1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

It's time to dig out that post from earlier in the year where I was all like "I've got this shit sorted now, I'm not gonna get fat again" :blank:

Here's a quick re-cap on what's been happening since my last post:

• My diet has been getting steadily worse, with a huge upswing in the crapness stakes since early December when we went to Saint Lucia for a week
    • I went for runs on Sept 10, Oct 28 & 30 & Nov 4
    • Besides that, my exercise has been limited to a handful of rugby training sessions, half a dozen matches and three pretty pedestrian indoor cricket practice sessions

I'm not sure what hurt more yesterday - the morning weigh-in (first since October) or my evening "run".

Weight 223.4 lbs

Yikes. That's a gain of 15 lbs since October, and 26 lbs since April/May ish. Stellar work, I'd say.

Almost as bad as is my fitness level - yesterday I ran about 0.8 of a mile at slow pace, had to walk for a bit because my back hurt and I was generally gassed, then ran/walk a bit more to complete a pathetically slow 1.5 miles. I deleted it from my watch because I was so ashamed.

I started 2015 with such momentum and goals I felt were achievable - but achieved almost none of them. I'm fatter and less fit than this time last year :claplow:

So now it's time to harness the anger and get things back to how they were. Hopefully 4-5 lbs of the weight gain is just bloat from the excesses of the festive period and I can get down to below 210 by the end of January. As of yesterday I'm correcting my diet back to a similar style to this time last year.

For exercise, I'm going to continue running, although I will need to repeat some of Couch to 5K to build my base back up. While I was able to train in the garden last year, without the momentum behind me I'm struggling to get the motivation to start training outside again just now, so I'm going to join my local gym.

Watch this space.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

:spank:

Now that that is out of the way. You've got this. Fix the diet and the rest falls into place.

:gl:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing you well achieving your goals. 2015 wasn't a great fitness year for many, including me. Let's Do This!

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Still watching. :blank:

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ssshhhh! I gotta catch up to him. :spaz:

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

No progress in either direction to be honest :p

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :dreamy:

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Progress update. Diet has been inconsistent. I last weighed-in a few weeks ago at around 217, so I've lost a bit since January at least, but I'm still a way up from my low weight in April last year.

On the plus side, my fitness is coming along again: I've restarted Couch to 5K and am half way through it. My wife is doing it with me, which is cool :) It's quickly you lose running conditioning - I went from 54 minute 10K shape in May to struggling to run 2 miles in October to not being able to run for 10 minutes in December. I'm hoping that as I get further into the program I'll recover some of my previous conditioning and that it won't take quite as long to get back up to sub-25 minute 5K fitness. I suppose that will also depend on losing some weight!

I just need to add some weights back to the mix and fix my diet, and I'll soon be back in decent shape.

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

In the interests of accountability, I'd like to publicly state that I am fixing my diet as of today. I need some strictness and a framework to operate in. With that in mind, here are the general rules that I applied while I was achieving success in late 2014/early 2015:
    * Breakfast: "super-shake" (protein powder, Greek yoghurt, flax, almond milk, berries)
    * Lunch: protein (usually chicken) with vegetables; "dessert" of an apple & nuts
    * Afternoon snack: protein shake, peanut butter; piece of fruit
    * Dinner: high protein, low-medium carbs, veg - e.g. steak, sweet potato & broccoli or salmon, noodles & asparagus
    * Other permitted daily snacks: 1-2 pieces of fruit, 1 protein bar

On the training front, I'll continue with the running. We're up to week 5 day 3 of C25K now, though we haven't done any for a week. We were away for the weekend and we found it hard to find any evening slots where we were both home last week, so it'll resume tonight. Despite my statement of intent above, I didn't join the local gym. Now that the weather is improving, I'll get back out in my garden and train outside, starting tomorrow.

I'll weigh in tomorrow so I have a good idea of where I'm starting. I suspect I have ~20lbs to lose to get back to my low weight of pretty much one year ago.

John Stone likes this.
  10. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

You got this, Gaz.

gazareth likes this.
  11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I forgot to weigh-in this morning before I had my breakfast, so I'll do it tomorrow. Or maybe I should wait until the weekend so I can get a more instructive, bloat-free, reading.

Yesterday went well. We did our run (5 min walk, 8 min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run, 5 min walk) and diet was fine.

Monday food
    Breakfast - super shake
    Lunch - chicken sandwich with light mayo (had no other lunch options as we hadn't done our grocery shop yet)
    Afternoon - protein bar, apple
    Post-run/pre-grocery shopping - protein bar
    Dinner - Thai pork loin stir-fry

Tuesday food
    Breakfast - super shake
    Lunch - chicken breast, sprouts; apple, cashews
    Afternoon - Quest bar, banana
    Dinner - steak, sweet potato mash, cauliflower

The training plan for the rest of the week is:
    - Tuesday - lift
    - Wednesday - run (lunchtime); indoor cricket training (evening)
    - Thursday - indoor cricket training
    - Friday - lift
    - Saturday - run
    - Sunday - rest

#611 gazareth, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Lifting didn't happen on Tuesday.

Wednesday food
    Breakfast - super shake
    Lunch - chicken breast on two slices wholemeal bread, light mayo; cashews
    Dinner - teriyaki salmon, baked potato, broccoli

Wednesday activity - 2 hours of cricket training in the evening.

Thursday food
    Breakfast - super shake
    Post-run - banana
    Lunch - chicken breast on two slices wholemeal bread, light mayo; cashews
    Dinner - gnocchi & smoked trout with cream & courgette sauce
    Post-cricket - two slices wholemeal toast, nut butter

Thursday activity - run (see below), 2 hours of cricket training in the evening

Couch to 5K week 6 day 1
    5 min walk
    10 min run
    5 min walk
    10 min run
    5 min walk

Covered 2.15 miles in the run intervals at an average pace of 9:17 mins/mile.
    Mile splits: 8:57, 9:35

First mile was run during the first 10 minute run section, obviously. The second bridged the two run sections.

Average HR 177 bpm.

Felt OK during first run, much harder during second. Onwards!

#612 gazareth, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    phillydude likes this.
  13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Average HR 177 bpm!? :eek:

You train hard, sir. :bow:

gazareth and macdiver like this.
  14. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I know he does, but that's so variable from person to person. 177 BPM is my 3 hour tempo HR.

gazareth and macdiver like this.
  15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

This.

Average HR of 177 bpm in this session just shows me how unfit I am at the moment. My max is somewhere in the upper 190s. A year ago I could sustain mid-160s to 170 for 40-50 minutes at a steady pace. I'd only go into the upper 170s/180s if I was pushing it harder.

Friday food
    Breakfast - super shake
    Lunch* - chicken breast, sprouts; apple, cashews
    Afternoon* - protein shake, banana
    Dinner* - sea bass fillet, pancetta, mashed sweet potato, greens

Change of training schedule as my mum is coming for dinner tonight. Today is rest day, tomorrow I'll run, Sunday is cricket match (weather-permitting) or lifting (if no cricket).

Weight
    221.8 lbs

Yikes. Thar she blows. Still, at least it gives me an intermediate goal: lose 22 lbs to get under 200.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I see similar results when I don't run over the winter. My HR is 10 to 20 higher for the same pace when I restart. For me, I return to normal in a few weeks.

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

For comparison:
    10K May 2015 - 8:30 pace (ish), average HR 180
    5K March 2015 - 7:57 pace, average HR 180
    vs
    Yesterday - 9:13 pace for 2.1 miles with a walking break in the middle, average HR 177

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Saturday
    Diet good. Did my run - 2 x 10 min runs with a 3 min walking break. Averaged 10 mins/mile during the runs with an average HR of 166 bpm.

Sunday
    Diet good until about 1.30pm when I went to watch my rugby club in their cup final, thereafter it was all beer and the rest of the day was a drunken right-off. I didn't eat again until mid-afternoon Monday.

Monday
    I spent most of the morning being sick. When I felt well enough to eat, I ordered and ate a pizza. I had a normal dinner.

Tuesday
    Back to normal diet - good. No training.

Wednesday
    Diet good. Cricket training at lunchtime - just batting though so not very arduous. Did my run this evening - runs of 15 mins & 5 mins with a 3 min break in between. Average pace of 9:40 mins/mile during the runs with an average HR of 171bpm.

--

So something of a blip on Sunday/Monday, but otherwise diet is going OK. I'm not overly concerned about that as I drink so rarely - in fact that's probably why I ended up getting so drunk and then hungover. I need to up the training stakes next.

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Couch to 5K week 7 day 1
    20 mins continuous running
    2.09 miles @ 9:35 mins/mile
    Avg HR 178

20. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

When is the 5K?

Took me 14 weeks to gear up for mine. I have an instruction google sheets spreadsheet if you want.