

1) Friday's solid meal was a meal out with friends and it was more of a cheat meal than a Healthy Solid Meal: soup & bread to start, followed by pork belly on a rich bean stew served with very buttery veg. Not awful, not great. I had a glass of wine as well.

2) I had two solid meals yesterday - steak, sweet potato and sprouts early afternoon, and some pork chilli at a party in the evening. Neither meal was unhealthy, but it still counts as a slip-up. I'm not sweating this one at all.

Last weigh-in was 219lbs on Friday, so I've not lost any scale weight since finishing the V-Diet. I have however lost half an inch off my waist (down to 41.5").

Training today @ home - lower body

A Front squats - 5 x 3 x 90kg

B RDLs - 4 x 8 x 80kg

C1 Barbell bridge - 3 x 8 x 60kg
    C2 Barbell roll-outs - 3 x 6

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Transition week 2 is underway - two solid meals per day. I got off to a bad start yesterday at a training workshop in London. Whenever I've been to this type of event before, the provided lunch has been a hot meal, typically chicken and rice with vegetables or something along those healthy lines. I gambled that it would be like this yesterday, only to be faced with a buffet of cold sandwiches. All of the fillings were mayo-heavy and none of the bread was wholemeal. I ended up having 5 or 6 mini wraps, a banana and a couple of spring rolls. I'm sure I ate too many calories and macros were definitely off. The evening meal was better: pan-fried salmon fillet with cous cous, roasted veg (onion, pepper, carrot) and tenderstem broccoli.

The rest of the week's menu looks like:

Tuesday
    Lunch: 3 scrambled eggs, avocado, home-made salsa, chorizo in wholewheat tortilla wrap
    Dinner: pork fillet with new potatoes and veggies

Wednesday
    Lunch: see Tuesday
    Dinner: chicken breast with pasta, broccoli and green pesto

Thursday & Friday
    Lunch: pork loin steak in wholewheat pitta bread; apple
    Dinner: vegetable tagine with chicken thigh

Saturday
    Lunch: chicken thighs in wholewheat pitta or wrap (TBD) and salad
    Dinner: steak (going out in London)

Haven't planned for Sunday yet.

Have crazy DOMS in my hamstrings today :cry:

I'm laughably unfit. This morning I had to take my car to the mechanic for some work. I loaded my bike into the boot (trunk) and rode home after I had dropped the car. It was only 2.5-3 miles but my legs were burning a lot of the way and I couldn't sustain any kind of speed. In fairness my legs are quite sore from Sunday's workout but this felt like plain old unfitness. Stuff to work on.

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Transition week continuing to go well. Except I weighed in yesterday and still hadn't lost any weight (in fact, I had gained 1/2 a pound). I'll weigh in on Saturday and do a waist measurement.

Hamstrings still sore from Sunday.

Thurs 6th November training @ home - upper body

A1 Fat grip bench press clusters* - 3 x (3x2) x 75kg
    A2 JG inverted rows with squeeze at top - 3 x 8
    *each set was 2 reps, rack bar, count to 15, 2 more reps, rack bar, count to 15, 2 reps, hence 3 x (3x2)

B1 FG overhead press - 3 x 8 x 42.5kg
    B2 JG face pulls with external rotation - 3 x 10
    B3 Band Pallof press - 3 x 8/side with 2 red bands

#77 gazareth, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

220# and about 41.75" waist this morning. Since V-diet end (nearly 2 weeks ago), that's +1lb and -0.5".

Training Fri 7th Nov @ home

Deload on the front squat cycle this week - couldn't be bothered to get the squat stands out so I did some goblet squats instead.

A1 RDLs - 4 x 8 x 90kg
    A2 Goblet squats - 4 x 10 x 24kg

B1 Barbell Bridge - 3 x 8 x 65kg
    B2 Barbell roll-outs - 3 x 6

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I've officially finished the Velocity Diet - yesterday was the final day of the transition phase. Saturday & Sunday were not very transition-y and overall were not good in terms of diet. We went to London to watch rugby and then see some friends. I ate:

Saturday
    Morning - 3 scoops PP, 1 tbsp flax
    12.30pm - 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a wholewheat wrap, 1 apple
    2pm - hog roast in white baguette
    5pm - protein bar
    9pm - dinner out. starter: two belly pork ribs; mains: (approx) 400g/15oz steak, 1 sweet potato, broccoli; drinks: 1/4 bottle red wine, 1 strong whisky cocktail, 2 glasses champagne

Sunday
    Morning - bacon sandwich on wholemeal bread
    4pm - 2 scoops PP
    6pm - 4 slices wholemeal toast with peanut butter!
    9pm - Thai green curry with rice

Hopefully you will agree that this was not a terrible weekend but it was far from ideal from the perspective of body recomp! But hey - I didn't eat anything sweet. I haven't eaten any ice cream, biscuits (cookies), chocolate, pastries, desserts, etc, for over six weeks now. This was a key habit for me to break.

I also noticed how sensitive I was to the bread on Sunday - I got really hyper after eating it and then had a major crash in terms of energy and mood. Good positive reinforcement for keeping that out of my diet.

I'm going to track my meals in my journal for a while. Here's Monday so far:

Monday
    Breakfast - 3 scoops PP, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 tbsp flax, 500ml water
    Lunch - Subway 6" on 9-grain wheat, chicken breast, cheese, salad (400 cals ish total?), apple
    Afternoon - 2 scoops PP, 1tbsp PB
    Dinner - sea bass fillet, pancetta, salsa, avocado, potatoes

We need to go shopping later for our week's groceries - we have no food in the house now hence the emergency Subway lunch.

I've got some beef short rib in the water bath* at 56C (132F) at the moment - started last night and it's going to be ready tomorrow evening. It will provide (hopefully) an amazingly tasty meal for two nights.

*I got one of these a couple of weeks ago. It turns any analogue-switched kitchen cooking device into a temperature-controlled water bath, allowing you to cook stuff using a technique known as sous vide (French for "under vacuum"). You seal food in a food-safe plastic bag, get the water to the correct temperature and then dunk the food for the required time. Steak at 53C (127F) for about an hour turns out perfectly medium-rare from edge-to-edge - you then flash fry quickly to get some Maillard reaction and brown it. It's AWESOME and is quickly changing my way of cooking most cuts of meat. Boneless chicken thighs and cheap pork loin cuts have come out incredibly tender and moist. I seriously recommend looking into sous vide if you are at all into cooking.

--

My cardio conditioning is terrible. I do want to go back to rugby eventually too, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and have started Couch-to-5K. This way I can get my aerobic fitness up by the New Year and can hopefully get a bit more out of some anaerobic training.

Couch-to-5K week 1 day 1
    Warm-up: 5mn walk
    Intervals (6): 1mn run / 1:30mn walk
    Cool-down: 5mn walk
    Distance covered: 1.9mi
    Strava

#79 gazareth, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with you that for a weekend away it was not terrible. You've been on a strict regimen of late so a somewhat looser weekend while socializing was probably very good for you from a mental standpoint.

I've never cooked via the sous vide method, but know some people that do, including a trained chef, and they like it.