1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

For The Ectomorphs

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Aug 12, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

If you are tall and skinny and have a semblance of a 6-pack, but little muscle, then this workout is for you. First of all, you should be taking in at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Carbs should be 3-4 grams per pound of bodyweight. Healthy fats should round out the rest. As an example.... A 5'11" male at 155 pounds should roughly take in 155-175 grams P, 440 grams C, and 80 grams F.

Training should be progressive
    3 days per week is plenty, and conventional cardio is unnecessary. You can, however, do your regular activities and walk as much as you like.

Here is a good 8-12 week routine I set up for ecto's with relatively no muscle: warmup as needed:

Day 1:
    Barbell Squats: 3x5-8 (squat in a rack in case you fail)
    Stiff Leg Dead Lift: 3x6 (keep a slight bend in the knees, this should be difficult)
    Calf Raise: 2x8-12

Day 2:
    Flat BB Bench: 3x6-10 (make sure you have spotter. if you don't have one and you fail on a set... this can ruin your day)
    Close Grip Bench or Weighted Dips: 2x6-10
    Weighted Incline Crunch: 3x8-10

Day 3:
    Bent BB Row: 2x10
    Chinups: 3x as many sets as it takes to hit 25 reps
    (note: if you can do 10 chinups with bodyweight, add weight and do 3x4-8 reps)
    One Arm DB Row: 1x8-10
    BB Curl: 1x6-8 reps to failure (this should be very hard)

Sodium intake should be unlimited, unless you have high blood pressure or a family history of such.

5 grams creatine monohydrate with meal of choice. Timing of this supplement is unnecessary since muscle creatine saturation takes effect within 28-32 days with this protocol.

Intra workout nutrition is unnecessary. Yes... that means you (or anyone else) doesn't need the nitro Xplode, NO Xplode, Bcaa Xplode, etc. garbage. Make sure your pre workout nutrition about an hour and a half prior to training contains carbs, protein and as minimal fat as possible. Stay hydrated with water during your training. 20-36 ounces.
    Post workout .... eat up. Perhaps oatmeal with 2 scoops protein powder and 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted with 1 tbls jam. Or 8 -12 ounce chicken breast with 15 ounces roasted red potatoes.

Water intake throughout the day should be as high as you can comfortably consume. You will find that the more water you take in during the day, the better your sleep and recovery. This is true for every bodytype. You will have better sleep patterns.

Alcohol should be avoided entirely.

Don't be afraid to salt your food. For the ectomorph, sodium intake is important. Sodium will shuttle more nutrient into the muscle. If you have high blood pressure or a family history of high BP, please check with your physician.

This is the basic template I followed as a pure ecto when I first began training at 5'9", 133 pounds. I eventually went up to 176 pounds and was squatting 435 lbs. for reps back in my early 40's.

This can work for any ecto who is willing to sustain, and put in the work. No magic formula's here.... Just plain hard work in the gym and in the kitchen.