1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Foot falls asleep during cardio - Help

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by woeisemma, Feb 20, 2004.

1. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

Does this happen to anyone else? I do my cardio on the bike and elliptical at 80% THR for 30 min each and every time around the 20-25 min mark my left foot falls asleep. :rolleyes:

2. neckowi

neckowi Well-Known Member

that happens to me on the elliptical also. i get the pins and needles in both feet sometimes. i try to lift my feet off the machine a little bit (one at a time of course :p )for a few cycles and usually it goes away.

3. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Yup, my feet get a little numb on the elliptical or the stairmaster. Lifting the feet now and then seems to help. I don't know what causes it though.

4. Malikai

Malikai Well-Known Member

pins and needles is a sign of not enough oxygen in the affected area's.

Is it the bottom of your feet? Having them pressed againts the platform for so long especially while pressure is being applied to them will cause the blood to kind of squish out of the bottom of your feet.

The effect is multiplied by your body using more oxygen in the muscles that are working for instance your thighs. By the time your blood gets to your feet it has less o2 in it as well.

Hope that helps some.

5. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

I wonder if you guys should get your blood pressure checked. That happens to me when I wake up and Ive been resting my face on my arm. I wake up with my hand a little numb, but I dont think that should be happening when you are exercising.

6. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

Ive been resting my face on my arm. I wake up with my hand a little numb

Fudgam, that's because you have been compressing a nerve, usually the Ulnar, which leaves the pinkie half of your hand numb, the thumb hand ok. You probably have been doing it all night, but your subconscious will move you around and prevent it when you are asleep. The reason you have it when you wake is that it hasn't got severe enough to need you to move yet.

Don't let it concern you, and it's nothing to do with blood-pressure.

Andrew.

7. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

My foot can get tingly while doing squats. It's always the bottom of my foot, when it happens. I just figured I was pressing on a nerve or something.

8. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

This happens when I wear one of my pairs of runners and not the other. I think one of them is 'slightly' tighter than the other and when doing certain repetitive movements, like elliptical, etc...it happens. Maybe not but you may want to try loosening up your shoes too or ever trying a slighter looser pair. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me! :confused:

Danielle

9. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Sleepy foot

My foot does that, but only when my shoes are too tight. I think it is nothing to worry about. Does it go away right after you excercise? If it continues for a long period of time after you leave the gym then I would get it checked out, but I bet you are just pinching a nerve or something.

BTW, when I do curls my left elbow pops. It doesn't hurt but it feels funny and I wanted to know if anyone else has that problem. I have never injured it or anything and it occurs everytime I work out my arms. Does anyone know why?

10. Firepixie

Firepixie Well-Known Member

My elbow locks and pops when I do lat pulldowns. But mine actually hurt and can get very annoying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, my shoulders hurt when I'm working them out, like with lateral raises or shoulder presses. Not the muscles, but the joints. I used to dislocate my shoulders a lot when I was younger, just because I could. Now they dislocate on their own. It doesn't hurt when they dislocate, only if I'm working them out and putting pressure on them. Is there any way I can work out my shoulders, or should I stop trying altogether?

11. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the boards, Firepixie! :)

12. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I do my cardio on my recumbent Lifecycle, and nearly every time it compresses the nerve on the underside of my left leg, making if feel all pinny and needly. From where it meets the edge of the bike seat all the way down to my knee. I usually try to periodically raise up off the bike for a second or two to get the blood flowing again, but I think it may also require an adjustment of the seat to the length of my legs.

13. shris

shris Well-Known Member

tingly

Yes, I get tingly toes when I work out on the elliptical. Usually only in one foot.

Occasionally I wake up in the morning and my entire hand is completely dead numb and I have to flex it to make sure it's still alive. :p It wakes up after a few seconds.

I have noticed that when I sit on the couch 'sideways' -- with my feet tucked under my butt instead of on the floor -- the skin of my left foot and shin get a little numb and stay that way for days. Doc said it's nothing serious because I can still feel it when something is touching the area.

I have low blood pressure, which I sometimes have trouble with when I'm doing deadlifts. When I straighten after setting the weights down, I feel the blood draining from my head and grab the wall to keep my balance. I have also noticed that when this happens, my heart rate increases by about 10bpm for a couple of minutes while the body compensates.

What does it all mean?
    1. It's time to get new shoes.
    2. My arm takes longer to wake up than the rest of me.
    3. My mother was right when she told me that feet go on the floor and butts go on couches.
    4. I need to get more salt in my diet to raise my blood pressure, or maybe I need to not lock my knees when I'm doing deadlifts.
    5. Heart rate monitors are interesting learning tools.
    6. Your Mileage May Vary.

:p
    shris
    :eat:

14. Paul J

Paul J Well-Known Member

hey that happens to me too, i agree its from having our feet on the pedals for so long.