1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Free online coaching VIA Chad Waterbury!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by bradh, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Great stuff KT, i think Day 5 will be pretty brutal. :) My first day will be tommorrow.

Has with the reverse crunchs i will be doing more then 6 and i will be using a slant board. I can't really see a way to increase the weight, maybe you could lay a plate on the mid section...I raise my lower back off the board so it would increase the tension.

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I suspect once you get "in the groove" and you figure out proper weights, you're body will adjust just fine.

I really want to do this, as I wouldn't mind cutting down a bit. I just don't know how I can do it on the road this month, especially doing the diet part. I think I'll just be holding my own on diet with the workouts I do get in.

Please keep posting your thoughts on the workouts, though. I'll live vicariously :)

3. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Is a slant board not just an adjustable bench? I just grabbed one of them, made it flat, let my legs hang off the end, put my hands under the bench and did my crunches. I assume that is correct?

I did try to intensify it a bit by not resting after the hang cleans, but it was still too easy. Next week I will increase reps for this particular exercises.

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I assume the slant board is a adjustable bench and its set to a decline. That's what i will be using. Mine will only stay in the decline position however, i believe some people call it a sit-up board.

This is what i have - Of course my head will be at the top of the decline IE reverse crunch.

http://backtrainer.com/Ab-Board.html

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

For the reverse crunches, I think the idea is that you do some form of hip-dominant crunching, so you could probably very well use a more difficult exercise -- weighted hanging knee-ups (DB between feet), slant board or hanging leg raises, hanging pikes, etc would all be good options depending on your level of fitness. A small plate tied between your feet (with your shoe laces) can add a lot of resistance on a leg raises or pikes if you're very strong. Be sure you have good form if you choose leg raises so that you don't just do the hip flexor portion of the movement.

#45 chicanerous, Apr 2, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Well whoever completes all of day one certainty deserves a pat on the back. :) Hint, hint i never done it all. :D

phew!!

I had the blocks setup for some powercleans from blocks but i was using way to much shoulder/arm pull so i passed on them. However, i hurt my shoulder while experimenting. I was pretty pisssed but i found another deadly excercise afterwards, it will be a mainstay in most of my programs for a good while to come.

On to the workout:

A1: Front squat - 4x6@154
    A2: Reverse crunch (steep decline) - 4x10

B1: Alternating shoulder press - 1x6@50(each arm), 1x4@50 shoulder hurt stopped.
    B2: One arm dumbell row - 1x6@40, 2x6@56

C1: Bulgarian Split Squat - 1x6@70(each leg)
    C2: Bulgarian Deadlift - 1x6@132(each leg)

I was so winded from the C pairinsg i decided to just do straight sets on one of my new favorites the Bulgarian Deadlift!!:D

D: Bulgarian Deadlift - 3x6@132(each leg)

E: DB External rotations - 2x10@10(each arm)

7. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

Completed Day 1! man, at the end of the C splits, I was sweating like crazy. I went with body weight for the bulgarian squats. One thing I am sure of is that my balance will improve tremendously.

FYI, this is the workout plan at the intermediate level. Imagine what the advanced training will involve: maybe, deadlifts while walking on a tight rope. seriously, this was a fun and focused workout.

8. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

It was the biggest sweat i've got going in a while. The unilateral stuff really is challenging.

9. karatetricker

I did the HIIT on a treadmill yesterday. Felt great. Today my DOMS all around are so severe, I get in and out of my chair like a 90 year old man.

10. hemburger

Finished Day 3 today. The C1, C2 pairings were again very taxing. However, the workouts are very satisfying. In addition to my balance, my grip and forearms should improve tremendously. 14 reps each Upright rows (I might substitute them) and lunges seemed too much at the end.

I am working on Day 5 tomorrow as I leave for Cleveland on Friday. It sure will be VERY demanding and I won't like to travel after that. In comparison, HIIT seems lighter. :)

11. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I'm not following the program exactly because of a shoulder problem but i am doing all the lower body work. And boy my hamstrings and abs are VERY sore today...........HELP! :lol:

I took about 1500mg of Anaprox since yesterday.:spaz:

12. karatetricker

Day 5 for me in 2 hours. Pray for me.

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

Had to chuckle at that one dude. :D

14. karatetricker

Not sure anyone knows, but I thought I'd see what you all thought. I've been thinking about it since I first saw it posted and still can't come to a conclusion.

What is the purpose of Day 5? Is 25% 1RM for 2 minutes really going to build any strength or size? Maybe, I don't know, hence the question. It just doesn't seem like it based on everything I've ever read about weight training.

If not, is it really just a glorified HIIT workout or is it beneficial in some other way than just running sprints?

Any thoughts? Has Chad ever discussed something like this before?

15. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Its probably a recovery method and to help boost recovery levels for the next phase, which i assume will include more heavy training sessions.

You can look at it has HIIT also.

Have you ever read about the The Tabata Method and The Litvinov Workout by Dan John? Those methods are similar to Day 5.

#55 bradh, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  16. karatetricker

17. hemburger

I am doing this program again, nearly a year later. Today was Day 1, and I still felt the same puking feeling after C1C2 superset. Over the year, my bodyweight has increased (some muscle, some fat), I can deal with higher weights and I can eat much more. All this made me think that day 1 of WSP wouldn't be that strenuous. :whistle:

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Heh, digging deep for this thread :)

I'm contemplating running this again in a month or so, or getting Alwyn Cosgrove's Afterburn 2 program to do some complexes for a change to compare.

I don't think I've had the kind of overall fitness that WSP left me with since. I've made some gains since then in the strength department, but no way can I pound out reps like I could after this program.

19. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Hmmm....nobody posted their results from doing this routine...which is kind of surprising given how badass you all make it sound. So... Anything to write home about?

20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

It is hard to find a picture of Stuart MacRoberts, also. only the rare head shot.