1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining Weight...!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by x-sarah-x, Apr 10, 2006.

1. x-sarah-x

x-sarah-x Active Member

Hiya,
    I am 16 years old and weigh approx 100lbs with a height of 5.6ft (1.675m), i have always been very thin but have now decided that i want to gain weight. I play alot of sports mainly football and netball (at least an hour every day) so this makes gaining weight even harder. I know for a fact that my diet does not consist of the right food types in order for me to gain weight and perform at a better level in the sports that i do.
    For example:
    breakfast- toast with butter and orange juice
    snack- chocolate bar
    lunch- sandwich with marmite, packet of crisps, banana and a chocolate bar
    Dinner- chicken, potatoes, carrots and swede with gravy
    snack- an apple
    ...Just wondered whether any one had any advice for me, it would be most appreciated!
    :tu:

2. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Try reading the bulking sticky, very useful.......

Basically eat more than your BMR, at a sensible ratio of around 40/40/20 PCF............

Eat well and lift weights, that seems to be the best thing to do.....

Again, read that sticky.. but Im sure more experienced guys will pop in and give you more advice.......

3. x-sarah-x

x-sarah-x Active Member

Cheers...

Just going to have a read
    :)

4. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed about the sample diet that you posted was that there was very little in the way of good fats. One of the easiest ways to add calories to any diets is through good fats. Peanut butter and almonds are my two personal favorites..other nuts are great as well..maybe instead of that chocolate bar you could add in some almonds or some peanut butter.

Keep in mind that it is likely you are burning alot of calories through cardiovascular work (sports). I would suggest that complex carbs such as oatmeal, rice, or even pasta at your age would be a good way to add in extra calories.

Keep us posted!

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree with all of this. To add calories to a diet, it's good to eat things with lots of good fats, or things with a very low water content. Other good fats are ground flax seed and fatty fish (salmon), Calorie dense foods are dried fruits (raisins, apricots) and beef jerky.