1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gain 20 Pounds With Carguy

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by carguy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

That's right, this guy needs to put on 20 pounds. This is the start of my bulk and I'm at 178# now and I'd like to get to 200# by Jan. 1. Anyone else who would like to bulk and could use an extra 20 pounds, please join in. I guess you could call it a challenge but we all win if we can gain some decent, clean muscle mass. Anybody else out there up for some big eating in the coming months? We can report our progress as we go along and hopefully see the numbers on the scale going up.

It's not necessary, but here are my starting pics. As always, I'm interested in bulking up my chest, arms and legs. The six pack can blurr and that's OK. I'll get it back later.

#1 carguy, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that we can start this on Sept. 1 to make it easier to keep track. And I'm open on the length. Maybe 4 months is too short. I'm going to get a %bf estimate to post for my starting stats.:eat::bb:

3. giuliano

giuliano Active Member

yup, if this starts on september, then I'm in :D

4. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

I'm bulking already, but count me in. I may need more time to get 20# clean onto my frame :) My current weight is 167lbs, as of 08/13/2007.

EDIT: I'll update this weekly.

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Good deal, giuliano and adrian. I think we'll pick up some more bulkers by Sept. 1. Together, we should be able to take ourselves to new heights (and weights).

6. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey good luck guys. I got some pounds for ya, but I don't think they're the kind you're interested in.

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey, GH. We could have a pretty good business together. You slim 'em down, and I fatten 'em back up.:lol:

8. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm in!

I actually resumed my long bulk a few weeks ago and I'm about 200 lb now, 9 lb up on my early July weight.

9. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

now if we can just come up with a clever name like shake'n bake. :confused: Or thick'n thin.

10. Rise

Rise Active Member

sign me up... i just posted in the other forums that i want to gain 10-15... 20 would be cool but i doubt i'll make it that far. also, i'm bulking until april, and i'm starting next week :)

11. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Cool beans, philph and Rise. By Sept. 1 we all need to list our starting weights and goals and then I anticipate this will just become a brotherhood of bulk where we can cheer each other on to eat more and more, even when we're tired of chewing so much. Amount of weight desired to gain and time frame is optional. I may take mine to February or March as well.:eat::bb::eat:

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

Since i started my bulking program yesterday, i'm going to start my entry here today. i'll edit it as much as i can remember but i don't think i'll be as strict on myself with it as i would for a 100 challenge (hope thats OK with you guys).

Starting stats:
    Weight: 143 lbs
    Waist: 34"
    Biceps: 12.25" (don't laugh)
    Height: 5'9

Nutrition:
    3000 cals/day
    50-25-25 split, for now
    6 meals/day

Goals: I'll set my weight gain goal to 160 lbs. This may or may not be possible for me, but there's only one way to find out. i am trying to accomplish this by april-ish so i will have enough time to cut for the summer. as everyone else probably is, i'm trying to gain mostly lean body mass so i will be eating as clean as i possibly can.

Updates:
    8/21/07 - today was day 2, i'm recovering from a tough first day workout and eating as much as i can. i need to find my food groove and i hope to work out the kinks in this first week. i'm always up for food suggestions :)
    8/27/07 - as of today, i'm in the groove of the bulk. i've been eating a lot, *mostly* clean, and i feel great, really i do. i'm lifting at my old maxes already, and by next week i'll be past them. this is awesome!
    8/31/07 - its been tough keeping my bulk "clean" but I think I'm doing pretty well. i'm eating a lot more than i ever have before and i kind of like it, but i often feel like stopping myself from eating more. of course there was that night when i was up until 2am thanks to stomach pains (i think i over did it a bit...). i've gained about 1.5lbs since i've started, and I feel like i'm getting stronger.
    9/3/07 - OK, i've strayed from the clean bulk this weekend. i went back home to NY to celebrate my birthday this weekend (its actually next weekend) and i splurged a bit... i've had a couple of bagels, some pizza, sushi, some of mom's cookin, and some other stuff that i might not have normally eaten. also, i had a crappy work out substitute that didn't involve breathing squats because i don't have any way of doing them here. i have stuck to eating a lot though, and i actually don't seem to have gained any "bad" weight, i can actually see a six pack now that i couldn't see a few days ago. odd, but hey, i'll take it! i'm going to have a kick ass workout on tuesday for sure.

Current Stats: (8/31)
    Weight: 144.5 lbs
    Waist: 34"
    Biceps: 12.25" (don't laugh)

#12 Rise, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  13. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I'm gonna join in with this. This'll be my first bulk (well, I kinda tried starting one a few weeks ago, it'll be a continuation of that) so I don't really know what to expect. If I could get to 14 stone (196 lbs) that would be cool. The timing works well for me as I am taking next week off so I'll be able to start this properly on the the 3rd. I'm gonna give myself up until the end of the year.

Is 14 lbs a good target for in 4 months? Too little, too much?

14. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Het Woodan, glad you're joining us. I think 14 pounds is very doable. Your starting weight and goal weight are very similar to mine. I hope we can all grow together. And this won't be as structured as the 100 Challenges. Just a place to report progress and encourage each other.:eat::bb::eat:

15. Rise

Rise Active Member

Get Pumped Up Guys!!!

Time For Dinner!!! :eat:

:eat: <-guaranteed to be the most used smiley in this thread.

16. emanphx

emanphx Active Member

Alright, so I'm starting three days earlier than September 1st, but hey, why wait, I'm impatient sometimes! :)

Plus, I just had my birthday two days ago and ate far too much ice cream cake, so I figured it'd give me a jump on my bulk, albeit definitely not very clean! But dammit, it was my birthday, and the only ice cream I've had for over 4 months, and oooooh boy was it good :)

Got everything for my SUP2 program, also using Cellmass as OK'd by SC (my first time using creatine). I'm actually going to be eating *less* now on SUP2 than I was when I was trying to bulk on my own (without much success), hopefully the timing of the meals and increase in protein through protein powder, as well as the creatine, will make all the difference. I used to snack on a lot of fruit and some peanuts during the day when I was hungry, but I'm going to strictly follow the program to see how it works.

Just how much food are you guys eating, what kinds of calories/protein/fat numbers, and what supplements?

I don't really have a goal of 20 pounds, I'm at 174 as of yesterday (after eating out for birthday, so I'm sure a lot of that is from the salt/water), but I'm almost at the heaviest I've ever been and boy do I look a *lot* different! Let's see what a good 10-15 pounds does for now :)

My goal is, and probably always will be, just to get rid of that final bi of fat around my mid-section and get my abs showing. I started a thread previously about whether I should try to cut some more or bulk, and *everyone* said to bulk and then cut to really get the results I'm looking for. Carguy was nice enough to send me his progress pics, and it worked for him, so I am optimistic, but still a bit leery of the whole bulking idea!

I've attached my original starting pics from December, 2006, as well as pics I just took this morning.

12/26/06:

[​IMG]

08/30/07:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

GL CG, I'm up to 195 atm, yeah I'm fat.:whistle:

18. canoscan

canoscan Well-Known Member

I'm in. I've been bulking for about a month so far.

19. Buster

Buster Active Member

This is definitely what I need! Back from holiday, dropped a few pounds and looking to get seriously beefcaked :eat: :jumping:

I'm at 5'9" and 150.5lbs at the moment. If I can get to 170lbs with the help of you guys, I'd be over the moon. I'm looking in particular to bulk up the chest and arms (weakest area). Here are a few pics taken today.

EDIT: Please ignore the wedgie.

Attached Files:

20. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Welcome, fellow bulkers! So far we have:

buster
    canoscan
    carguy
    denzalo
    dutch jerry
    emanphx
    guiliano
    philph
    rise
    user786
    virtualadrian
    woodan

There's still time to join.

For those of you who might be considering joining, please know that we don't all expect to gain 20 pounds of pure muscle. We're just a group of guys who recognize the need to bulk up some and we are here to encourage each other to reach our goals, whatever they may be.

I'd like to gain 20 pounds but I'd be happy with a beefier chest and arms. I'm a little intimidated to be starting at 178# since that is at the high end of the most I've ever weighed. But if I can beef up to close to 200# and then cut back to 185#, I think I will have the look I'm after. And having done this before, it's easier and more fun to do it with others in a similar situation.

#20 carguy, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007