1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fructose

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I eat fresh fruit and dried fruit every day. Even during the final week of a show. Know why? The vitamins and minerals, and the liver cell cell swelling effect fructose induces. (a very powerful anabolic signaler).

Check this out:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120221125020.htm

I recommend fruit to all my clients. Including a special juice/whey drink centered around training.

2. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

That's a great article... Why can't they publish THIS kind of stuff in bodybuilding media..

I've never understood the heat fruit has taken from all the bodybuilding and fitness outlets. It's not a supplement or man-made product, so there's no monetary gain or loss to be had by condemning it..

I remember one time reading something by that "fitness celeb" John basedow, saying that you shouldn't eat much fruit because it contains "fructose", then he proceeded to talk about why fructose is "bad".

I've even seen Jamie Eason say in some statuses or something, that you should limit fruit consumption to no more than "1-2 times a day". Not that Jamie Eason doesn't know what she's doing, because she obviously looks great... but I just don't get where these people are coming up with this stuff. :confused:

Dave Goodin, another drug free bodybuilder has talked alot in interviews and articles about how much he loves eating fruit, even in contest mode.

There's obviously research now backing it (as shown in the link).

Not to mention, there's so many things to consider, such as most fruit containing fiber which slows absorption, making alot of almost like complex carbs in a sense. Also things like glycemic load, where you can have a "high" glycemic carb such as watermelon, that so many people deem as a bad carb, although there's only about 5-6 carbs per 4 oz.

3. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I have heard it said that fruit is ok for those maintaining, but for anyone wanting to drop weight/bodyfat that fruit should be limited or even eliminated due to the insulin spike.

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Steak cause an insulin spike.

I can't find it at the moment but there have been studies pointing to low carb causing insulin resistance in healthy test subjects.

5. boots

boots Well-Known Member

If you would find a cite to the study that supports this, I'd be really interested in reading it.

6. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I think overall proper number of cals/macros daily will always take precedence over hair splitting what kind of foods to take in, especially when it's something like fruit, in which there's far worse alternatives you could be eating.

7. boots

boots Well-Known Member

Thanks for linking the study. I'm not finding the correlation to insulin resistance in the paper, so I sent it to my sister, a nutrition professor with a Ph.d, and asked her to translate it into "moron" for me. She's a vegan and will not miss the opportunity to point out the evils of my meat eating ways, if she can.

Interesting stuff.

8. winsecure

winsecure Well-Known Member

9. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Glad to see this from somebody pretty familiar with getting ripped.

I've gotten quite lean before ignoring my macro ratios (including a daily 495 ml of coca cola and milky way bar) as long as my calories were within a certain limit. I won't pretend it was ideal, but it can be done.

I've read pretty good literature on cutting out as much carbs as possible (including fruit) while consuming much protein (and fat), but there is lots of other literature continuing to tout the benefit of veggies and fruit and lean proteins, but eschewing much fat.

I'm really not sure what is best to be honest. The only thing I am sure of is that a healthy diet should minimize the simple junk sugars, further avoiding much or any bread, pasta, etc. as it's really gut filler without any nutritional benefit. I do believe it's good to minimize blood sugar spikes, but a lot of fruit doesn't spike it as quickly as highly processed crap like coca cola (or milky way bars).

For what it's worth, I've recently been losing weight quickly and since I have a sweet tooth and want to avoid the processed crap I've been eating a ton of fruit, of various kinds, including dried fruit. I know it raises blood sugar, but not as injuriously as bread, and I'm still scared to go hog wild on the cheese and meat as a book like "Why We Get Fat" recommends (is a good read, though).

10. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

I honestly didn't get much information from the article linked. It essentially said, "yeah, some gained weight...but that is attributed to going over their caloric needs." Also, on the side bar they posted another link that talks about how Fructose is contributing to obesity, metabolic disorders, and obesity.

Fructose is also processed by the liver, and can lead to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Unlike glucose, which can be processed by other organs/muscles/etc. Sucrose -- is 50% Fructose, and 50% glucose. Glucose fills muscle glycogen stores, and there is a finite amount of storage for even elite athletes. Once all glycogen tanks are filled the excess glucose WILL be converted, irreversibly, to fatty acids for storage. Even Fructose, when the liver stores are filled, will convert to fat.

In a high insulin environment -- the constant barrage of sugars will invariably get stored as fat, unless constant glycogen depletion is taking place. Also, within a high insulin environment -- no fatty acids will be utilized for energy.

Honestly, there is basically nothing good about Fructose. We can process it, but it should be considered a treat at most. Daily consumption is not necessary, and shouldn't be advocated. Sure, the more active you are might increase your ability to "enjoy" them more, but it is not a good substance regardless.

11. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

While you listed bread...interesting enough -- "healthy" whole grain wheat bread spikes insulin more than a snickers bar.

12. mastover

Too much of anything can kill you, including water. Fear of fruit and fructose is related to studies claiming 50 grams or more of fructose upregulates fat synthesis in the liver, increases blood triglycerides and causes NAFLD, not to mention causing insulin resistance. Fruit basically contains about 5-6 grams of fructose, so this means you would have to eat a crap load of fruit every day to cause possible concern. Further, fructose causes minimal insulin secretion, so even if you ate enough to raise fat synthesis, the lack of insulin would actually increase fat oxidation. It can be a risk for the obese or sedentary population. However, for active people who don't drink soda by the 2 liter bottle, it's a complete non-issue.

13. mastover

:confused:

14. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

BINGO! Well said. In terms of fat loss, stating that too much fructose leads to insulin spiking which leads to fat gain is a complete bogus statement. Excess calories lead to fat gain. Even if fructose did effect insulin levels (which it does only marginally), you can spike insulin all day long, but if you eat under your maintenance caloric level you will always lose weight. All of the hormones like insulin that people rave about will always bow down to thermodynamics/calories in vs out.

Insulin by the way, is released not just from sugar consumption but also from protein consumption. In fact, dairy is one of the most insulinogenic foods out there. If your goal is fat loss, you need to worry more about caloric deficit. If your goal is good health, then assuming you are eating a balanced diet that is mostly (80-90%) made up of 'whole/minimally processed food', you are probably doing fine.

15. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I am in full agreement with Mastover in terms of eating fruit and veg for the micronutrients and phytonutrients they contain.

While other foods like protein,fats and carbs have a place in the bodybuilding picture....actually a lot of them are considered to be "dead" foods in terms of necessary nutrients.

The American diet is chock slam-bang full of fats ,sugars,protein, junk carbs.

I00% Fructose does not have the insulin kick of 100% simple sugar.

Corn syrup fructose is a different story. You can't compare that to the fructose found in totally natural fruit IMO because it is in combination with hundreds of good phytonutrients in fruit.

Corn syrup,fats and sugars are carefully concocted in combination by the fast food industry to get you hooked.

Right now they have you focussing on Cholesterol as the "THE ENEMY".

But you could have perfectly normal Cholesterol and yet your Tri-Glycerides could be off the charts. And the T'G's will kill you before the Cholesterol.

T.G.'s are produced when you eat sugars and fats in combo.

Like nice big fat doughnuts for example.

16. vrodmuscle

vrodmuscle Member

Interesting...