1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

From Fat to Back and Back to Fit Again

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by FatLenny, Apr 17, 2011.

1. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

As was suggested in my intro thread this is my newly created journal and progress pic thread. I had recently started a blog on another website, so I will just copy and paste some of that info here to get started. Hope nobody minds...

Not bad for a rocky start. Now another post with some info on my workout routine (which has recently been modified)...

Since then, I have revamped my schedule to include four splits over two weeks, a different rest and recovery rhythm, and some running/walking days in the form of 30 minute Couch to 5k workouts(now that my weight is low enough that I don't feel I will damage my knees). A quick look:

Day 1: Split A
    Day 2: C25k
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Split B
    Day 5: C25K
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Split C
    Day 8: C25K
    Day 9: Rest
    Day 10: Split D
    Day 11: C25k
    Day 12: Rest
    Day 13: Max Day or Active Recovery/Crunches
    Day 14: Rest

Every six weeks I plan for Day 13 to be a 5 rep max day in order to recalculate my work weights. Otherwise, Day 13 will be my active recovery day along with 3 sets of myotatic crunches.

Here are my splits:

Code:
    [U]Split A[/U]
    Front Squat
    Incline Press
    Yates Row

[U]Split B[/U]
    Back Squat
    Chest Dips
    Push Press

[U]Split C[/U]
    Front Squat
    Pull Ups
    Conventional Deadlift

[U]Split D[/U]
    Back Squat
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Work weights will be 70% of my 5RM and each set is done until momentary muscle failure is achieved. Each exercise has a specific goal for the minimum number of reps (typically 7 reps, except squat and deadlift (10) and dips and pull ups have standards not yet determined).

I am using a progressive loading scheme that will add 10 pounds on the following workout to any exercise that the minimum rep count is achieved. Only one set per exercise will be executed on any given session. If the MMF is achieved before the minimum number of reps, the weight will stay the same on the following workout.

I have been keeping a log of each workout in a spreadsheet that shows sets, reps, weight and includes notes on many of the exercises. This way I can better track my progress throughout my working week. My memory is crap and I would experience momentary brain failure each time I tried to remember what weight to load for my next exercise.

So that was a huge post. That should bring us up to date on the big picture of what I have been doing. I'll be posting as often as I can here so the details of my activity and nutrition will be a bit more clear in the future. Thanks to Shamie for the suggestion.

:claplow:

#1 FatLenny, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. Gskarr

Gskarr Active Member

good job Lenny

here you will find a lot of info and a lot of support

im looking forward to read your journal

Best regards

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I had forgotten to add that I am also adding a few bodyweight exercises to my routine. I started with the idea of just doing a few pushups, situps and lunges everyday in the morning to get me revved up.

What I ended up settling on is starting with 11 of each, pushups, situps and reverse lunges. Each day I am adding one rep to each exercise. So far I have been able to do all three exercises consecutively and complete all the reps for the day fairly quickly.

Of course, I am only on day 5... yep.. 15 of each done this morning. For some reason, my 13 month old daughter thinks situps are a riot. When I start on them, she giggles hysterically and usually tries to either jump on my belly or in between my legs. A little distracting, but ultimately adorable.

I am looking forward to my split this evening. I am going to be doing the front squat at 160 lbs, the incline bench press at 105 lbs and the supinated bent over barbell rows (Yates rows) at 195lbs. I will also be doing 3 minutes of moderate cardio on a recumbent bicycle.

As for meals today... I am on track as usual. Four eggs, sunny-side up with 2 cups(before cooking) of a Mexican vegetable medley of red beans, white beans, garbonzo beans, broccoli, and carrots for breakfast at 6AM. For my first lunch at 10AM, I had about 5 or 6 ounces of boneless sliced ham, 2/3 cup of sweet peas and a cup or so of broccoli.

Copious amounts of ice water are always consumed daily, too. I would guess that I have had roughly 10 or 12 cups today already, and it is barely past noon. I think I may hit the jump rope for a couple of minutes this afternoon if my child sleeps long enough.

:tucool:

Weighed in at 276.6 lbs this morning. Down 2 pounds from yesterday and right on track two days after my cheat/reward day, Saturday. :eat:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You have a solid plan in place and with your determination I'm sure you're going to see considerable additional progress. :tucool:

5. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Just to round out my meals for the day...

Second Lunch @2:30PM: 4 or 5 ounces of ham with one cup broccoli and 2/3 cup sweet peas
    Dinner @6:30PM: 8 ounces of chicken tenders, liberally seasoned, with 1 cup of baby lima beans and 1 cup of broccoli

Apparently I was on a broccoli kick today. :nod:

I went to the gym as planned, but unfortunately hit a snag in the routine. I had been having a bit of difficulty nailing down the proper form for my front squats and fell victim to wrist pain and the wobbles again.

Since I've had these issues before, I decided to check my form after to failed sets. The first set at 160 pounds, I only made 5 reps before my wrists hollered at me. The second set only got me through 3 reps before I felt seriously imbalanced and decided to rack it before I fell over.

After those two bad attempts, I unloaded the barbell and did a set of 10 in front of the mirror with an empty bar. I immediately saw what was causing my imbalance. I apparently have the tendency to shift my weight onto the balls of my feet during the front squat. That'll do it.

The issue with my wrists, I am still working out, but I am relatively sure that it is related to form as well. I think it is a combination of my grip position and my shoulder posture.

I have made the decision to proceed with a progressive loading routine on the front squat, but I am starting over with only the barbell. So yeah.. 45 pounds should allow me to hammer out any inconsistencies in my form before I get back to my original work weight.

Although that was a horrid way to start my workout when I went into it feeling so good, the rest of it went without a hitch. I nailed both my incline chest press and the Yates rows. MMF on rep 8 (7.5 reps completed) so I will be increasing the weight by 10 pounds on each of those exercise on the next go-around.

I ended the workout with my usual 3 set of 10 shoulder dislocations and 3 minutes of moderate cardio on the recumbent bicycle. I have found the 3 minutes on the bike to be very helpful in reducing soreness the day after a good lower body workout.

Overall, today was a pretty good day. I can only hope for as good of a day tomorrow... running... *sigh*

6. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Haven't posted here in a while. Just a quick, basic update today as it is the weekend and we've got a good bit of family things going on.

My body weight is down to 269 as of yesterday with a body fat (caliper measurement) of 26.5% even though my nutrition wasn't perfect. I did take an extra cheat meal this past week as well as a couple of extra snacks of nuts and cheese throughout the last two weeks.

I have decided that I need to change my workout plan to more closely mirror my wife's availability to go to the gym. I had to modify my current plan on short notice twice since my last post due to not being able to hit the gym.

I think I can work it out, though. I'll post more specific updates when I get the chance.

:jumping:

7. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Great going so far, one day at a time.

8. pylo79

pylo79 Active Member

Great job man! :tucool:Keep up the hard work. Also if you can try to write in your journal everyday trust me it helps tremendously.

9. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I'll take that into consideration and make a sincere effort to post in this thread at least once a day. I feel like I need to say how busy my life is, but I know the truth. The truth is that we are all busy and I can make time for anything that I value.

I've obviously made time to workout and prepare my own food. I did not do that before. I just need to make journaling a priority activity in conjunction with my fitness habits.

Thanks for the nudge... :o

10. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Let's see... what did I do today? I am still tweaking my workout routine, so don't be surprised when new exercises pop in(with very light weights to focus on form first) and old ones pop out. Here is what I accomplished today:

Resistance work

Hang Clean:
    45 lbs. 2 sets x 5 reps
    55 lbs. 3 sets x 5 reps

Bench Press:
    145 lbs. 5 sets x 5 reps

Clean Deadlift:
    165 lbs. 5 sets x 5 reps

Pull Ups:
    Assisted with 150 lbs. (reducing bodyweight to 121 lbs.)
    3 sets x 5 reps
    2 sets x 3 reps (momentary muscle failure on both of these sets)

Split Jerk:
    45 lbs. 2 sets x 5 reps
    55 lbs. 3 sets x 5 reps

Cool Down:
    3 minutes LISS cardio (treadmill @ 3.0 mph & 0.5% incline)

I also completed 29 of what I have been calling PBRs throughout the day. I started with 11 PBRs on day 1 and have been adding 1 rep each day I continue to do them. PBRs is simply an acronym for Push ups, Bridges(glute bridges), Reverse Lunges and sit ups.

Yeah... I like beer and think I'm funny... :claplow:

Nutrition is on par. I don't track it precisely, but since I have before, I can guess with a decent amount of accuracy. Most likely near 1600 kcal for the day, and my macros usually end up around 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat. I deviate up to 5% on any of those macros on any given day, but 5% would be a pretty extreme case(I would have to miss a meal or have a cheat treat like the soft serve dip cone I had yesterday with the family).

So today was definitely a good day.

:jumping:

Running tomorrow and probably bumping up the intensity because of the ice cream treat this week. :doh:

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

30 PBRs done this morning.

Decent breakfast of 4 eggs, scrambled, 1/2 cup of fordhook lima beans and 1 1/3 cup of sweet peas with about 4 - 16 ounce glasses of ice water.

First lunch consisted of 4or 5 ounces of turkey, 1/2 cup of baby lima beans, 1 cup of corn niblets and a couple of those 16 ounce glasses of ice water.
    :eat:

Feeling pretty good today and I realized that I never posted pics for my May 1st update. So here they come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started the month at 283 pounds if memory serves me correctly, and ended it at 273 pounds. So I lost 10 pounds last month. Not bad. Especially when you consider that the months started the day before a cheat day and ended the day after. :doh:

Oh well.. that should get me fired up this month, though. :mad:

It does leave me right on track for my goal of breaking under 200 pounds by September of 2012. :D

The down side of things today is that I seem to have developed a cold. The worst part is that it is looking like an upper respiratory problem which may put a damper on my planned cardio workout today. Running is never fun when you can't breathe.

Will check in later tonight and post the actual outcome.

#11 FatLenny, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. pylo79

pylo79 Active Member

You doing good on your progress:tu:, Just keep your goals in your mind on what you want to achieve and shoot for another 5-10lbs loss this month. Hope you get to feeling better I know all about working out feeling like krud.

13. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Good work Lenny. Keep at it. A question and a suggestion.

Question - For your PBRs - yes I thought the same thing about the beer :) - Do you do a cycle where you go P, B, R, S and repeat 30 times, or do you do 30 P, 30 B, 30 R, 30 S?

Suggestion on the pics - I used to take pics weekly and paste them into the previous week's file, side-by-side. So I had Pic 1 at the beginning, then weekly pics going to the right for each week in one shot. It really helps you notice the changes. Sometimes they are tough to see in the mirror, but seeing them next to each other is eye opening and motivaitonal. Just a thought.

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

The latter is the way I do it (i.e. 30 P, 30 B, 30 R, 30 S). I don't really have a specific order, so some days I'll hit the situps first and others the situps are last. I am trying to keep a mindset of flexibility in how I do them, since eventually I will need to split them into sets. I don't think I could do 200 push ups in one shot, so when I get there I may mix and match sets of 30 or whatever my body seems to be able to handle +5. :lol:

Good suggestion. I may have to do that. I'll have to play around with image sizes, though. I was thinking of inserting the first set of pics in every update side by side with the update pics, but you might have the better option. Thanks.

15. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I think I have decided to start a thread in the media gallery forum for my progress pics... Right Here!

My last two meals were on par with normal, and my cardio wasn't too shabby either. I ended being fine as far as the breathing issues I was concerned about. I hit the treadmill at the gym:

17 minutes at 5.2 mph
    10:30 at 3.8 mph
    2:30 at 3.0 mph for a cool down
    Had the incline set on random (level 5) the whole time.

Felt pretty good. Covered 2.4 miles in 30 minutes and my entire back with sweat. Alright.

:tu:

#15 FatLenny, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

31 PBRs this morning. Breakfast and first lunch went off as planned. Looking forward to resistance training at the gym this afternoon.

Family is visiting this Friday, so I'll have to figure out when to do my Friday afternoon workout. I may just have to find a way to get to the gym in the morning before they arrive.

17. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Quick update since I need to hit the sack...

Resistance Training

Back Squat
    -Warm ups: 45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 175x2
    -Work Sets: 205x5x5

Yates Row
    -Warm ups: 45x5, 95x5
    -Work Sets: 145x5x5

Incline Chest Press

-Warm ups: 45x5, 75x5
    -Work Sets: 105x5x5

Push Press
    -Work Sets: 115x5x5

Assisted Chest Dips
    -Work Sets: 5x5 with 120 pound assist

3:00 LISS on recumbent bicycle at level 10 resistance (0.58 miles)

Nutrition
    Second lunch and Dinner went as planned with a little bonus of an extra piece of grilled chicken (bonus protein!)

18. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

32 PBRs finished tie morning. Breakfast was good. Running a little late on first lunch. Speaking of which.... :eat:

19. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Good workout today. I remember going into it thinking that the weights just weren't going to be challenging enough, but I stuck with my original plan anyway. It turned out to be more challenging than I figured thanks to my wife. ;)

I told her to expect our gym time to be around an hour today instead of our normal 45 minutes and she gave me the impression that she didn't like that idea... so I decided to cut my rest intervals down to a minimum. Most were 30 seconds rather than my normal 60 seconds. Some of the warm up sets were closer to 10 or 15 seconds rest.

The shorter rest periods got me revved quickly. I ended up getting a nice cardio workout from it, and that spilled over into the resistance aspect, making some of the weights more challenging than I had expected. Yay!

:claphigh:

Resistance Training

Full Squat
    -Warm Ups: 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 115x2
    -Work Sets: 145x5x5

Upright Row
    -Warm Ups: 45x5, 55x5
    -Work Sets: 65x5x5

Clean Pull
    -Work Sets: 135x5x5

Split Jerk
    -Warm Ups: 45x5

3:00 LISS on recumbent bicycle at level 10 resistance (0.48 miles)

Nutrition

Par. Everything went as planned... well.. I did eat a little more protein than usual. Had a double helping of chicken breast at dinner. I think I'm going to need it after my workout.

Overall, a pretty good day. Family visiting tomorrow. I'm going to the gym in the morning and we have planned to eat dinner at a local pizza pub tomorrow night. Planning that as my free meal for this week. Can't wait. They have the best dough nuggets!

20. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Switched things up to accommodate visitors. Resistance training is already done. Only hitch I ran into was that the day care unit called for me to get an unruly daughter just before my last set of chins. Unfortunately, that broke my concentration, and I missed my last rep. I also was unable to do my 3 minute cool down on the recumbent bicycle. Stuff happens...

Resistance Training

Front Squat
    -Warm Ups: 45x5, 55x5

Shoulder Press
    -Warm Ups: 45x5, 65x5
    -Work Sets: 85x5x5

Deadlift
    -Warm Ups: 135x5
    -Work Sets: 175x5x5

Power Jerk
    -Warm Ups: 45x5

Assisted Chins
    -Work Sets (150 lb. Assist): 5x4, 1x4

Nutrition

Breakfast and first lunch went well. Looking forward to my 5 hour re-feed(I usually refer to it as a free/cheat meal since a lot of times I only have one meal and then dessert). I'll be having a hamburger (on a bun!) for second lunch and we're hitting the pub for pizza later. I expect the pizza to be more fatty than I would like for a re-feed, so I am trying to stay in the lower end of the range of carbs for my re-feed to compensate for the extra fat(range is usually 275g-550g of carbs).

Taking the weekend of for recovery(aside from my PBRs).
    :madpimp: