1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Frying VS Baking VS Broiling

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by BaronVonAwesome, Feb 24, 2005.

1. BaronVonAwesome

BaronVonAwesome Well-Known Member

Today I fried a chicken breast with 2tbls of Olive Oil, and some powered garlic, and it was one of the most wonderful things I've ever eaten. I'm starting to think eating clean is going to taste better! However, whenever I look at recepies/food logs, I noticed that everyone normally broils their chicken, I wondered, does cooking it diffrent ways effect the enzymes/whatever diffrently? Are some was of cooking it better than others?

2. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

amg bro, easy on the olive oil. thats 240 cals, just as much cals in the oil as in the chicken breast. id go with 1 tbls ...

and no, frying is fine!

3. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

2 tablespoon? Wow, I think that's a bit too much bro, that's already 240 kcal, making it that much harder if you're trying to cut... I not hating any cooking method, but I usually prefer grilled or boiled. It's just I like to eat without adding extra calories. The only problem with frying is, it adds calories fast. A 250 kcal meal can simply turn into a 500 kcal meal, that's just because of the oil, you see? Just like you did bro ;) But deep frying is a definite no no... It creates a trans fat, a bad fat...:p

4. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

if you fry in 2 tbsp of olive oil the chicken won't soak it all up. For a rough estimate I'd say you might end up with one tbsp on the chicken and 1 tbsp in the pan. But yes, I agree with those who said use less. I use less.

I think many people broil their chicken breasts because they can cook a ton of them at once in a pan and you don't have to do any work. You still add oil anyway so it's not all that much different....

5. minilifter

minilifter Well-Known Member

Try buying some PAM type spray olive oil (or a pressure spray bottle from a kitchen appliance store) and just give your chicken breast a quick spitz on each side, you use much less oil but still get all the flavor.

6. in|sane

in|sane Well-Known Member

Could anyone explain the term "deep frying". I mean, one need to fry the chicken so its not red, no ?

7. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

deep frying is when you drop your food into a pot of boiling oil. Like McDonalds Frenchfries etc etc.

8. in|sane

in|sane Well-Known Member

Ahh ok, thanks.

9. Dead-head

Dead-head Well-Known Member

Eating healthier must be sinking in. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about a boiling tub of oil. I guess I just figured out how to kill my french-fry cravings.

10. BaronVonAwesome

BaronVonAwesome Well-Known Member

I swear I read 2tbls somewhere :o , I'm happy I made this thread then!
    Also I'm glad I can still fry it, also, I never thought about broiling more a bunch at once, thats just as good as an idea.

11. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Deep frying does not create trans fat. Trans fat is created by bubbling hydrogen gas through vegetable oil, resulting in partial hydrogenation.
    Most commercial deep fryers use a partially hydrogenated oil because it has better stability (can be used longer).

If you were to do your own deep-frying at home, you can choose to use a non-hydrogenated oil (no trans fat). If you ensure that the oil is maintained at the correct temprature, the amount of oil absorbed by the food is barely more thatn what is absorbed when pan-frying with oil. (Thank you Alton Brown ;) )

12. minilifter

minilifter Well-Known Member

The only "chef" worth listening too (teach a man to fish and all)

Sorry for the hijack

13. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

Ah, yes... sorry for my misconseption. But anyway you're right, if you're just looking for a better lifestyle, the n no cooking method should be a problem. But on the other hand, if your cutting, then I think using lesser oil is better. Saves some calories there...