1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Full body workout questions - rtestes or anyone else

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by CHAPIN, Feb 21, 2005.

1. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

Oh noes!!!

I thought this were going to be posted as links not embedded pictures :whistle: . Would have resized more if I knew this was the case.

2. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Chris Mason may well be right; other weight training programs may be optimal, but I agree with rtestes. I think HIT will certainly allow you to reach your goals. I have had great success with maintaining lean body mass and losing fat during cutting with HIT. If you were bulking I'd consider moving away from HIT more strongly. Ask Chris what program he'd recommend. But I think it should ultimately come down to what you prefer. Either should allow you to reach your current goals.

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You got some good structure and foundation. I am going to say 14-15% but a good muscular 15% not the "skinny fat" type. A calorie cut should do the job. I think you have choice of fast or slow loss. I would see if 50% C, 25%F, 25%P at the 1800 calorie level would get it going, for next 6-10 weeks.

4. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

15% BF would be great, I always thought I was around 18-19%, Tanita says I'm 28% :rolleyes:

1800 calories is a less than what I'm currently taking in (2200 or so), I will reduce some.

Sorry to keep going on and on about my body but hey its the only one I got and I want it to look good for my 40th birthday (still 2 years away).

5. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I'm happy with my size at the moment, thats why I'm working on getting rid of some fat while trying to keep (even increase if just a bit) muscle mass and this is where I believe HIT fits in nicely.

I will defenitely bulk up again after I get to a respectable BF%, my goal is to be 235-240 lbs at 12%BF. I know BF% is not to ambitious (sp?) but I will be happy with that. When bulking I will give HIT a try too, of course a calorie surplus will make the workouts better (I think).

I'm anxiously looking foward to my workout tonight, this thread has built some good feeling about this whole thing for me.

6. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

Tonight I did my second HIT workout, it was good but too long.

I need to do something about this because it took me almost 1:30 hours to complete. Granted I did chat for a couple of minutes before I actually started but from then on it was straight work.

7. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

Not having a shot rtestes, just pointing out that HIT was done by both of these guys.
    Mentzer was a huge advocate of HIT and wrote a few good books on it.
    He was pushing HIT when the rest were doing 6 days a week 2 times a day type workouts.
    HIT makes sense to me and its the only way i train. :bb:

8. glenn_001

I guess that makes sense if you like to eat and like spending lots of time in the gym :d_wink:

9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

They do or did a variation of it. A varation I don't subscribe to, explosive movements, lack of form. I don't pick on them, just their style of applying the ideas of Arthur Jones. Glad to see you use HIT.

10. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

How many calories do you think that extra 15-20 minutes consumes? Much in the big picture?

11. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

I've never been able to find Yates routine, at least not online. I must suck at the internets!

HIT twice a day? 6 days a week? No thank you.

I'm sold on this type fo training, last night I even managed to convince my wife to give it a try. She has been in an uper/lower split for the longest time and she likes it but what I talked to her about HIT was enough to get her motivated to give it a go.

I'm not a competitive bodybuilder, don't have the time, age, genetics, interest, etc. so I think HIT makes complete sense, i believe it will get me where I want to go. Could someone build a competitive body with HIT? I don't know. I know very few competitive bodybuilders, most guys/gals at the gym are only looking for a sound fast way to build the best body they can in the shortest time possible.

I've been at this for 2 workouts and I'm already preaching LOL

12. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

check here for a short video of Yates. edit: They changed the way they played the video, it wouldn't work for me, good luck

My wife who is in my age bracket, and my 16 year old grandson work out using HIT. I admit it is harder to get my wife away from treadmill, but when we do she is great at it.

My grandson started at 115lb in august and now his weight is up to 142. I am going to get him to 172 by summer. While we got some on and off training during fall, it wasn't till January, I got him down to steady training.

We to preach it. It is a very effective means of training. It is not the only way, but it is a damn good one.

13. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

14. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links.

Yates workout is a LOT more volume than I would have thought.

"All from the first page of a google search."

Your internet is more powerful than mine!!! :D

One thing I noticed about the HIT workouts: My abs are really sore, I only did one set of abs each workout but I'm feeling DOMS as intense as those I feel whenever I specifically try to kill the abs. Good thing I'd say.

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You might be picking up the effect of compound exercises at play with heavy weights. But in case I didn't mention this, time to repeat it. in ab work, crunches and etc. SLOW down. Do 10 count in positive movement and 5 count in negative move. Slowly curl that body. That brings intensity to body weight exercises. Only add weight, when you can do a set of 12 on a slow count. focus on abs in your mind.

Vaccums: try to hold from 30-60 sec for 4 reps. You may not be able to hold in for that amount at start work up to it. Rest between reps as you increase time. If you haven't done vaccums, start lying down, master before you stand up. :whistle:

16. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Well-Known Member

I agree with that, I've been a member of different camps in the past couple of years. I've built some strenght and size and it was NOT using HIT.

After some years at this I have come to the conclusion that training each body part more frequently with less volume feels good to me and I believe will result in good gains.

17. glenn_001

I think ill skip the extra calories :D