1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

For you Max-OTers (warm-up sets)

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by karatetricker, Feb 16, 2004.

1. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I recently started the Max-OT program and was reading about the warm-up sets. I know you only do it for the first exercise for the muscle, but damn it's a lot of sets between the warm-ups and acclimation sets. Do you guys actually do every warm up set with each workout? Do you find it really helps?

2. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i do them them all!

sometimesi might cut it a bit short, removing the second 10 rep exercise

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I do them all. It's important to properly warm up your muscles before doing the heavy working sets, and the MAX-OT warm-up and acclimation sets are designed to do just that. Anything you can do to help prevent injury is a good thing. :tu:

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Okay, well in the Max-OT program, he gives the 275lb bench example but doesn't mention how he got the weights for the warm-up sets. How do I determine how much I should be using for each warmup set based on what I do with my heavy sets?

5. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i think its mostly about what feels "right".. some people go as far as doing their max bench for example than do percentages off that..

for the first 2 sets.. do a light weight.. one you know you can do at least 30-40 times.. the next set.. add 5-10lbs.. depending on the muscle group..

some examples for me are on chest day..

25lb dumbell press flat bench x 12,10
    30lb x 6
    40lb x 3
    50lb x 1

than im off to hammer off some 80's for 5-6 reps

curls..

20lbs dumbell conentration curls x 12,10
    25lbs x 6
    35lbs x 3
    40lbs x 1

than im off to hammer of some 60s or 65's

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

I do the first warm up and sometimes the second one depending on how much time I have, or how much of a workout the second muslce group may have gotten working as a secondary or support muscle to the primary one I was working.

For instance, on legs day, I do a full warm up on my squats, and after I finish the other three quad exercises I go straight into calf exercises without warming up the calves by themselves. They've already gotten a good warm up just from doing all the quad exercises, and warming them up adds another 15+ minutes to one of the longest workouts yet (personally I think the 45 minutes MAXOT claims is a laughable number, I'm lucky to get it done in 50 and that's if I rush through warmups and only do one warm up the whole day).

The formula I figure for my warm ups is I first determine how much I'd like to lift on the MAXOT sets (usually five pounds more than last week for pecs, back and arm muscles, and ten pounds more for leg muscles).

That's my 100% number I want to get to so for the warmups I do a percentage of that weight:

12@ 50%
    10@50%
    6@65%
    3@80%
    1@90%

And if things don't devide out nicely I'll usually add a little bit of weight on the 10rep, for instance, on last week's bench, I was shooting for 125 and did 60x12 and then 65x10, then 85x6, 105x3 and 115x1, on the MAX OT sets I got 5, 4 and 4 so I was at just about the right weight :)

The only muscle group I don't really warm up are abs, but I basically only do weighted cable crunches and incline crunches for those, probably not smart, but by the time I get to abs, I'm ready to get out of the gym.

Adam

7. James_JJK

James_JJK Guest

Anyone mind posting their current Max-OT routine. 3/4/5 day split? Thanks

8. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i dont count the warmup as part of the "max ot training session"..

for me, the 45-50min workout starts when i hit my first heavy set

9. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

monday: nadda
    tuesday: upper back
    wednesday: biceps, forearms
    thursday: chest, triceps
    friday: legs
    saturday: shoulders, traps
    sunday: lower back, abs, forearms

im experimenting with doing forearms and abs twice a week.. abs can easily be trained twice a week.. im trying to get some forearm growth, its s relativly small muscle and its really hard to overload the bugger.. so far it seems good for me

10. d!abolic

d!abolic Well-Known Member

The thing is that with MAX-OT, you're only training one muscle group a day anyway. So one warm-up routine is usually all that's needed. Sometimes you have to do two though.

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

My schedule is this:

Mondays - Pecs and Abs (Bench, incline dumbbell, dips; weighted cable crunches, incline crunches)
    Tuesdays - Delts and Traps/lowerback (Bar Military, Dumbell press, Dumbbell side laterals; upright rows, barbell shrugs
    Wednesdays - Legs (squats, 45 degree leg press, Stiff leg dead lift, leg curls; standing calf raises, 45 degree calf raises)
    Thursdays - Back and Biceps (Cable Pull Down, Close Grip Pull Down, Bent over Rows; alternating dumbell curls, straight bar curl)
    Friday - Triceps, Forearms, and Abs (Tricep Cable Press Downs, Lying Tricep Press, SEated overhead Tricep Press; Bar Wrist Curls, Dumbbell Wrist curls).

this is the almost directly the MAX OT schedule suggested about five weeks in. I choose it because I can do all the exercises and I like all the exercises. The only change is he suggests dead lifts (not, apparently stiff legged) for tuesdays where I"m doing upright rows, but I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between dead lifts and the stiff legged deadlifts the next day and the OT program doesn't help. I might go do some browsing agian to see what I can find...

Adam

12. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

I have to admit i don't do the full warm up set, for a beginer (which i am again in terms of my current body condition) i find i get way too fatigued following those guide lines. I do plan to do the full warm up once i have a little better conditioning, untill then i do a set of 12 or so with next to no weight (plain bar or a small weight) then a set of 6 or so with a middleish weight, then straight into my heavy sets.

I am also doing 2-3 groups per day (3 day split) so i need to do more than one warm up group.

13. dingo

dingo Well-Known Member

Always do all

I'm nearly obsessive when it comes to doing all the MAX-OT sets. It's too easy to pick ut injuries (maybe especially when using free weights) without a proper warm-up. Doing squats last week, on the first rep of the first set, I noticed a slight pain in one of my upper quads, but by taking it slow and stretching carefully between sets, by the time I went heavy it was gone. Problem is, you don't always get that warning... The sets takes time and patience, but it's absolutely worth it.