1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Four Week Squat Program

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by chicanerous, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Chic,

What are your rest intervals between sets? And do they change from week to week? Or is it constant?

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Looking forward to hearing your results Chic. I just did a stint of high volume (although not this high) for the last 8 weeks and saw some good results. I'm running some powerlifting-type training right now, but might try something like this later on in the year, maybe.

Good luck, looks fun!

3. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

I'll be following this thread with interest. The M/W/F schedule for legs would do me in--DOMS at peak, when time for next workout. It'll be awesome if you can get thru this.

4. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I expect you will have excellent results. :tucool: I think you are probably ready for it. Not something I'd recommend to most people though

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What is the point of doing sets of 5 at 50% 1RM? Why not do these as 10x5 until you get to your 10RM? I don't know off the top of my head, but I might actually have 10 at 50% 1RM + 100 pounds.

I'm going to squat today so you've given me an idea.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm definitely with you on the love of squat thing.

Are you sure you "desperately need more size and strength"? Yeah, more strength is great but if YOU are desperate, what about the rest of us?

7. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Recovery, capillarization, etic... But doing 50% 1RM is useless outside the context of an intense, squat program like this when a muscle group is heavily utilized freququently. 5 sets at 50% is not a workout. Rather it facilates the real workouts. 10 at 50% 1RM + 100 pounds, on the other hadn, is a legitimate workout.

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah I understand the circulatory angle of the lower weight squats. Frankly he could probably do 2x25 at 50% 1RM. And the circulatory benefit of the higher rep sets when you can is better than putting the rest in. You can figure the circulatory benefit of breaking light weight reps into sets more or less the same way as you set up intervals. Intervals that last less than a minute or so are not that important - and a set of 5 should be more like 20 seconds than a minute.

I like the program - the first half is like cardio squats, the second half is for strength. I think I would get more cardio benefit from skipping half the rest in the first half of the program.

9. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

1-2x per week (alternating weeks) on non squat days. I'm hitting military press, chin-ups, rows, dips, and shoulder isolation. 1-2 sets of 6-8 (2 sets on 1x per week, and vice versa) -- basically a 30 minute in and out workout.

They weren't written into the program's description. The only clue is that last statement that you can can continue with the program as long as you can recover in 3 minutes. I'm using about a 2 minute rest.

:nod: to jsbrook's reply.

I had my first session last night and I'm not sore at all today. I'll most likely be crying for my mother in a week or two. I've been doing very low volume, strength oriented squatting lately. I don't think this program would make much sense for you since you routinely use a high volume squatting approach.

All you have to do is look at my squat #'s in my journal and then look over at the starting picture. :cry: I also like how big legs look -- sign of powerful body. Wide back, large shoulders, big legs.

#29 chicanerous, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Today was my third session and it was pretty challenging. I've been using a 6" stance so that 250 max I based the numbers off of doesn't exactly apply to a stance that's about 1.5 ft closer. I'm going to have to gradually widen my stance or else I won't be able to complete the program.

There was also some lactic acid build-up tonight, which I didn't really get the past two sessions which both felt pretty easy. My quads were so pumped at the end I could barely straighten my knee completely. I didn't do the recommended calf raises tonight as a result of having trouble standing with weight locked out.

So, the result was it was a struggle to push the last rep out of the last few sets. Close stance really seems to isolate the quads so having to bank on them for most of the power after the first 8 sets was interesting. It also makes my knees / tear drop area feel a little funny. I've doubled my intake of glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM to keep my joints happy (I've actually been taking half the recommended dose the past 6-7 weeks, so this isn't a big thing).

I need to focus on eating too -- now is really the time for extra calories.

I can't wait for Thursday and beyond. :D The weight ain't even heavy yet!

#30 chicanerous, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Chicanerous.....just wondering....After you add up the rest periods (3 min each) times the actual number of sets, this workout looks like it may well stretch past an hour.

Does this concern you for the Cortisol effect?

Makes me wonder how many people actually bother about that.

I know for me sometimes it's not easy to get it all into "the window".

Was watching a couple of flash videos posted on this site where the pros are talking about working out a couple of hours in the morning and then going back later for another two hours or so.

They make no mention of Cortisol.:eek:

12. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It takes 30-40 minutes tops. A set of 5 only takes about 20 seconds to complete. I don't yet take the full rest period either so I'm done squatting even quicker than that. The only time I don't get in the window with any of my routines is when there are ass-hats curling in squat racks or the like and I have to wait for equipment. I try to go at times when I can minimize any wait or can use what little brawn I have to take precedence. If you're having trouble staying even under an hour much of the time, you need to rework your routine and use your training time more wisely; a good lift shouldn't take much more than 20-45 minutes to get in, especially for the natural athlete.

With proper nutrition, while training, you can also somewhat negate the effects of lifting beyond the window. Keep in mind that, in any case, people have been training for years and years before this optimal window was "discovered" and I'm sure they all had the ability to build an impressive physique. Also remember the window is much less of a concern for the enhanced professionals -- perhaps even not a concern whatsoever.

#32 chicanerous, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  13. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

c- I thought you were roger dropping the "asshat!"

Anyway, the former female cleaner of our gym has apparently been promoted to trainer. She likes to set up her new clients in the only squat rack with those blue step boxes for step-ups and leg raises. She also has them perform trunk twists with the little padded broomstick in the only place where DL or Cleans can be performed (right in front of the squat rack)...:mad: I always just go stand and stare with my arms crossed asking "How much longer are you going to use the squat rack???!!" She usually gives me a dirty look and moves after a few minutes.

Oh yeah, the new cleaner is the worst too. She can single handedly occupy the whole free weight area for over an hour with her 700 foot extension cord and vaccum cleaner, at peak hours no less. I had to ask the girls at the front desk to have her move. I was doing push press with her vaccuuming literally around my feet! One false move and she would've been knocked out.:mad:

Unbelievable. Just when I thought Bally's couldn't get any worse...:rolleyes:

I could go on and on and on... end hijack!

14. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hahah! You're going to have to bail a clean so it scares the living crap out of her and then calmy say "thank god, you weren't too close that time." :evil:

15. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

That sounds tremendously wack. I'm with chic on false-bailing a clean some time for shock value. :spank:

As far as this squat routine, I'm definitely going to try it some time. I may even look into it for my next routine, starting in April. My legs (and specifically, squats) are my weakest and have always lagged. This looks like, while horrendously painful to get through, it could fix that a lot. I'd splice deads, rows, bench, and pressing into Tuesday/Thursday, and naturally, eat like my life depended on it. This routine definitely doesn't look compatible with a cutting diet!

16. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

Double posts suck!

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not compatible with cutting at all. :nod:

After going through the first three sessions and getting a feel for it, I'd recommend leaving out the other lifts or only doing 1-2 sets of the upper body essentials 1x per week for the first 2-3 weeks. This was suggested by others and I feel is accurate. Do your squats, do calf raises, and then do extensive stretching and that's pretty much it. Trust me, you won't need more than that.

It's only four weeks of squatting.

18. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

C.....A lot of times I don't care if I go over an hour although I always try to strive for the optimal time frame.

In many instances I could go 45min. if I wanted. But if it drags out to an hour and fifteen because I decided to add a couple of things that day, I don't sweat it too much.

On all workout days right after the workout I immediately consume fast carbs for the Glycogen loss plus whey and water.

I know....the pros use Cortisol blockers, roids, testosterone and what-have-you.