1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Front squats

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by lonestarr, May 9, 2009.

1. lonestarr

lonestarr Active Member

I've been doing dumbbell squats for a while but have been looking into ways to use a barbell though there is no rack available to place it on (the gym at work doesn't have a rack to hold it). Is it ok to start a front squat with the barbell on the floor instead?

Also, better to use front or reverse grip?

2. George

George Senior Member

That would turn it into a deadlift. :) You could put the bar behind you and do a hacksquat, but people tend to have issues with the bar hitting them in the hamstrings (not the end of the world, mind).
    You could also clean the weight to your shoulders and then squat it.

3. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

There are inexpensive and creative ways to hack-squat (with dumbells) and avoid getting hung up in the hams or butt

Here's a neat one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7Hv4L1F60

Sort of a DIY hacksquat machine. concrete wall or plywood backboard would be best, if you don't want to wreck the wall.

#3 Gordo, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. StrykDog54

StrykDog54 Active Member

I have been doing front squats with a dumbbell by holding it under my chin, I especially like doing it right after a set of leg press - it will rock your world.

Without a rack, I would steer clear of trying to use a barbell (IMHO):gl: