1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

foot pain - fracture?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by GM Enthusiast, Jan 20, 2005.

1. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Starting yesterday afternoon I have a sharp pain in my foot which makes it difficult to walk. The pain is right about the top of the fifth metatarsal bone, right on the outside of my left foot. On Saturday I had accidentally stepped in a crack and the side of my foot twisted. It was extremely painful for a minute, but the pain went away. The next day I played 2 hockey games without any pain. Yesterday morning I ran 5k, also with no pain. The pain began yesterday afternoon right in the same spot I stepped into the crack on Saturday. Unfortunately my doctor can't see me until Saturday, so in the mean time I am stuck trying to self diagnose. Everything I've been reading sounds like it could be a fracture, possibly an avulsion fracture of the fifth metatarsal. But what doesn't make sense is if it is a fracture why did it not start hurting until yesterday afternoon? I didn't put much stress on it other then running in the morning. Anyone ever have similar problems?

2. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

If the pain took a while to come on like that, then it may not be afracture, avulsion or otherwise. However, the only way to tell is withradiation. Wear heavy shoes/boots till then, or if it's too painful,get yourself to an A&E to get it seen to.

Andrew.

3. Yips

Yips Well-Known Member

This is freaky... I have exactly the same problem at the moment only its on my right foot. However, I dont know how I caused mine. Its been 5 days and I am still struggling to walk on it even though I had x-rays that confirmed no bone damage. The x-ray confirmed some severe soft tissue swelling of the 5 metatarsal bone. Im thinking I've strained some ligaments or something. Im seeing a physiotherapist tmrw also just to see all is in order. Good luck

4. jtchen22

jtchen22 Well-Known Member

it could be a stress fracture.

they won't show up on x-rays until they've actually started to heal, which could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

i'd take it easy on the foot for at least 2-4 weeks. try swimming, biking, or elliptical. it's really important to let it heal, otherwise, you could really aggravate the injury.

5. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I've seen similar things before and they often don't show up until more damage is done. Very possibly a stress fracture.

6. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

I had the EXACT same symtms...

Didnt hurt right away, but then all of a sudden 1-2 days later it started to kill!

Went to a foot doctor - got xrays taken. Stress fractures dont show up for 2-3 weeks, so then i made another appointment for 3 weeks later. By then, the pain had already gone away, and xrays for the 2nd appointment came up clean again.

It must'v been a tendon or something that i pulled while running - no stress fracture. (possibly even a bruized bone)

7. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

I assume you rested it for those three weeks rather than running a 10K after it started to hurt, as my friend did!

8. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

yes i rested - it hurt too much to even put weight on the foot, let alone walk or run.

i walked around using the ball of that foot and it didnt hurt when i did that for some reason..

9. rockenmama

rockenmama Well-Known Member

I had something similar happen to me when I was much younger. I didn't go to the doctor until after a couple weeks and it turned out I had a stress fracture.

My suggestion would be to take it easy for a few days if it isn't feeling any better make an appointment with a sports ortho.

Pam

10. born sleepy

born sleepy Well-Known Member

I hurt my rt foot last Sept in a fall and it still hurts. there's no fracture but the doc says it's likely a torn or otherwise damaged ligament and that those can take from 6-12 months to fully heal. this is about in the middle of the arch.