1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :tu:

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Moar WIN!

Way to go dude.

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

MONDAY 18TH NOVEMBER 2013 6pm @ home

A1 Military press - 2 x 5 x 57.5kg, 2 x 5 x 50kg
    A2 KB goblet squat - 4 x 8 x 20kg
    A3 Yoga plex - 3 x 5/side
    2 mins rest between sets

B1 Jungle Gym row - 4 x 10
    B2 Band-resisted push-ups with feet elevated - 4 x 10 with red band
    B3 Band Pallof press - 4 x 8/side with purple band
    90 secs rest between sets

C1 Half-kneeling band pull-down - 3 x 8/side with red+purple band
    C2 Band face pulls - 3 x 15 with purple band
    30 secs rest between sets

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weighed 217lbs today. Noice.

WEDNESDAY 20th NOVEMBER 5:30pm @ home

A Deadlift (conventional)
    Top sets - 2 x 140kg, 1 x 160, 1 x 180 (belt for top two singles)
    Going to start an 8-week DL cycle in 2 weeks, will use 180 as my 1RM. There's probably more there right now but not a huge amount and not without sacrificing form.

B1 Squats (high bar) - 3 x 3 x 85kg
    B2 T-spine mobs - 3 x 10
    Deload this week and I couldn't be bothered to get the GCB out. Easier to keep the core braced with a straight bar as you can pull down and activate the lats.

C1 Barbell reverse lunge (front squat grip) - 1 x 8/leg x 55kg, 2 x 8/leg x 50kg
    C2 Front plank - 3 x 45 secs

D1 Barbell bridge - 4 x 8 x 85kg
    D2 Reverse crunch - 4 x 10

Now to get some feeling back in my fingers - nearly got frostbite getting plates out and putting them away again.

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

THURSDAY 21st NOVEMBER 1pm @ home

A Band-resisted broad jumps - 8 x 3 with purple band

B1 Push-ups - 3 x 15
    B2 Band pull-throughs - 3 x 10 with two purple bands
    60 secs rest between circuits

C1 Jungle Gym rows - 4 x 8 - made big effort to not let shoulders internally rotate and to hold for half a second at top
    C2 JG split squats (bodyweight) - 4 x 10/side
    90 secs rest between circuits

D1 JG fall-outs - 3 x 8
    D2 Quad. ext.-rot. - 3 x 8/side
    60 secs rest between circuits

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I had a good weekend - but not in the sense of "Operation Get Sexy"! I went to London with some friends for a few days of doing blokey things - seeing stand-up comedy, eating meat, watching live rugby and go-karting. My diet throughout was poor - but I had already accepted some time ago that it would be thus, and decided to focus on being clean before and after. Often in the past I have used social events as an excuse to eat like crap for a few days before and then struggle to get back on the horse. So far though, I've been doing well - I ate very clean up until Friday lunchtime and have been spot-on again since Sunday evening.

Training is on hiatus for a few days as I have a bad cold which is making me cough a lot. I don't think being outside and breathing heavily is going to be good for me right now. I hope to do some lifting later this week - not sure if I will be good to play rugby this weekend or not.

Next week I am going to North Carolina for work and will be there all week. I am writing out what I am going to eat while I am there - the most challenging days will be the travel days (Mon & Fri), where I will be in the air for 8-9 hours and in airports for another few. I'm going to pack some protein powder, protein bars, jerky and a chicken sandwich (for the outbound journey). Once I'm landed, I guess I'll be eating out for lunch & dinner most days and will need to be aiming for places that will serve steak & veg, chicken breasts, etc. In terms of training, I'm planning to take my Jungle Gym and valslides and will do a circuit along these lines each day:

A1 JG push-ups - 10
    A2 JG rows - 10
    A3 JG split squat - 10/leg
    A4 Valslide hamstring curls - 8
    A5 Plank - 45 secs
    Repeat 4-5 times

That should keep me ticking over until I'm back.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My daughter is spending her third year of college studying abroad in Ireland and flew to London with a few friends on Friday. She goes back to school tomorrow. Funny if the two of you would have unknowingly passed each other.

Feel better soon!

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Plus ca change...

The above-mentioned NC trip pretty much marked the end of my good behaviour last year. Diet slowly backslid and I don't think I have weight trained since then either. It wasn't a huge deal as with all my rugby training I was doing enough exercise to keep the weight off, but since the end of the season (May) things have gotten worse again.

I'm now 236lbs, so I'm essentially back where I was around a year ago. Today I started the Velocity Diet. I'm going to do this properly including the two week transition, and hope to lose at least 20-25 lbs by Christmas. I need the strictness of the V-Diet to get me back into a structure and routine. I'll lift three times a week, likely alternating the below A/B workouts. I'm going to try going on some bike rides as well but will have to check how I get on energy-wise with the low cals/low carbs. We also got a dog in February so I'm usually out walking her 2-3 times a day for a total of an 45-60 minutes, so that's my "NEPA" sorted.

Workout A
    A1 Front squat 4x3-5
    A2 Inverted row 4x8-10
    B1 Fat Grip bench press 4x8-10
    B2 KB swing 4x10-15

Workout B
    A1 Trap bar deadlift 4x6
    A2 Push-up 4x15-20
    B1 Inverted row 4x8-10
    B2 Trap bar reverse lunge 4x8

9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Structure and routine are key for me. :nod:

Accountability is good, too! Good to see you back, gazbaby! :spaz: :dreamy:

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Good on ya, mate! And good to see ya!

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

'sup :dreamy:

--

Day 1 in the books. I've actually done this diet twice before, once in July 2010 and again in 2011. Both times I wasn't really able to cash in on the momentum: the first time was right before our wedding and the honeymoon derailed me; the second was right before Christmas. I'm such a creature of habit and routine and it doesn't take much to knock me out of a groove. This happened last year too - I was going great and then a cold + work trip meant that I didn't/couldn't train for two weeks and then when I was well enough and home again I just didn't get going again. I'm optimistic that this time I don't have anything immediately obvious on the horizon to cause issues; I should get a good run right up til Christmas.

Day 1 was pretty easy. I had a few cravings for specific foods, but I think I will get this for a few days as I de-condition myself to (for example) eating toast at 5pm and a banana mid-morning. The shakes themselves are palatable but I have had a hard time finishing most of them.

I originally intended to lift yesterday but my dextrose hadn't shown up yet for my PWO drink. That came this morning so I'll get out in the back garden and move some iron around later today.

12. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you planning to compete in powerlifting again at any point, or will rugby be your main sport (and if so, when is the "season" for that)? Reason I ask... it sounds like having a specific goal/date to achieve a specific result (i.e. honeymoon, holiday) is helpful to maintain motivation for you. ("first time was right before our wedding and the honeymoon derailed me; the second was right before Christmas')

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

No immediate plans for powerlifting... my joints are too beat-up from previous efforts. I'm having a break for rugby at the moment and hope to return later in the season (no specific time in mind). I'm just fed-up with being fat so my goal is to not be fat anymore :)

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    That's not a goal... that's a vision. A powerful vision, and an achievable one, but it needs parameters. How "not fat" do you want to be, and how soon do you want to be "not fat"?

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Long term I want to be around 90kg / 195lbs ish and then go from there. By end of January would be good. Right now I'm just taking it one day at a time.

--

Onto day 4 and the shakes are going down easily. I'm not feeling particularly hungry at any point, but I still get food cravings. Part of the reason I chose to do this diet is that I wanted to re-condition myself to recognize when I am hungry vs. just wanting to eat something.

The only downside is that I haven't done any lifting yet. As mentioned before, I put off Monday because I didn't have my PWO drink, then Tuesday and Wednesday I had a splitting headache all afternoon (presumably adjusting to low carb) and I bailed. I'm travelling this evening for a working weekend, so I will have to get in a workout or two while I'm away, then get on the horse properly next week.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Welcome back.

Hope the velocity diet works for you and gets you moving in the right direction.

As you are well aware, diet is more important than exercise for weight control. Hopefully you'll start lifting soon though.

:gl:

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

True this. However, no lifting on such a low carb diet is going to mean catabolism :scared:

--

Lifted this evening! I'm in Manchester (second biggest city in England, up north) for a long weekend for a PHP conference ( :cool: ), so I paid for a day pass at a 24/7 basic gym a short walk from my hotel.

PureGym, Manchester

Back squats
    5 x 60kg, 80kg, 90kg
    3 x 5 x 100kg

DB bench press
    3 x 8 x 24kg

Pull throughs
    3 x 10 x something

TRX inverted rows
    3 x 8

I didn't bring any dextrose with me up north so I Macgyver'd a PWO drink out of a bottle of Lucozade and a scoop of protein powder (consumed separately, of course). Unfortunately, I was so gassed from my first intense exercise in ages that I threw it all up after I had showered. On the walk back to the hotel I passed a supermarket and picked up some chocolate milk which was pretty close to the target macros for the PWO drink (I figured I hadn't digested any of the first one so tried again!).

Shakes are going fine. Slightly tricky logistically with the travel and spending the day in workshops but I've managed fine. The hardest part was sitting in the lunchroom while everyone else tucked into the nice (and healthy) looking free food on offer. The smells were pretty good too! It was also pretty hard to walk to the gym - I seemed to walk past every burger and steak place in central Manchester :)

Tomorrow is my weekly HSM (Healthy Solid Meal). I've booked myself a table for one at Gaucho, a high-end Argentinean-style steakhouse. I can't wait :eat:

#57 gazareth, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Madchester! Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Farm... so many good times came from that music scene... if you see Oakey, say hello for me!

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Didn't see any of those folks :(

--

Week 1 in the books.

The good: I did all of my shakes as prescribed, plus had one solid meal on Saturday. It wasn't too difficult.

The bad: I only trained once. My solid meal was probably not as perfect as it could have been in terms of being healthy (as it's supposed to be), but it was nowhere near a full-blown cheat meal.

I did a weigh-in this morning. I've lost a lot of water this past week!
    Sunday 28th October (day 0): 236lbs
    Monday 6th October (day 8): 228lbs (-8lbs in 8 days)

I'm going to join a gym about 10 mins walk from my house. Training in a gym on Friday made me realize that I miss the convenience of having the equipment already set-up instead of having to get stuff out of the shed and fudge something together on the decking. This way, I can have the option of training in the gym or doing something at home.

20. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

One more shake and then I'm 12 days down. I did my second training session today. Averaging one per week, heh. Need to do more.

In the garden

Trap bar DL - high handles, no belt
    Worked up to 4 x 5 x 135kg

Jungle Gym rows 3 x 8
    superset with half-kneeling overhead KB press 3 x 6/arm x 16kg

KB swings 3 x 10 x 16kg