1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gatorade?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Ashman, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Ashman

Ashman Well-Known Member

I usually drink a small glass of gatorade (less than 8oz) right after my workouts (lifting & cardio) along with additional glasses of water and a protein shake.

Is it beneficial to do this or would I be better off just sticking to the water & protein shakes?

2. haven97

haven97 Well-Known Member

It might be beneficial if you add creatine with the gatorade.

3. Ashman

Ashman Well-Known Member

Actually, I've been adding glutamine to the Gatorade.

I used to take creatine years ago, although I'd really like to stay away from it now. A friend of my girlfriend died a few years ago and his death was attributed to creatine use. He was in good physical health at the time. I'm still sceptical of this being the actual cause of his death tho. I know there are a lot of studies that say it's safe but I'm not so sure I want to risk it. :rolleyes:

4. Ranger17

Ranger17 Well-Known Member

Creatine alone shouldn't cause a death...strange :confused:

Gatorade has electrolytes and potassium..which are good, also has sugars....which can be bad.
    8oz isn't a whole lot, should be fine
    J

5. Sole

Sole Well-Known Member

I belive gatorade after a workout is quite beneficial..

If you mix in your protein shake post workout, it helps in the absorption of the protein because Gatorade contains dextrose

Dextrose is a high GI carb. You need a high GI carb after you work out as your body needs an energy source first, rebuilding muscle is less a priority. If you immediately ingest whey after working out w/o carbs, your liver will metabolize the whey as the energy source. If you have some simple carbs, you can be assured that the whey will be used for muscle repair.

Any opinions?

6. NME

NME Well-Known Member

...particularly since Creatine is found naturally in the body's muscle tissue and is created by the liver, pancreas and kidneys at a rate of about 1 gram a day.

7. Ashman

Ashman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

As for the whole creatine thing, I don't really know all the info surrounding this unfortunate incident. For all I know he could have been using way too much. It just makes me think long and hard about it using it again.