1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad you got back to your pre-tour metrics so quickly. Now get rid of that cold and you'll be good to go.

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I know well that Necessary Run after a debaucherous weekend. It might not go well during, but always makes me feel better after, like the run just pushes all the damage from the body.

Jaer
    hopes you get to 100% soon.

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 196.8 lbs

I was feeling 10x better yesterday, and I feel another 10x better today. I'm still not 100% - quite congested and a bit of a cough, but I should be fine for the run on Sunday. Tomorrow morning I'm going to do a near-race-pace 2 mile run, then that will be it until 10am Sunday.

Meanwhile, today is rest day.

4. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Weight is down. Running is in gear. All systems are go for the race.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I didn't weigh-in today.

Training run - race pace
    2.02 miles in 16:31 (8:11 mins/mile)

Splits: 8:08, 8:13

Avg HR 176, max 186

That's my final run before the Oxford Town & Gown 10K on Sunday. My aim is to go sub-52 minutes, which would require a pace of 8:22 or faster for 6.2 miles. I think I can do it, but it's going to hurt. :nod:

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good luck Gazareth on the coming 10K.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Oxford Town & Gown 10K 2015
    Chip time 53:58

Mile splits:
    8:21
    8:35
    8:30
    8:40
    9:08
    9:11

Avg HR 180, max HR 202 (!)

So, a 10K PB (eight years on from my last one, and I've taken 39 seconds off my time), but I missed my goal by two minutes. I started well and felt great for the first 5-6km, even though I knew I was off the pace by about 20 seconds at the half-way point. I really started to tank around 6-7km and the whole stretch from 7-9.5km was pretty painful and slow. I found a burst of energy to run the last 600m pretty hard, including a flat-out sprint finish - I'm glad I did this and managed to get sub-54 at least.

I'm disappointed to miss my goal but still fairly pleased given that I've been ill this week. On reflection, I think I needed to spend more time doing tempo training - the furthest I've run at my target pace is 5K (all my quicker ~4 mile runs were slightly slower than target), so that's something to work on for next time.

[​IMG]

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

That is a great time. It us something to be proud of.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Blimey! Thems some good times, mate. Well done and cheerio!

Jaer
    decided to try to speak to Gaz in his native tongue...but it probably makes him look like a right plonker.

10. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Dead sexy pose, and great time! :dreamy:

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I haven't really done any exercise since the 10k :o My cold came back with a vengeance after the race, so I took the week off to recover. We then went on holiday last week to the Lake District - I took running shoes, kettlebells and Jungle Gym with me, but didn't do any exercise. We did walk about 30 miles across the whole week with around 2,000 feet of elevation though. Here's one of the beautiful places we walked:

[​IMG]

Since we got home, I have continued to fail to do any exercise. We are off to NYC tomorrow - two-and-a-half days of tourism before two days of conferencing - so I think I have reverted to my old "there's-no-point-as-I'm-going-away" habits! I will take my running shoes and will try to get in a run or two.

From next week I'm going to start a 5 or 6 week 5K plan before switching to half marathon training in mid-July. That should give me about 3 months to ramp up to 13.1 miles.

Meanwhile, diet has also been less than stellar - I ate heartily on holiday (although it could have been far worse) and also drank alcohol every day (in small quantities) - and has been for about 2-3 weeks. I will get that back on track next week - I need to get back on course for my waist-size goal. We are on holiday again in early July but I should be able to get in a good 5 weeks of solid progress before that.

My cold is still lingering - I'm full of phlegm and am constantly having to try to cough to expel it from my throat. It's really annoying. I think it was as good as gone and then the race day just suppressed my immune system and let it spring back into action.

Hope everyone is well!

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Run in Central Park - 3 miles in 28:22 (9:24 pace). Humid as balls. Not used to hilly sections. Haven't run in two and a half weeks. But quietly pleased with this. I started at the 77th St entrance by the AMNH, went anti-clockwise round The Lake, up past the reservoir, cut back across south of North Meadow and back down to 85th. Fun.

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 200 ish

Had a great time in NYC, but ate way too much. Somehow, I only put on about 3 lbs over the last few weeks - hopefully the food intake was mitigated by the amount of walking we did in the Lakes and in NYC. Today was my first exercise since my run in Central Park (besides a leisurely cricket match this week). Diet has been about 80-90% back to where it needs to be - I'll tighten that last 10-20% this week and get back on the weight loss trail. I have 4 weeks until my next trip, when we go on holiday for a week again!

I'm planning on slipping into the following routine:
    Mon - run (slow/long)
    Tue - bike (optional)/off
    Wed - run (steady/medium)
    Thu - lift
    Fri - off
    Sat - run (fast/short)
    Sun - lift

I've got 18 weeks until the half marathon so I'll start my runs at about 4/2.5/2 miles and gradually build up until I'm around the 10-12 mile mark on the long runs.

Training run
    2.5 miles in 22:52 (8:56 mins/mile)
    Avg HR 170

#553 gazareth, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 201.8 lbs

Training run
    4.1 miles in 41:59 (10:06 pace)
    Avg HR 163

Slow & steady :tu:

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 199.8

Taking inspiration from macdiver, I'm going to grade my diet every day for quantity and quality. Each will be graded out of 3:

Quality
    1 = poor/awful
    2 = mostly good, some poor choices
    3 = good

Quantity
    I will add a + or - to the grade to indicate if I was over or under
    1 = significantly underate/overate
    2 = slightly underate/overate
    3 = about right

Monday
    Quality: 2 (ate too many protein bars, not enough fruit/veg)
    Quantity: 3

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 199.2
    Waist 37.5" ish

Tuesday
    Quality: 3
    Quantity: 2+

Training run (Weds)
    2.5 miles in 23:17 (9:07 pace)
    Avg HR 166

#556 gazareth, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I like the point system you developed. It might get stolen.

Glad you enjoyed NYC.

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Point system didn't last long :whistle:

Diet last week ended up being 5 or 6 out of 10 I'd say. Today has been another 6. Weight is down though to 198.2.

Last week's exercise was:
    Monday - 4 mile run
    Tuesday - cricket training
    Wednesday - 2.5 mile run
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - cricket match
    Sunday - cricket match

I've just been for another run.

Training run
    5 miles in 52:27 (10:20 pace)
    Avg HR 162

Easy enough but I was quite stiff below the knees having played cricket at the weekend. I did more bowling than I am used to yesterday so I'm a little tight from that.

This week's goal has to be to get in at least one lifting session. I will be going to cricket training tomorrow and expect to be playing on Saturday, so lifting will likely happen on Thursday, with runs on Wednesday and Friday.

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training run (Friday)
    3 miles in 26:33 (8:50 mins/mile)
    Avg HR 172

I went to cricket training last Tuesday, ran on Friday (see above), played a cricket match on Saturday, and did nothing on the other days (including yesterday). Yesterday I was planning to run but work got in the way of my usual time slot, and then I had to go grocery shopping.

Diet was poor last week but I'm getting back under control this week. I want to get two good weeks under my belt before we go on holiday on 3rd July.

Weight this morning was 198.2, so holding around a good maintenance level.

20. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training run (Wednesday)
    3.8 miles at 10:28 pace
    Avg HR 154

Very pleased with my average HR here. I'm deliberately going at a slower pace on my long(er) runs to build that aerobic base. I'm going to build up towards HM distance by mid-September and then taper down again. My shins and calves were very tight from cricket training the day before and I was quite sore for 10-15 minutes after the run. More ankle mobility work required.