1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Forum upgrade - I'd like your input!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, May 6, 2010.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

In this morning's update I talked about some major changes to the main site and the forums that I'll be working on. The forum software will be upgraded to a new version with hundreds of new features.

As part of the forum upgrade, I was considering a complete visual overhaul: something lighter, cleaner and more modern. What do you guys think? Would you welcome a major change to the look of the forums, or would you hate to see the dark blue theme go?

2. Max Fischer

Max Fischer Well-Known Member

please keep the dark blue....it is JSF. it's what i've seen since 2004....give more options but don't change it.

3. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I too like the current dark blue default skin. I'm not opposed to a change though. If you work up a couple of samples or provided screen shots to forum skins that you like or had in mind as templates that would be cool.

But I do prefer darker background with lighter text...easier on the eyes.

4. needachange

needachange Active Member

The dark blue is deff JSF and sets it apart from other forums.

I would like the option to be able to change the color layout to to something lighter. The dark blue gets a little hard on the eyes when reading for a good amount of time. Especially, when you go back to a screen with a white backround.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I also like the dark blue. It is almost the exact same color as my companies software, so it is less noticeable when I am on this site.

6. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

I like the dark blue background because it makes the text pop for easy reading!

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Clearly the dark blue needs to stay, but I'll offer lighter skins as well.

What about changes to the style? Like, still have the dark blue color scheme, but an all new look? What do you guys think of that?

8. needachange

Ha!

For me, as I said it's the opposite. When I'm reading the blue makes the text seem blurry to me and I almost need to squint to read it sometimes (no I don't need glasses, it's just these forums) I like the look of the blue for sure, it just gets a little difficult to read at times. It's most likely because everything else I look at on my dual monitors is a lighter color, whites and light grays.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

You know you can go into your control panel now and change it to "plain" if you want the lighter color scheme? It's a drop down list box on the left side at the bottom. Try it :)

(I prefer darker myself)

10. needachange

:doh:

You are right, I completely forgot about that.

11. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading somewhere that darker backgrounds with lighter text is healthier for the eyes. Causes less headaches/migraines and such.

Anyone else ever read something similar?

12. ekomomai

ekomomai Well-Known Member

I'd say keep the blue. As mentioned by others, it is much easier on the eyes than white or other colours. On any other website I normally highlight the text so I'm reading white text on black, JSF is a welcome change!

Here is a feature suggestion that is quite out there. What are the chances it'd be possible to generate an email address for your thread and update via email? I am not often around a computer and mainly on my BB (as I am now). While it is possible to post and view the forums in the BB browser it would make it that little bit easier to be able to update my journal via email! Aside from that the site is great and although I'm sure the new features will drastically change things it will only be making an already incredible product even better!

13. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Like others have said, I relate the dark blue to JSF. I think maybe an updated look would be a nice change, though.

Would you ever consider adding some new subforums?

14. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

I like the dark blue, and the overall dark color look to the site. It's easier to look at first thing in the morning than the big white google screen :).

Just hope the design stays simple (not necessarily minimal), clean, and effective. Plenty of designs suffer from "ZOMG lens flares! 27 levels of nested DIVs!" and get in their own way, but I'm sure you know that :)

15. lee4234

lee4234 Active Member

LOL THATS GOLD!

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks again for all the feedback. It's clear that that the signature "JSF Blue" needs to stay. I do think the styling of the current default skin is a bit dated looking, and I don't know if I want to keep it.

As for some of the other suggestions, I'll be soliciting for those after the launch of the new forum software. The new forum software has many new features, so you may find that what you're looking for right from the start.