1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

front squat form check

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by user786, Jun 9, 2009.

1. user786

user786 Active Member

could i have a front squat form check
    please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6IaaYT-Cs&feature=channel_page

also im am going to incorporate these more ...would it be
    just a matter of stopping back squats and starting front...or better to alternate them ..or can you do a few sets of both at the same workout??

thanks

#1 user786, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Drop the weight, your back looks like it's caving. I think it would help to be more upright, the bar looks like it's going to roll right off your shoulders.
    for comparison (not mine, but looks pretty good to me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WOiAcwX4hM

Don't see why you couldn't do both back and front in a workout. How to get better at squats....squat more :)

#2 Gordo, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Definitely not an expert by any means and not sure if you are doing deadlifts as a part of your routine, but here's something to think about...Back Squats work your quads/posterior chain 40/60, Front Squats 50/50. Most people are quad dominant and have weak hamstrings/glutes. A weak posterior chain is a common cause of back & knee pain, so deadlifts & back squats help strengthen your posterior chain. If you remove back squats, and don't have deadlifts to emphasize posterior chain development you'd have to add extra posterior chain work which gets things too complicated. Bottom line: Do back squats. At the very least do them both (alternate between workouts) and make sure you have another posterior chain movement.

You are definitely leaning too forward on your squats and rounding your lower back. Do your best to keep your chest up and forward, look forward, not up or down, and keep your elbows up and in. Push from your heels (looks like you are pushing from your toes a little in your video) and sit back. Excellent form on the video Gordo posted.

Also, I like Gordo's take on squats, to get better at squats, squat more :tu:

Good luck!
    Jasun

4. user786

user786 Active Member

thanks guys:tu: