1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining weight vs Slow Metabolism and Body Style

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by the_guy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. the_guy

the_guy Active Member

Hi all!

I hope this topic will serve to clarify not only myself but for others who have the same questions.

Well, I am 19 years old and a Sport enthusiast. My entire live I've played sport but for some time now I just have no time for doing so.

I'm currently studying Business, working on a company as an intern and doing a intensiv language course so there is just no room left for doing sports in may day.

Now my problem is...

I am (as almost my entire family is) a very skinny guy. It is very difficult for me to gain weight because of my genetics. I am really worried at the moment because as I do not do any sports for over 1 year I do not have the same energy and most important I am losing weight!

At the moment I am 1,83m (6 feet) tall and weight only 58 kg (127 pounds). That makes me really insecure and worried about my health.

As I was doing some research I found some Ideal Weight calculators on the internet have indicated that ideal the ideal weight for my height and age should be between 65-80 kg (143-176 pounds).

Also, that for me to get at this weight I should eat everyday between 2800 and 3000 kcal.

I would like to know if that is in fact the amout of calories I need to achieve this weight and also if any of you have some tips on how to distribute my meals. I simply do not have the time to make 4 or 6 meals a day.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks a lot,
    Julian V. Guy

2. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Why not start there? Begin with 3000 calories per day, and if you don't gain any weight in a week, increase it until you do start gaining.

All the nutrition calculators are out there to provide a guide, not a hard and fast answer. No one can say "you will gain weight taking in x calories" - you are the best person to discover how many calories it takes, simply by adjusting your diet over a few weeks.