1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

From Flab to Fab (Hopefully!) =P

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by MotivatedMichael, Nov 29, 2009.

1. MotivatedMichael

MotivatedMichael Active Member

Hey Everyone!

My name is Michael and I am finally committed and ready to start my cut. I will update my stats and average nutrient intake weekly and updated pictures monthly (hopefully).

Background:

While I was growing up, I always ate unhealthily; I ate TONS and all the wrong kinds of food (fast food, junk, etc. etc.) I also DID NOT exercise AT ALL. When high school came, I was still morbidly obese weighing around 260 pounds (118 kg) and at about 5'5''-5'6'' (165-167 cm) height. I was wearing 42'' pants and XL-XXL shirts.

Near the end of freshman year of high school I decided to start playing tennis (I liked it as a kid when I was able to play it, which was only around 3 times) even though my dad wanted me to play football. Again, I had never played any sport/done any regular exercise my whole life, but I still found it fun. I hired a private coach for the yeah to learn how to play and I did a summer clinic. My goal was to play on the team (although I had a long way to go since my school had a good team).

So I played tennis just about everyday (going without a week of it was tough for me). I was able to play pretty well for the amount of time that I had played, but I was still WAAAAYYYY overweight (still around 260 I think) since I still had to same bad eating habits. From Sophomore to Junior year of high school, I made JV on the tennis team and Senior year I finally made it to varsity, but not to a playable position. I subbed and got little playtime (I'm still happy I made it though because of my little experience with tennis). I worked hard at tennis those years, but I neglected my nutrition and off-court conditioning; if I had taken them seriously maybe I would have made a playable position then. Fast forward to the end of senior year; I got the most improved award from my coach (which was awesome since I had worked hard, but not as hard as I could have worked in retrospect) and now I am a sophomore in College.

It seems that I am in the same situation in college: I didnt play my first year (last year) because I was involved in the school and wanted to make new friends, I played this fall season (since it is a spring sport) and the team is really good; 20 guys are trying out for 12 spots and only 9 are playable spots. I am probably among the least experienced and conditioned players, but my motivation and work ethic is probably one of the highest.

between the summer of 2008 and now I have dropped around 68 pounds (~31 kg) and I am currently around 192.4 pounds (87.27 kg) and 15.5~18% body fat (determined from different tests and averaged). I am also around 5'8'' (172.72 cm).

Goals:

~My initial goal is to get to around 6-8% body fat.
    ~To do this:
    ~Drop around 0.5-1 pound a week; (around 0.25-0.5%)
    ~around 3500 calorie deficit per week; 500 per day
    ~55-90 g fat (<20 g saturated), 200g protein, + carbs (non-refined)
    ~4 day split weight training:
    ~ 10 minute cardio warm up
    ~1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Abs
    ~2: Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Upper back, Biceps
    ~ 5 sets:
    12 reps, increase weight to 10 reps, rest 1 minute increase weight to 8 reps, rest 1 minute increase weight to 6 reps, rest 1 minute decrease weight to 12 reps, followed immediately by 12 reps with a different exercise (mixing up the exercises every time)
    ~I will mix in circuit training every now and then to add a cardio component to the weight training
    ~For abs: I am trying to increase my overall core strengh so I am doing timed planks; 1 minute, rest, 1:05, rest, 1:10, rest, 1:15, rest, 1:00 then 20 second side plank on each side
    ~ 5 minute cooldown, 5-10 minutes of stretching
    ~Increasing the time by around 5 seconds per month I would think
    ~ LISS cardio for around 30-60 minutes 3-6 days a week. (5-10 minute cooldown depending on intensity, followed by 5-10 minutes of stretching)
    ~ HIIT cardio for 20 minutes (after a 10 minute warm up) once a week (for now)

~Second goal is to make the varsity tennis team at my school by my senior year (a playable position would be best, but varsity is good enough right now)
    ~To do this:
    ~Tennis-specific conditioning (on-court sprints, etc.)
    ~Play in tennis tournaments as much as possible.

Supplements:

~I am currently taking:
    ~GNC's AMP Wheybolic 60 (2 scoops, ~ 40g protein after weight training)
    ~Met Rx Protein Plus (around 1-2 scoops; 23-46g as a lean protein source when nothing else is available)/going to switch to Gold Standard 100% Whey after I am done with this
    ~GNC's Men Sports Vitamin Pack
    ~Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Fish Oils (Omegs 3's)
    ~Papaya Enzyme for help with digestion (until I run out)

Meals:

~ I am trying to get between 55-90g fats (<20g saturated) and around 200g protein.
    ~ I try to eat around 5-6 small meals a day every 2.5-3 hours depending on my hunger
    ~ My calculated maintenance is around 3250 calories
    The last 2 weeks were:
    ~Week of Nov. 9
    Fat: 103.2 g (30.9g saturated)
    Carbs: 474.4g
    Protein: 211.9g
    ~Week of Nov. 16
    Fat: 93.5 g (32.6g saturated)
    Carbs: 465.3g
    Protein: 218.1g
    ~Week of Nov. 23 (so far T_T)
    Fat: 109.8 g (33g saturated)
    Carbs: 425.2g
    Protein: 220.7g

~Stats: (11/29/09)

Weight: 192.4 pounds
    Hips: 39 11/16''
    Waist: 34 2/16''
    Chest: 37 8/16''
    Biceps (flexed): 12 15.5/16''
    Quads (flexed): 25''
    Calves (flexed): 16 11/16''
    Body Fat: Around 15.5-18% (17.5% self test)

I will upload pictures in my next post as soon as I figure out how to do it. =)

Any suggestions/critiques are greatly appreciated! :tu:

2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Michael. Welcome. You've done a great job so far and your plan looks good. Keep up with your diet, cardio and lifting. By the way, I like fasted LISS as a means to lose weight and lower body fat. Just be sure you keep lifting heavy at the same time (not literally the exact same time but you know what I mean).

I'm also Michael. Well, Mike actually. I'll be following your progress. :tu:

3. MotivatedMichael

Updates

No huge updates;

messing around with my diet to decrease my fat intake (especially saturated fat) I realized that my diet wasnt the cleanest...haha. I gained about 0.8 pounds even though I seemed to be at a deficit... might be because of the food I was eating, some of it wasnt the healthiest... But this week has been mostly good. I'll see about my stats next week, my measurements were the same sadly from last week. I still have plenty of time and a long way to go, which is pretty exciting.

On a side note, I am going to take a week off from weight training because I was in a pretty bad car crash last night. If I did do weight training I would not be able to tell the difference between the soreness from the training and the possible whiplash that will probably affect me soon. I am hoping it is not too bad and that I can regain full hearing in my right ear soon as well as continue weight training! :tu:

I also just received my ALIVE whole food supplement and am starting to use the gold standard whey to get extra protein in my diet. They both taste HORRIBLE with water, so I am going to try to mix them with a banana and milk and HOPEFULLY they taste alright. I am waiting for my RESULTS that I ordered from AtLarge, so I am hoping it wont taste as bad as these two. ;)

4. MotivatedMichael

12/12/09

After a terrible week, I decided that I am going to try to update this daily. I am going to aim for around a 7000 deficit per week, 1000 per day. I am also going to aim to eat whole foods, trying to avoid artificial stuff as much as possible. I haven't done weight training in a week and I am finally going to do it today (which I am really happy about).

I have had about 4 meals today (got up around 11 am) and I plan to have another protein shake after my workout. I was really hungry at dinner and ended up eating quite a bit of teriyaki chicken and white rice (which I am going to try to avoid now), but at least I am still full! :tu:

5. MotivatedMichael

12/13/09

I had an okay day. I ate a pretty awesome breakfast and a decent lunch. I ended up eating a lot of mexican food and desert at my cousins party earlier today though; I dont feel all that bad about it though since I will not have the chance to eat good mexicanfood for about 6 months (since I am going to study abroad in England). I just got back from a 30 minute cardio session in the gym, it was pretty awesome and I feel good. Tomorrow I plan to do some fasted LISS and then weight train later in the day. I might also play tennis, depending on the weather. I plan to take my measurements and whatnot tomorrow morning and get my weekly goals done as well. :cool:

6. MotivatedMichael

New Start

After a pretty interesting Christmas and New Years, I am back on track. Through this time with my family and irregular habits, I maintained my weight, but gained about a half inch on my waist =/ Its not a huge deal because I definitely over-ate and didnt exercise even close to as much as usual. I just moved over to the UK to study abroad here so now that I can control what I cook and everything else, I will be fine.

I decided that I am just going to try my best to eat clean this week and see what my results are. I know that I have to develop healthy habits and those take time to do. I have 6 months to reach my goals, so I am going to start slowly.

I took my measurements for the first time since last december and they were as follows:

Weight: 190.0
    Waist: 35 4/16''
    Biceps: 13''
    Chest: 36 5/16''
    Quads: 22 10/16''
    Calves: 16 11/16''
    Body Fat (Taken with Accu-Measure): ~18.9%

As I said before, my goals are to eat clean this week; I am going to cut out everything refined and eat as many fruits, vegetables, and whole grains as I want (I will count calories later; I will eat until I am satisfied, not full). I am also going to start my weight training regimen again next week (when I sign up to the gym here) and do cardio 4 tomes a week.

My first mini-goal is to get to around 16.9% body fat in a month, so I would need to lose around 5 pounds to get there. I hope it all goes well!:tucool:

7. MotivatedMichael

1/10/10

Today went pretty well so far. I ate a good breakfast, some good snacks and finally got to do a good 40 minutes on the elliptical today (for the first time in a few weeks :o) After my cardio I made some whole wheat penne pasta and some sauce with organic ground beef and spinach in it. I ate about a cup maybe a cup and a half and then had some grapes and waited (I could have eaten SO much more but I figured I would see if I was still hungry) turns out I was and 10 minutes later I downed another 3 cups of it. Just about an hour ago I ate a fruit, oat, and nut bar and I think I am starting to get hungry again...I still have a 1100 deficit so hopefully I can keep it around 500 before I go to bed tonight. I plan on eating 1/2 cup of brown rice with 2 eggs, onions, carrots, and spinach with soy sauce (A healthier fried rice I came up with). I plan on doing some weight training tomorrow and still eating clean. For some reason, I feel like I can finally reach my goals now that I am on my own :p 21 weeks until I head home, I hope to have made a lot of progress by then!

Edit: I am going to start taking my weight everyday; today I was 188.2 (1.8 pounds in a day? Must have been some water weight..)

8. MotivatedMichael

Last few days

The last few days have gone pretty well. Since I am just trying to cut back on processed foods, I have been eating more fat at the expense of protein :nono: And although I was 186.6 today (3.4 lb difference from Saturday) I feel that I should be eating a lot more protein. I also plan to start a new weight training routne tomorrow, so I hope it goes well! :D I also just ordered a bunch of groceries online and expect them tomorrow. Hello protein :lol: Should be better once I get my ingredients hehe...:drool:

9. ameer

ameer Active Member

All the best!

I read over your progress and I'm excited :Dfor you because I see alot of similarities with my own. You seem serious, which is great. :tu:Some of the things that really made a difference for me were eating a lot more protein, eating every 2 hours, cutting back carbs, and having a professional test me monthly. My gym offers fitness, bodyfat tests at no extra charge from a professional trainer. I guess other gyms probably do too.

I found that with my weight I should eat 2.5 gm per lb of 210 lbs.

315 gm of protein a day
    splitting that up between 6 - 8 meals a day just by itself kept me from being hungry.:drool:

I cut my carbs to 105 gm per day and only eat them in the morning or right after my workout.

I noticed a big difference just from the carbs and of course cutting out highly processed carbs even though the recommendation from this workout/meal plan was to eat white bread after my workout. This can be beneficial because an insulin spike in your system from the highly processed carbs helps your after workout protein shake get to your muscle that is begging for it right then. I just started taking creatine with refined dextrose sugar in it (about 82 gm for my loading phase) and I'm looking to see how my body reacts to it over the next couple weeks.

There's so much information out there. Just take it one day at a time and focus on whatever keeps you motivated and interested. The more you do the more you're going to feel like doing and the more you learn the more you're going to want to learn more. Before you know it you'll feel like an expert and all of your friends and family will notice your results and be asking you for advice.

Good luck!:gl:

10. MotivatedMichael

Alright so it has been a week. I weighed myself this morning and I was back up to 188.2 lbs again, but last night I ate A LOT with my friends. I took the averages of my weight for the past week and it turned out to be 187 (1.2 less weight even with today). My goal for this week is to be around 185.5 average. I made protein bars last night and they turned out pretty well so I am pretty excited. I probably have enough to make around 1-2 more batches, so I should be set for a few weeks. I also have protein powder on the way so that I can add more to my daily protein intake. This week I am going to focus on getting around 150g of protein per day and getting to the gym every day; 30 minutes of cardio 3 times and weight training 3 times. Once I can get this down I will start to add more. I am looking for a 500-700 calorie deficit per day so I am hoping that works out as well. I am reserving saturdays for cheat meals. Hope this week goes well, I'll try to update when I can! :tu:

And Ameer, thanks for the reply! I am going to try to cut carbs where I can and I will probably try to do that in the next few weeks when I get the protein and workouts into my routine. :nod: Good luck with your goals!

11. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey Michael. Glad to hear you're settled into your new digs and motivated as ever to get into great physical shape. Enjoy your time abroad. My wife studied for a year in England during her college stint and really enjoyed it. Take advantage of every opportunity for travel offered you.

What a great thing it will be for you to return to your family and friends looking like a totally different person. You have the time to to achieve a noticeable transformation. If I were you, I wouldn't play my hand when talking or writing to your loved ones back home. Just wow them with the buff new you when you get off that plane. :bb::flex:

12. MotivatedMichael

:tu: New week, new motivations.

So last night was a great learning experience. This weekend was actually a pretty good learning experience overall because my intake of junk food was pretty high and I definitely felt it. I started the weekend pretty well, but when I hung out with some new friends I ate about half a bag of french fries; they werent too bad since they were baked though. Saturday was pretty interesting since I woke up around noon and ate an energy bar for breakfast, followed by 3 scoops of ben and jerrys ice cream for lunch :doh: It seemed like a good idea when we were at the mall, and esecially since we were craving ice cream the night before, but .... yeah. I crashed pretty badly afterwards :nope: Then I didnt eat for a few hours until I had a chicken sandwich (not bad) and then... lasagna and crackers with cheese... and chocolate... lots of chocolate. It was fun, but I didnt feel too well afterwards haha. Yesterday started off well again and then at night I chilled with another friend and ended up eating half of a medium pizza and french fries by myself! :eek: Then some chocolate afterwards. To top it all off, a friend of mine was super high because she smoked (I dont at all) and wanted to make bread pudding, which I was down for. Not a good idea in retrospect, but hey live and learn right? It tasted good, but coupled with all the other junk I ate it was NOT good.

Funny... how I woke up with a sore throat this morning. :rolleyes: I blame it on all the junk I ate with the cold air. Ah well, Ill get over it eventually. I am definitely going to try to phase a lot of that out this week; I am reserving Saturday and ONLY Saturday to have "junk" food if I wish. But I will be making delicious and healthy versions of the junk food I love this week so hopefully I wont be tempted. Hope it goes well!

My weight today was 189.2... hmm I wonder why it was so high? Maybe all the junk? haha. I'll take it as a learning experience and move on. Today has gone well so far, I havent eaten much since I am not feeling 100%. I tried to go to they gym, but I wasnt feeling all that good and it was TOO crowded (not used to crowded gyms). I am going to try to go tomorrow at 6 am so hopefully it will be empty :tu:

I have a feeling this week will be a good week! ;)

Oh and Mike: First of all, thanks for the comments! I really appreciate it, it helps me keep motivated. And I COMPLETELY agree abot "wow-ing" my whole family and my friends with my transformation. I have 20 weeks, which is plenty of time to make major changes. I wont let anything get in the way of my fitness goals, it should be a fun, challenging, and rewarding 20 weeks.

13. MotivatedMichael

Stats update:

Weight: 186.8
    Waist: 34 2/16''
    Biceps: 13''
    Chest: 36 5/16''
    Quad: 23 11/16''
    Calf: 16 11/16''
    Accu: 21.8 average ~ 19.55% body fat %

Well I got my weight back down, but my stats stayed pretty much the same... except for my waist. This had been my waist stat before though, so I still have lots of work to do! Hope next week shows a little bit of a difference! :nod:

14. MotivatedMichael

02/02/10

Its been a while since I updated this, so I decided I would update today.

I have been weighing myself this past week every morning when I get up and I averaged about 187.2 last week, down from the weeks before's average of 187.6. That's a good start, but I weighed myself this morning and I was back at 187.8; I have a feeling that it was because I ate a lot after my workout and then took a nap (I did not sleep well the night before) so I am going to try my best to get a better sleep schedule. I also haven't been keeping track of what I have been eating the past few weeks (I used to keep track of everything, but my friend suggested I was obsessed, plus my app on my phone that I used to track broke, so I just stopped). I have been enjoying cooking a lot and what I have been eating; I think I will try to focus on cutting carbs where I can and eating as many vegetables as possible with every meal. I will track my progress this week so hopefully I get back on track. I also decided that I am going to aim to lose between 1.1-1.5 pounds per week, so I am going to cut carbs and workout more until I get the results I want; I will of course be eating enough as well as lots of fruits and vegetables, so I will see how it goes. I am also going to start drinking a protein shake while I am working out (diluted) and then my regular one after to see if it reduces soreness. I can't wait to see what happens, it should be fun amd challeneging these next few weeks! :tu:

15. MotivatedMichael

02/15/10

Hey everyone!

I know its been a longggg time again, but I have been doing pretty well since the last time I updated.

Todays stats:

Weight: 184.0
    Hips: 39 7/16''
    Waist: 33''
    Biceps: 13 2/16''
    Chest: 38 11/16
    Quads: 23 9/16''
    Calves: 16 13/16
    Body Fat (accumeasure): ~16.75%

I have been losing around ~1 lb/week which is pretty cool. The past few weekly averages have been:

01/25/10: 187.2
    02/01/10: 186.5
    02/08/10: 185.3 (last week)

As it says, today's weight was 184.0 so I am pretty jazzed about it. I haven't been keeping track of my nutrition, but I have been eating pretty clean! I eat enough to where I am satisfied and then eat within the next 2-4 hours depending on hunger and make sure that I eat an adequate protein source. I made somce beef chili that tastes AMAZING and I have been eating it with cheese and onions as well as a salad or carrots. I have also been making sure to take a PWO shake after my weight training workouts; it has around 37g protein and some complex carbs. I just got some N.O. xplode and will use the rest of it and then stop taking it, but it helps to keep my stomach at bay when i am doinf fasted LISS. I am going to keep this up until I plateau and then change things up; I am currently doing 3 days of weight training (MWF) with splits between legs,back, biceps, and calves and shoulders, chest, core, and triceps. Today's weight routine:

Plate Loaded Leg Press

120 kg x 12, 120 x 12, 140 x 10, 150 x 8, 160 x 6, 120 x 12 followed immediately by 20 squats

Dumbbell Bent Over Row

10 kg x 12, 10 x 12, 12.5 x 10, 12.5 x 8

Cable Row

30 kg x 12, 40 x 10, 40 x 10

Leg Curl Machine

40 kg x 12, 55 x 12, 70 x 10, 85 x 6, 55 x 12 followed by 12 lunges for both sides

Calf Raise Machine

120 kg x 12, 130 x 12

Standing Calf Machine

175 kg x 12, 175 kg x 12, 175 kg x 12

Dumbbell Bicep Curl

5 kg x 12, 6 x 12, 6 x 9, 6 x 6, 5 x 8 followed by hammer curls 5 x 4

I also took some progress pics today; will post them in my next post!

;)

16. MotivatedMichael

updated pics:

some from 01/09/10 and then from 02/15/10

Ill try to take new pics every week!

Attached Files:

#17 MotivatedMichael, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  17. MotivatedMichael

Today was pretty goood!

I woke up, weighed myself (183.4 WOOT :tu:) drank 1 scoop of NO Xplode and did my workout about 30 minutes afterwards. Today was a chest, shoulder, tricep, and core day and here were my results:

Dumbbell Bench Press

12.5 kg x 15, 15 x 12, 17.5 x 10, 20 x 1(couldnt do it correctly :o), 17.5 x 6, 12.5 x 10 followed by 2 pushups (could barely do them correctly :doh:)

Lateral Raise

4 kg x 12, 5 x 8, 5 x 9, 6 x 5, 4 x 12 followed by front raises x 5

Tricep dumbbell (press/raise?)

one arm: 4 kg x 12, 5 x 10

two arm: 5 kg x 10, 6 x 11, 7 x 6, 4 x 12 followed by the two arm raise with one dumbbell (idk the name haha)

Plank

40 sec, 50, 55, 65, 25-15 side- 15 side- 25 <--- beat my record :tucool: was pretty dead afterward though :D

On a side note: I have been to the gym everyday for the past 2 weeks and talk to a female trainer that works there quite often (when she is working). Today I told her about how I haven't missed a day and she seemed pretty impressed; I had told her previously that I would be in there everyday (but apparently she didnt believe my since she told me today that, "that is what everybody says") I guess that separates me from a lot of others eh? :tucool::p;) That made me pretty happy.

18. MotivatedMichael

Yeah Yeah, I know its been quite a while.... I have just been too lazy to update this. I am going to try yet again to keep this updated daily; it is one of my goals this week! I have been alright the past few weeks; I was cutting pretty well but I hit a roadblock last week when I ate out with my friends a few times. I had gotten over eating out, but the food just tasted so good... Good food has always been my vice; My parents cook really well and that is one of the reasons I have to work so hard today! Its alright though, I appreciate everything even more that I have to work this hard. :nod: I have no problem getting my workouts done... I have been to the gym almost everyday in the past few weeks... but the food thing; I do not know what to do! I mean, when I do eat, I enjoy it, but I feel like I am at the last supper or something and I have to keep eating and eating and eating! I know I am not hungry, but it happens anyways... Next time I am going to do my best to accept the feeling and then brush my teeth (since I know I will not eat after that). Tonight was the perfect example... the past few nights actually. I had indian food takeout the past 2 nights and tonight I ate 3 small bags of chips and 2 bowls of cereal. I know I wasnt hungry, but it just seems like I crave that trash food when I am watching shows on my computer. I try my best not to eat out of the kitchen, but it happened again tonight! I guess I am just going to have to stick to my guns about it and hopefully I can control my habits. Its going to take some time, but I think I can do it... ;) Anyways, past all of the late night munchies, I got my body fat taken by this machine thing at the gym and I am around 18.6% body fat. I am actually really happy because I thought I was much less, but I was NOT happy with how my body was looking where I thought I was. Now I know that when I get to my goal I'll be pretty hot... I hope! Haha. Anyways I still have a few months and I am at 18.6% body fat and down to around 181.4 pounds (been stuck there the past few days because of my late night eating). I am going to do some extra cardio tomorrow morning and then hit the weights in the afternoon; I am hoping this will all be behind me tomorrow and I can keep going towards my goal. I will update tomorrow before bed and try to make a habit of it. No matter how much I do not want to admit it, it is nice to know that people 'might' be reading this and have my back. I have always had to be self motivated since I haven't had too much support, but I feel like I can finally get through it... I am going to do my best not to mess up (even though I know I will) and hopefully help motivate others that have the same goal.

On a side note; I got a HUGE 10 pound tub of flavorless protein powder (92% pure and its pretty good quality) so I hope that I can finally get some more protein in me since it has been hard to get it all in food. I also decided against buying bread since it is too much of a temptation (when I eat a slice, I end up eating about 2-3 more!) I am also hoping to add more cardio in hopes of taking the 'edge' off of my cheat day; if I know I worked a little bit extra for it I am hoping that I wont feel guilty. I am trying my best to abandon my perfectionist approach since worrying about it doesnt help much... since I stopped keeping track of EVERYTHING that I have eaten, I have felt better. I just need to make sure I take my protein and to try my best to stop eating junk.

So, thats my update for the night; I am going to update tomorrow night... promise.

I know a lot of people click and read this (like I read others posts) so if you dont mind, please leave some comment; its great to have support :tucool: I will also do my best to comment on other journals too since we all are aiming for the same thing :lol:

19. MotivatedMichael

Last night was rough, but I figured that I will find some motivational pictures and put them in my room, so I am compiling a list to do that... wish me luck!