1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Free online coaching VIA Chad Waterbury!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by bradh, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Yeah its a brutal workout.

KT, single leg deadlifts - You simply used a low box to elevate one foot behind you and deadlift with your front leg. Something like the Bulgarian split squat but you don't want you back foot near so high. Actually, that's what some people call it the Bulgarian deadlift. :)

Not sure if that's a good descripiton. :)

Found an example -
    http://www.dolfzine.com/page534.htm

#21 bradh, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I've also seen it with the leg suspended behind you, where you have it parrallel to the ground at the low position, and almost upright when you've stood up with the weight. So, it kind of counter balances you.

3. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Heh. But if you do them with confidence, people will think you're hardcore :)

EDIT: That's video is kinda what I described, too, but that seems more stiff legged now that I think about it. Not sure if that is what he means or not. Canada posted something that shows the one leg elevated like the bulgarian split squat, so maybe that IS it. It involved knee bends, so is more like a regular dead.

#24 MannishBoy, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  5. karatetricker

I know, that is stiff legged, so I'm not sure either. I deadlift like 250 lbs., so there's no way I could get an effective deadlift out of merely a dumbbell since I could never lift a heavy enough dumbbell (especially while on one leg) to make it effective. That is why I believe it should be performed as shown in that video, but I'm still not certain?

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I suspect that when you go to a single leg, you'll not need near 1/2 of a regular deadlift kind of weight due to all of the stabilizing your going to have to be doing, not to mention grip (at least for me).

7. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Probably not even that much is needed. Zenpharos would know about this...:confused:

8. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I don't believe that's the correct excercise. Its the same has the split squat but instead of having a bar on your back you pull it up from the floor IE Squat/Dead.

I will be using a barbell for the single leg deadlift has with the romanian deadlift.

9. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I might do this program beginning in May after lawschool finals are over. I'm a big Waterbury fan.

10. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Man just looking over the program, in detail. I'm excited! :D Pretty brutal and its different.

Day 5 is puke day :lol:

11. karatetricker

BTW - are there any pics of Chad anywhere? All I could find was his face... I'm curious what his physique looks like.

12. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

There was one article where they had a pic of him at some kind of conference about 8months ago. He was in jeans and a t-shirt, he's tall but the pic wasn't a good one.

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
  15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That ain't no mullet. Mullets are "business in the front, party in the back". His is just long all over :)

16. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I use to have hair halfway down my back. It was long all around thou. I had huge hair, maybe that's another reason i take to Chad's work. :D

17. karatetricker

As far as rests go, from the new thread, someone posted this:

So it seems as though they're not supersets.

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

But sometimes he calls stuff "antagonistic pairings", and sometimes "supersets". I always took antagonistic pairings as regular rest between sets, and supersets as no rest between A1/A2. I'm sure he'll answer in the thread, though. To me, this has been one of the more confusing things in his programs to me.

I think he told Justita in a question she'd asked that in TBT, the antagonistic pairs split the time of rest, so that for instance, with a 120 second rest period, you'd wait one minute between each exercise so that in about 120 seconds give or take, you're back to the A1.

*shrug*

I've tried it all of the ways. I personally like the no rest option :) It shortens the workout and I haven't had trouble with it.

19. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Yeah you rest between pairings, there are no supersets has such. That way the volume/minute is high and the workouts are fairly short.

20. karatetricker

OH MY GOD!

I just finished Day 1's workout. Let me preface this by saying 1) I have been out of the gym for 2 weeks due to illness, and I'm still only about 90% fully recovered, but 2) saying I'm in very good physical shape would probably be me being modest.

I nearly puked after my 2nd set of C1C2. I'll admit the hang cleans were tough, but pairing them with 6 reps of reverse crunches* took a lot of the pain out. The next pairing was tough, but nothing to cry about. However, then came split squats and 1 leg deadlifts. I had never performed either before, so perhaps I used too much weight, but after the 2nd set, I nearly puked, and only made it through 3 reps on my 2nd leg of my 3rd set of 1 leg DLs. Took a nice break, finished off the last 3 reps, another break and did my 4th set, but cut my DL weight in half.

I don't know if I did them how he intends, but I used DBs for both (couldn't imagine setting myself with a BB for the split squats), and used a bench for my rear leg for the squats and took a longer stance and a lower box and a shorter stance for the DLs. I started with 50s, went to 40s and on my last set of single leg DLs, only used 1 40.

Anyway, it was insane. I've NEVER felt like that during a lifting workout in my life (HIIT causes a similar feeling).

I also didn't do the stretching because I forgot to look at the routine he said to use and I was so dead at the end, I forgot to utilize my own stretches. I'm going to try to do them from now on.

To say I'm scared for Day 5 is an understatement.

* Reverse crunches for 6 reps was next to useless. Is there any way to add weight to this exercise or is there a reason we're only doing 6 reps when I could probably do 100?

Good luck to all those who plan to try this routine out. I used to be a full body non-believer, but I actually thoroughly enjoyed this workout, save for the feeling half way through, but even that was almost a "good" feeling in a sick sense.