1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

The first duck I just missed a straight one that swung a bit - I got a good ball and I missed it, it happens. The second duck I played a horrible shot and got caught, totally my fault. Ruined my day! :lol:

At the level I play at, the bowling is generally in the 40-70 range. 70mph would be considered fast - I've faced a bowling machine on 70 and I struggle to react quickly enough. 80mph would make me shit my pants.

edit: can you see this video? http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zy476fr 90mph is pretty terrifying

Our Saturday league games are 45 overs per side. We batted first and we had a strong-ish batting team that day so I was down at #8. The sixth wicket fell on the last ball of the 45th over so I didn't get to go in. Somehow I've ended up in our 3rd team as a bowler when I've always regarded myself a stronger batsman. I only bowled 4 overs that day and didn't get anyone out. I hate cricket :mad:

2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

We won last night by 12 runs - 145 for 7 played 133 for 9. We agreed with the opposition that batsmen should retire at 25 to make sure everyone got a game, but that if you retired you could come back at the end of the innings if necessary. I got 25 and retired :cool:

3. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

:tucool:

Any sixes? :spaz:

I wonder how difficult it is to bowl. Do both the leg AND arm have to be straight at delivery? I know the arm does, but can't recall if the leg does.

Watching now -- England need just 45 more to win with eight in hand!

(I sound so crickety! :dreamy:)

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Nope. 3 fours and a three which was almost a four. I'm not a big-hitter so I haven't hit many sixes in my entire playing "career" - less than ten certainly. Am playing again tomorrow (45 over league game) and Sunday (40 over friendly) so hopefully I will get some more runs/wickets!

I started bowling when I was young so I don't think about it, but it's quite funny watching adults who have never done it before trying for the first time. The arm has to be straight, the leg can be doing whatever you want provided the feet land behind/inside the correct lines.

Easy win in the end for England - I was pretty nervous earlier this morning when Australia were scoring freely and then when England started batting.

5. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Not sure if this is really accurate, but it seems like the spin bowlers give up more sixes than the pacers. The only six I saw over the last three days (maybe the only one?) was the shot by Root off Lyons on a sweeper.

(Look at me trying to use the terminology. I imagine it's as amusing as listening to a toddler talk about basketball.)

Ah, I see. I should totally take a ball about the same size and just give it a go -- see if I can even throw the dang thing with any control whatsoever with a straight arm. :lol:

Yeah, they got Cook and the second guy pretty quickly, it seemed, but Bell and Root really batted solidly (it seems to me). I got the impression winning a test by eight wickets in less than three days was a pretty solid win.

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Yeah that's definitely true in test cricket - the spinners bowl much slower so they are easier to hit. Fast bowlers get hit for sixes quite often in T20 but I have no idea of the %s or hit-rates of spin vs pace or anything like that.

--

Played Saturday (scored 5, lost) and Sunday (scored 38, took 1 wicket, lost). Have more games this week - Thursday, Saturday and potentially Sunday. Hope to go for a run later today.

7. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Does the US have an international cricket team? I'm guessing not.

(Man, the next time I'm in Columbus, I'm gonna have to see if I can find out how one participates in a pick-up cricket contest. Assuming such a thing exists.)

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

9. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Thanks, Mac!

I had to laugh, though, at the three news items that showed up under the team pic when I visited the link:

"Team USA Struggle Against Ireland"
    "Ahmed Spins Team USA To Victory"
    "Team USA Looking for Answers"

That doesn't exactly imply they're any good, does it? :lol:

10. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

nope. If they were good we might have known the US has a team. When I googled it, I wasn't sure if we had a national team.

11. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Okay -- I just pulled up the 4th test on WatchESPN. Holy cow. 60? Broad goes 8-15 in less than 10 overs? Are you kidding me? Even I understand how terrible that batting was! Or how spectacular the bowling was -- not sure, since I didn't see it, because it was OVER IN 90 MINUTES! Wowza.

This should be England's match to lose now, right? Or is the wicket/pitch/whatever they call it so bowler friendly that England isn't going to do any better?

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

The pitch is a pretty traditional English pitch... a bit of green on it and slow-ish. Australia are basically just terrible at batting on this type of pitch. If I can massively generalize for a moment...

Australian pitches are hard, fasty and bouncy, but don't produce much lateral movement. As a result, Australian batsmen tend to expect the ball to come on to the bat hard and tend to go at the ball with "hard hands" - the lack of lateral movement means that it's low risk. English batsmen often struggle in Australia because the ball bounces more and comes off the pitch faster than they are used to. This happened in 2013/14 when Mitchell Johnson ripped us apart.

English pitches tend to be slower, greener and offer lateral movement. In addition, the different brand of ball they use (Duke vs Kookaburra) and the often-cloudy conditions means that the ball swings a lot more in England than it does elsewhere. English batsmen tend to be more used to this so they are better at playing the ball late and with soft hands (so when the ball does take the edge, it's less likely to carry through to the wicket-keeper and slips). The more "Australian" technique is pretty much useless in these conditions because it just leads to edges and catching chances.

So in this match, we have a green pitch, an Australian batting line-up that isn't in good form anyway and Stuart Broad running in and bowling well. The ball nibbles around a bit, swings a bit, and England hold their catches in the slips. So in answer to your question, it's a combination of good bowling, bad batting and good catching. The conditions are not horrendous by any means and 60 all out is bad on any pitch. The problem Australia will have now is that even if they skittle England for less than 200, England will have a big lead. If England get 250, which in most instances is a poor first innings score, they will have the game as good as won. Australia have to knock England over for less than 130 or so and then score 250+ to have a chance.

P.S. This morning was the third fastest "all out" in test match history and the fastest ever in the first innings of the match (I think I have that right). And the fastest any bowler has taken five wickets in a test match.

13. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

That was just paragraph after paragraph of awesome. :dreamy:

I read that Broad's fiver was tied for fastest every (the other guy did it back in, like, 1948 or something). Everything you said makes perfect sense. I saw highlights of Broad's eight wickets, and nearly every one was an edge to the slips. He got the first two guys in the first over! Just astounding.

I almost wish England had batted first, put up 200+, then gotten Australia the same (60), so they could make 'em bat their second innings again straightaway. I haven't seen that yet. :love:

(I really missed this between tests. Would you say the Ashes is the Superbowl of test cricket?)

14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

For English and Australian fans, yes. I doubt the rest of the cricketing world cares as much, especially subcontinental Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh) where ODIs and T20 are way more popular than test cricket. In England the Ashes is as big as the Olympics, Ryder Cup and the British & Irish Lions rugby tours.

15. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

They got Cook, but Root's looking at a century. 250's not out of the question. I assume the sixth/seventh batters are still considered solid.

Now I want an English test cricket hat. :spaz:

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Ran 3 miles yesterday at ~10:00 pace. Was shooting for a bit further but I got pins and needles in both feet and had to stop. Hopefully that's just from not being used to pounding the pavement, or maybe because it's a bit warmer than usual...

Had a poor cricketing week last week. On Thursday, I played for a friend's work team - our team won but I didn't get to bat. I bowled OK and took 1 wicket from 3 overs. On Saturday, we lost our league match I was out for 2. In theory I have two games this week, one tomorrow for my "social" team and another league game on Saturday, but the weather forecast for the weekend isn't looking great right now.

Weight was about 204 last time I checked and waist ~38". I need to lock my diet in again - as soon as the cricket season is over I'm going back into cutting mode for the rest of the year. I have some goals to hit.

17. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Yikes -- what happened to England's boys in that fifth test? :surrender:

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I think they had just kinda mentally checked-out because they'd won the series and it was just a dead rubber. They played awfully though.

--

Since my last post:
    Mon 17th August - 2.7 miles @ 9:54
    Mon 24th - 3.0 miles @ 9:33
    Weds 26th - 3.1 miles @ 9:32
    Tues 1st Sept - 2.3 miles @ 9:20 ish, then 0.7 miles walking

Every single run has ended with me walking the last little bit home with pins & needles in my feet. It sucks. I've now got 5 1/2 weeks until the Oxford HM and I've basically got close-to-zero chance of being ready. I've already resolved to give it until next week but I'm not at all confident. I figure I need to be at 6-7 miles by the end of next week but I can barely get through 3 at the moment.

This is either some kind of weird bilateral nerve-impingement thing, or I just became de-conditioned to running from having time away from it in June/July. I haven't changed my shoes or socks so I don't think it could be either of those. In the hope that it's just de-conditioning, I'm going to cut down the distance and build back up slowly. Tomorrow, I'll run 1.5 miles, then 2 miles, 2.5 miles, etc and see if that helps.

Diet has been up-and-down, mostly down. I have put on weight, probably around 7-8 lbs since April, and I can feel it in my clothes. It's my birthday this week and then we're away for the weekend in Germany, so from next week I'm going to back to the way I was operating for the first few months of this year. I've enjoyed my summer but I don't want to waste all the hard work I put in last winter.

edit for volleyball:
    My cricket season is now over. I scored 17, 36 and 4 in my last three innings, and took 4 wickets across the two matches I bowled in. My season's record stands at:

Played 23, won 11, lost 11, drawn 1
    Batting - 21 innings, 271 runs @ average 14.26, best 48 not out
    Bowling - 85 overs, 22 wickets @ average 18.23, best 5-38

Batting average = runs divided by (total innings minus number of not outs), so basically shows mean number of runs scored per dismissal
    Bowling average = runs conceded divided by wickets taken, so basically shows mean number of runs conceded per wicket

This represents my most runs and wickets for a season ever (previous best 255 runs in 2010 and 20 wickets in 2007), but I have to qualify that by adding that I played more matches. My 255 runs in 2010 came from just 12 innings; my 20 wickets in 2007 came from 72 overs. Next year my goal will be 250 runs and 20 wickets in league cricket (this year I got 129 & 13 respectively), plus at least one half-century.

#598 gazareth, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  19. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

I caught a bit of the T20 match they played recently -- I liked those uniforms. :o Actually, I was impressed with Moeen Ali's batting -- who knew? He was always at the tail end of the order in Test, but that dude can rip!

(That American description of his fine batting was entirely unnecessary, I'll admit.)

Well, that sucks indeed, but here's hoping the slow build will let you get back in form. Has your cadence changed at all? I'm assuming not, since you didn't change shoes/socks. You have, though, been doing a lot of bowling -- maybe that run-up is messing with you. (That's a really wild stab in the dark, obviously -- hopefully, you figure it out.)

So, stupid question -- do Europeans visit other countries the way Americans visit other US states? Like it's no big deal?

(I feel very naive for even asking.)

:dreamy:

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I'm particularly impressed with the bowling -- that just seems difficult. That 5-38 was solid!

20. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Moeen Ali is actually a batsman who can bowl a bit, but for some reason England have identified him as a spin bowler for test cricket. For his club side, he usually bats in the top 3.

I don't think my cadence has changed, but you never know. It could be that bowling/inactivity has done stuff to my muscle alignment and stuff.

Pretty much. We have the right of free movement among other EU countries (plus some other countries that aren't in the EU but do have trade agreements). It's slightly trickier for us Brits because we're on an island so we have to take a ferry at the least - usually plane if you want to go further than France.

--

Just ran 1.5 miles @ 8:47. It felt hard, my lungs were burning and I had a bit of a stitch. I didn't have any pins and needles at the end though. My average HR was only 169 so I guess my "heart fitness" is OK, but I suspect my aerobic threshold has dropped. I may look to doing some Couch-to-5K-esque sessions with running/walking to build my capacity back up. I'd like to have a crack at some 5Ks again this year, so that'll mean more faster runs along with some slower ones up to 5-6 miles.