1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

gazareth's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I have a Marin 29er. It's black and red :nod:

2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 196.8 lbs
    Waist 36.75"

New lows.

I will run 6 miles today. Meanwhile I'm excitedly planning my route for a MTB ride tomorrow.

3. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Boom. :dance:

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training run
    5.8 miles in 56:27 (9:36 mins/mile)

First mile in 9:16, second in 9:30, all subsequent between 9:40 and 9:50.

Avg HR 169 bpm, max 180

Nice and steady, felt pretty comfortable and could have done another mile or two without too much fuss I think. Average heart rate coming down nicely.

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 197.2 lbs

Waist maybe a smidge down today, although it's hard to be consistently accurate with the Myotape, especially when one has squidgy love-handles for the tape to sink into :)

We had a food planning brain-fart yesterday and failed to get anything out of the freezer by dinnertime, so we ordered a pizza instead :blank: Still, thanks to Domino's nutritional information, I know that I ate 1,100 calories of pizza, and thanks to my Garmin I know that I burned only a little less on my run. All of which means that without the run or the pizza, I would have eaten 1,800 calories yesterday - 200 less than my usual target for a rest day. So all in all, no harm done - better not make a habit out of it though!

Today I've lined up a 15 mile MTB ride.

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

MTB ride
    16.5 miles in 1:25:01 moving time (11.7mph avg)
    Avg HR 154, max 179

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Weight 196.8 lbs
    Waist 36.75"

Tonight is the rugby club annual dinner-dance: a three-course meal and a major booze-up. This weekend's nutrition is going to depend largely on the severity of my hangover. I have planned in a rest day for tomorrow, but I will need to run on Sunday. Let's hope I don't have a two-day hangover (this has happened before...). Wednesday will be my last weigh-in before rugby tour, which starts Thursday. It's fair to say that the next 11 days will not be great for my liver!

I forgot to note this last week, but I've entered the Oxford Half Marathon :scared: It's on the 11th October, so I've got a while to prepare. My aim will be to break 2 hours, which would require a pace of 9:09 mins/mile on average. That should be achievable with consistent training - I've run 7 miles at a marginally faster pace already, and I've got more than six months.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing you well with your half mary training. Given what you're presently doing and the time until the event you're going to be fine.

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    We should make this a JSF Running Club event. :nod:

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training run
    3.86 miles in 33:11 (8:34 mins/mile)

Splits: 8:21, 8:42, 8:40
    Last 0.86 @ 8:36 pace

Avg HR 170, max 179

This was supposed to be 4 miles @ tempo (8:20). I didn't have any clean undershorts today so I ran in boxers + running shorts - this proved to be a mistake as I got some bad chafing from around 1.6 miles. I'm pretty sure I could have gone faster if I wasn't in such discomfort! I was able to focus on good form throughout - I was trying to stay upright, chest proud and head not leaning forward, with a relaxed stride pattern.

One more long run on Wednesday, then I'll do a mini-taper - the 10K is in two weeks today.

11. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:

[​IMG]

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Training run - last long run before Town & Gown 10K
    6.5 miles in 1:01:06 (9:23 mins/mile)

Avg HR 172, max 184

Got the miles in but it felt a bit sloppy. I was really tired by the end and had to talk myself out of stopping at the 6 mile mark.

--

Weight today 197.6 - was 197.0 yesterday. My diet was poorinconsistent at the weekend from Friday's dinner-dance until Sunday evening. Both Saturday & Sunday were mostly clean but with a few too many sweet items thrown in to the mix. Things have been better the last few days but I think mentally I checked out a bit at the weekend, knowing I was going away tomorrow. So overall the last few days I've been around maintenance calories with more carbs than I would normally eat, but foods have been 95% clean. Still, weight is less than a pound above my low weight, so I'm doing OK.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to Bucharest for rugby tour: three days of drinking, fast food and possibly some rugby. Let's hope I don't undo all my training...

edit: I've missed my last few lifting sessions :o I'll get back on that horse after the 10K.

13. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Have a nice weekend Gazareth, and do that rugby thing all you unAmericans do. LOL

14. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Enjoy Rugby tour dude!

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I am a broken man.

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

So, unfortunately a weekend of boozing (including a particularly bad Saturday night) and awful nutrition killed my immune system*, and I now have a heavy cold. I haven't got out to run yet, but I'm hoping to do a short run tomorrow if I feel up to it. I had a similar cold over Christmas/New Year and it took about 10 days for it to clear, so right now I'm feeling pretty nervous about being fit to run on Sunday. If I'm not up to it, I won't run - I don't see the point in doing it if I'm not going to be at my best.

Meanwhile, diet is back on point. I weighed over 200 lbs yesterday with a waist of 37.5" :eek: Some major bloat there. Weight is at least back under 199.8 today. Hopefully I can shed some more before the weekend or I'll be carrying some unwanted ballast in the race.

*Je ne regrette rien :nope:

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

It should come off as fast as you put it on.

Hope you feel better soon

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Both key metrics back to pre-tour levels this morning: 197.0 lbs and 36.75" respectively :tu:

I feel better today, but still a way from 100%. My head feels a bit stuffy and I've got a bit of a cough.

Post-rugby tour, peri-manflu recovery run
    2.55 miles in 24:28 (9:35 mins/mile)

Avg HR 168, max 177

Tried to keep it easy and relaxed but it was still a little hard. I couldn't have run much faster, that's for sure. But still, after a week off and a weekend of the worst possible diet/drink, this was a necessary run. With the 10K on Sunday, I'm trying to decide whether I should leave it there for training or fit in a faster 2 mile run tomorrow or Friday.

19. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Just goes to show fun can be had and gains can still be maintained! Good stuff :tucool:

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

[emoji106]