1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

GAH! Food allergies

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Zilla, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

After a series of ER / doctors visits I decided to have myself food tested. I suspected I had a wheat allergy as it appeared that everytime I ate something with wheat in it, it would set my allergies and asthma off.

The problem isn't with wheat. I'm allergic to chicken, turkey and eggs. 3 staples of what was my diet for 2.5 years. :mad: I suppose I could still eat them if I felt like being on high doses of Pred the rest of my life. I'd rather not as I HATE Pred...

I'm not a fan of eating fish or the fact that it stinks up the house when cooked indoors. I'm also not a fan of eating lots of red meat as it feels like it just sits and rots in my stomach and pork isn't all that it's cracked up to be either.

I've tried going the Whey route and it didn't work well. The stuff rips my stomach apart, soy isn't much better.

Odds are somebody is going to come along and thump me over the head regarding my pickiness over protein sources, but I've been at a loss. I don't know what to do to get my diet back in check. I'm carrying around enough carb bloat for what feels like 4 people and I'm getting really tired of it.

Thoughts? Help! If you're going to thump me, make sure you give me useful advice first. :p

2. MrEd

MrEd Well-Known Member

I'm in the opposite boat as you -- I'm allergic to nuts, legumes, beans -- an due to crossover contamination -- many many fruits and vegetables. So my diet mostly consists of protein. Have you tried sushi? Assuming you aren't allergic to shellfish or fish, this could be a good alternative...plus it doesn't stink up the house.

Another couple of options for the house are scallops, mussels, squid, crab meat, and shrimp. You can get a pack of baby scallops at the grocery store for about $6 and the pack is good for 2-3 separate meals.

I know this is an older post, but i wanted to reply as i really can empathize. Because extreme allergies are so rare, most people don't know what to say when someone talks about them. Or worse,they react with disbelief. They can't understand how someone could be allergic to apples or celery or turkey or anything like that.

one thing i know for certain, allergies suck.

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I know. I'm like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole when it comes to food around here. It makes my nostrils flair when I read threads where people complain about having to eat chicken, again. :rolleyes: If only that were my worst problem. :lol:

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not allergic to any type of seafood. I can't say for sure as I'm not a fish eater for the very reason you mention which is that it stinks up the house. Even tuna out of a can smells weird to me so I don't eat that either.

It's been suggested to me on numerous occasions to try things like salmon, however, nobody has been able to tell me how to prepare it without the fishy smell going through the house. I suppose there would be some as it's just nature of the beast, but I haven't been daring or hungry enough to try it.

Most people look at me weird when I tell them that I'm allergic to turkey and chicken. I either get the look that says "You're full of crap" or a look of shock as they are weird things to be allergic to or so I've been told anyway. Either way, I have blood work results that shows that I'm not just making up a story, so the naysayers can think what they want.

In the meantime, I've been supplementing with a wheat isolate that has a sprinkle of soy letchin in it. I'd prefer if it didn't have soy in it at all, but there isn't much I can do about it.

My son and I are due for another round of food allergy testing soon. His food allergies are more like yours, so between the two of us, it makes going grocery shopping really interesting. It would make me happy if he came up being food allergy free. I on the other hand would settle for just being allowed to have egg whites. I don't care about not being able to have chicken or turkey, but I really miss scrambled egg whites in the morning.

4. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Have you tried tilapia? It has a very mild taste. The other thing is, if fish really has a very fishy smell then it's usually a bad sign.

There is so much you can do with fish and seafood. I've decided that I'm going to start eating a lot more fish in my diet because there are several species that are actually cheaper than chicken and turkey breast.

5. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Zilla - you and I seem to have a lot in common. I have Celiac (wheat, barely, and rye) and have additional intolerances to Cassein, soy and Legumes and allergic to Peanuts. Cross contamination rules out Oats and Oatmeal.

I would DIE if I had to cut out chicken and turkey! The best way to cook fish without smelling up the house is on the Grill :D White fish, like tilapia is a milder smell and the key to the non-fishy smell and taste is freshness. The fresher the fish, the less smell. Also, the leaves of a lime tree crushed up will take the fishy taste out, but not the smell.

I also use Hemp as a protien source. Hemp milk on my cereal and they make a hemp powder for shakes. You can use Hemp meal like you would flax meal. 3 tablespoons of hemp seed has 11g of protien.

And for the record - My sister in law is extremely allergic to Chicken and Turkey. Between her and me - my mom get so stressed out cooking for the family.

Kat.

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:confused: what about an outdoor grill? do you have access to one or a place to have one?? grilled salmon is fantastic and then you wouldn't have the indoor stench problem.

edit: i just noticed zcat suggested this! :doh:

#6 dejavued, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. MrEd

MrEd Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think salmon stinks up the kitchen too bad. If you use a flat grill indoors, it's not too bad, especially if you throw lemon juice on the fish or an orange down the garbage disposal. :)

Also, while there is no outgrowing the peanut allergy, there may be hope for you son if he is allergic to other things like chocolate, oranges, or milk..i outgrew a bunch of food allergies, unfortunately healthy things like nuts and their crossovers wasn't one of them. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't have the peanut problem, because its a major PITA.

8. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

the fresher the fish the less stink it has. White tuna smells less than light, but has more mercury issues. I have noticed a few vegan body builders.....I think that it's a pain in the ass to try that full time but for a few meals/snacks a day it's worth a try.

Shrimp are generally pretty cheap and not very smelly. Tilapia like one mentioned is great, cod, sole and trout are also pretty mild. I've also seen some interesting protein powders in health food stores made for a lot of different sources.

Personally I think if chicken, turkey and eggs are out, you don't have much of a choice to hit the water dwelling protein family :) I also didn't eat beef for 12 years, due to the price of chicken I've added it back in and although not my favorite I'm making due.