1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

gaining weight when you get older-

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Determinator, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Determinator

Determinator Active Member

If you look at pretty much every actor, like Jack Nicholson, DeNiro, Tom Hanks, John Travolta, they all gained weight and became large when they got into middle age, but when they were young they were very trim and athletic.

I know it is hard to lose weight when you are older because the metabolism slows down, however it can't be impossible. Is there any way to lift this curse? For example if those actors I mentioned were to diet and exercise harder, would they look like their old selves? One of my goals when I become in shape, is to stay that way my whole life, and not become like them.

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I highlighted one of the important words here. Lift and do other things to maintain bone, muscle, and hormones. Eat healthy. Just generally take care of yourself.

Basically don't let yourself go.

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

There are only a few like Clint Eastwood (78) that lives the clean life. But he also has the genes, his mother died at 97 and was very mobile at 95. :tucool:

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

FatAndSad........yes...if they were to exercise and eat right they'd look a lot trimmer and healthier. But when you're making the kind of money they do and going to all the social engagements of same...well....combine that with their often lop-sided schedules and what-not and it's easy to let things go.

As far as they are concerned lipo-suction and plastic surgery is quicker than working out for months. However when a certain role calls for them to look trim and fit , they will make a bee-line for the most gifted of trainer's in Hollywood and spend a few weeks getting in shape for the picture.

The trainer will always be someone who is world famous to insiders of the industry but in most cases you will never have heard of them,until they make an "I Train The Hollywood Stars" video.

Truth is....if you do nothing in the way of exercise from now until the day you expire...you will no doubt end up looking like them, regardless of whether you make a six-figure income or not.

Some people are born thin and stay thin...but for every one of them there is ten that don't.

By the way.....it is no harder losing weight when you're older then it is at any other time of your life really....

Don't just say "I want to lose weight"....anybody can lose weight at first.

Say " I want to change the causes I find are diminishing my self-esteem".

This could be lack of exercise....or it could be not how much you eat but WHAT you eat. Weight gain could also be caused by what you're NOT eating. There are also psychological and emotinal reasons that drive people to over-eat.

Exercising alone without giving thought to any other factor is the same as having your house infested with cockroaches. You say "Well I'm killing 500 cockroaches every Monday, Wednesday and Friday...but there's just as many as before!..."

In other words you are not dealing with the cause...you are dealing with the symptoms.

5. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

Up until just over a year ago my grandad was windsurfing regularly. He's 84 now, and this was after one hip operation where he was told not to do sports like windsurfing anymore. His other hip developed problems and earlier this year he had to have that replaced as well. He hasn't windsurfed yet but he hasn't ruled it out. However, he's pretty damn fit and a couple weeks ago chopped down a tree in the garden.

The secret? An active life, and in retirement remains very active as he loves carpentry as a hobby and keeps busy. Healthy eating but nothing strict. Lots of vegetables and meat and yes dessert. Now, he does have a belly and definitely is not as trim as he was back in the day, but it is regarded as healthy to have a higher % fat as you get older. I certainly wouldn't advise to him that he needed to shed pounds.

Although I think you're thinking about the actors in their 40s and 50s, not 80s. That's a different matter and you can definitely be rock solid muscle at that age. There are plenty of people on this board even who are fitter and stronger than a lot of 'athletic' looking 20 year olds. Some of them probably didn't even start training until their 40s, so it's not like they just maintained good bodies from their 20s, they acheived them in their older years after they had already let themselves go.

6. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Just wanted to mention something about metabolism going down. There are many changes occurring with age, but a recent study (lost it, but it's on NIH) showed that the only difference between the metabolism of someone young and someone old is a reduction in muscle mass. I don't remember the exact age groups but it was done on highly active individuals in various ranges from the 30s into the 70s. If activity and muscle mass remained constant, there was no discernible difference in metabolism regardless of age. Metabolism does go down with age, but only because people choose to slow down and not maintain their mass which will atrophy gradually from 35 on.

Basically a pound of old muscle burns at the same rate as a pound of young muscle. Excluding other activity, that calorie burn is what counts as your normal metabolism (the need to main activity levels is yet another issue in aging but was already mentioned).

In short, metabolism isn't a function of aging. It's a function of slowing down which is a decision. It's a very positive thing to remember and motivating to know you don't have to conform to the statistic or what you see happening to others. I think maybe those actors just made the wrong decisions? ;)

7. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Good habits. If you have them they'll carry you no matter your age. Need a snack? Some will reach for an apple others will reach for a slice of pie.