1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

2. mastover

Better health in general. Fruits and greens veggies have phytonutrients, and are rich in vitamins and minerals. They carb up the body through different vehicles than starches. Starches tend to be processed (higher GI) to some degree, are inflammatory (higher cholesterol), and are generally an inferior food source (cheap). Starches do have they're place in a good clean diet, mostly in pwo nutrition and pre comp carb ups. (If you compete and wish for ultra low BF levels. This excludes most of us)

Fruit FTW, especially pre, intra, PWO. :nod:

3. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Thanks for another great link Mastover!

Question - how are fruit sugars taken into account in a cutting diet? Obviously fruit sugars (from the actual fruit, not processed juices with added sugar) are a different form than white sugar, Sweet 'n Low, etc.

How should one account for the sugars in fruit? Is it simply: eat as much fruit as you can while hitting your macros?

I know there have been folks that have posted ?s regarding juice fasts, and I'm not sure I buy into them completely. I think they have their place, but probably not a frequent use I suppose.

Couldn't a person reap most of the benefits of fruit if it's juiced with minimal oxidation and heat gain? We would obviously want to ingest a fair amount of whole fruit for the fiber aspect, correct?

Thanks again for all the great info!

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

If a person used something like a Viamix for juicing purposes, they would have the benefit of the added fiber that is contained within the fruit. If they use the other type of juicers were the fiber is extracted, the point of juicing is moot IMO.

Most juices sold in the store are sugar and water. They don't have any real nutritional value.

5. mastover

Fruit and 100% fruit juice creates the "liver cell swelling" effect which not only is very anabolic, but will actually improve the transport of BCAA's.

Grapefruit, as an example, has high levels of HMB and has narangin which is a key compound that promotes fat loss.

If your body is in a caloric deficit, the chance of fructose converting to stored body fat is minimal (if at all) because your body is already in a negative caloric balance. Add intense training into the mix, and you will never add bodyfat.

In the past, I have always kept fruit as my main carb source when dieting down for a show, and always wound up sub 4% bF levels with no loss of muscle due to the "fed state" liver cell swelling support with the fructose. Whenever I have dieted down using starchy grain carbs, my results were not as impressive.

Fruit also has anti - oxidant properties that contribute to the overall positive effects...

6. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Very interesting information Mastover, thank you for such a clear explanation.

Aside from grapefruit, what other fruits do you recommend more than others for similar properties? One could guess oranges, nectarines, etc. since they're citrus and maybe contain similar properties?

Edit: I am specifically interested in your greater success via fruit rather than starchy carbs. I seem to digest oatmeal, brown rice, and other similar carbs extremely slowly - feel bloated even a couple of days after eating them. I've tried experimenting for a couple days on those foods: 2-3 days eat oatmeal, break for a few days, eat brown rice 2-3 days to gauge how I feel after eating them.

May not be the soundest plan, but I can tell a specific difference in how I feel after eating one or the other. May have to incorporate more fruits...

#6 bk9824, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Nectarines are peaches. Maybe you meant mandarins?

8. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Yes, thank you.

9. mastover

No, nectarines, oranges, etc. do not contain the same compounds as grapefruit.