1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining weight, not losing

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by JDizzo, Jan 25, 2004.

1. JDizzo

JDizzo Well-Known Member

Greetings-

This post seems a bit out of place because my problem is the opposite of most of you on the site. I have always had problems gaining weight. I am 5'10' and in college my weight was anywhere from 120 - 132 lbs (depending on my beer consumption mostly, hehehe). I decided after college to do something drastic: move to Japan for the sole purpose of gaining weight. Sounds wierd, but I got a job teaching English during the day while I spent my nights in the gym and at home stuffing myself and drinking protein shakes. I have been in Japan for 3 1/2 months and I have gained 22 lbs. I found John's website a month ago and it gave me so much motivation, even though I came from the opposite end of the weight spectrum. I am currently 154 lbs. and gaining, though from my high calorie diet I am starting to develop some little love handles. I will need to lose them when I start my cutting phase, so any advice would be great. You fellows are doing awesome with your cutting, congratulations. :tucool: Sorry, the pictures are quite a bit different (and no flexing), but you don't need much of an imagination to see the gain.

Cheers,
    JD

Attached Files:

#1 JDizzo, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  2. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

Looks good so far, but like you said it's hard to tell w/o a better picture. For your cutting phase read some of John Stone's daily food logs during his cutting phase. You'll still have a high-protein diet (to maintain as much muscle as possible), but you'll restrict the overall calories. I have a fairly fast metabolism as well, and 2000 calories per day combined with good cardio everyday worked wonders. Try to do the cardio on an empty stomach or atleast a few hours after a meal. Your body will tend to extract its energy from fat stores when you do this. Hope this helps.

3. Stian

Stian Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, your t-shirt looks incredible good. What kind of exercise do you do? :p

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Even though it's hard to tell from the pictures you posted, you've definitely muscled up. I'd love to see some better shots. Keep packing it on, you're doing great!

5. Poetik Proze

Poetik Proze Well-Known Member

What does your diet consist of? Well, while your post is on gaining weight I would suggest a clean-bulking phase before doing any cutting. But you're looking great.

6. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

I do so hope that the young lady is a 'friend' of yours.

Andrew. :tu:

7. JDizzo

JDizzo Well-Known Member

I am currently working for NOVA, which is the biggest company for teaching English in Japan. It is alright, but if you come to Japan, I recommend that you come here for one thing and stick with it. It makes everything a lot easier on you.

Cheers,
    Jeff :)

8. JDizzo

JDizzo Well-Known Member

A few things...

1) Poetik Proze: My diet is pretty crazy here. I have 2-3 liters of milk each day (usually 2 whole and 1 skim) with my protein. I usually have a bento (meat and rice) or the occasion McDonald's for lunch and spaghetti or another bento for dinner, though I change it up a bit because I have really gotten sick of eating the same thing for the last 4 months ;) I usually get between 3000-4000 calories a day. That is probably too high and I am adding a little more fat then I would like around my mid-section, but I have limited time here so I want to pack on as much weight before I go home in April/May. I will probably gain until I am 170-175 lbs. or so then start cutting.

What is a clean-bulking phase? Do you mean lean-mass gain? There isn't much lean mean in Japan (and it is very expensive) so I have to maintain a high-fat diet if I want to gain.

2) Stian: My workout is currently this-

Saturday - Biceps/Triceps
    Sunday - Abs
    Monday - Back
    Tuesday - Abs
    Wednesday - Chest/Shoulders
    Thursday - Legs/Abs
    Friday - off

Every two months I change my splits around but I like the current ones. I will start doing cardio soon but I don't want to burn any more calories than I need to until it is time to cut.

3) Andrew M: The girl was a friend of mine who I went salsa dancing a bit with (she is Columbian), but alas, she prefered my 5'4" alcoholic roommate from Wisconsin. I still wonder about that one...

4) John: Here is a new pic, though the lighting isn't very good and i am kind of flexing. Current weight: 156 lbs.

Whew, that was a long post.

Cheers,
    Jeff :)

Attached Files:

9. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Dude, you are looking great! Keep up the hard work, you've really added some quality mass.