1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Foods people think are healthy but aren't...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by akm3, Jul 4, 2007.

1. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I was hoping we could get folks to list a lot of the foods that people "who try a health kick" often buy because they think they are healthy - but that really aren't any better then what they were eating before.

I have some examples:

1) "Brown" bread (wheat bread that isn't made with whole grains)
    2) Snapple / Gatorade / etc in place of soda.
    3) Almost anything labeled "fat free!" (Fat free cookies! Fat free licorice!)

What are some of the other examples you guys see folks getting tripped up on?

/edit: I thought of some more.

4) McDonalds "Salads"
    5) McDonalds "Fruit and Yogurt parfaits"
    6) Most 'protein' bars (most of them have the nutrition of a candy bar AND a horrible taste!...Some are OK though)

#1 akm3, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Gatorade... I guess in place of soda it's not the greatest choice, but during intense workouts I really enjoy it and I do notice it helps.

3. dluc

dluc Active Member

Today at work a lady was reading a weight-watchers book or something and noted that salads can be worth just as many points as cheeseburgers depending on the content. On the flip side, she also noted that she'll never eat almonds again due to the fat content in them. I tried to explain that almonds were a great source of fat and that she should just practice portion control with them. I'm not sure if that made any sense to her...."how can fat be good??!???"

4. effec

effec Active Member

Tuna Salad
    Chicken Salad

From any deli, its packed with MAYO and crap.

5. Barbaros_H

Barbaros_H Active Member

milk....its actually healthy but just not a good choice for some one who is trying to lose weight

6. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

:confused:

7. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

Milk is not good for fat loss??? The only reason I think people should avoid milk is if they're lactose intolerant.

8. Barbaros_H

Barbaros_H Active Member

i prefer not to drink milk...it really stacks the calories on there....then theres the fat in the milk...
    i have seen many peoples mealplan in here, but almost no one incorporates milk in their diet. at least as far is i've seen. correct me if i'm wrong tho.

9. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

True, drinking calories is a good (or bad) way to add calories, so eliminating it might help.

However, I eat dairy earlier in a weight loss phase, and taper down to cottage cheese, then taper off completely. I find milk to be very satiating, especially as a snack or before bed.

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I like McDonald's Salads and fruit and yogurt parfaits.

Anything that comes with cheese and full-fat dressing isn't such a wise choice, but the one with mandarin oranges and grilled chicken eaten without dressing is a very nice meal. But I don't know why you're picking on McDonald's; any restaurant would be the same. The parfait is okay. I wouldn't eat them all the time, because they're a little high in sugar, but they're not horrible nutritionally, considering the calcium from the yogurt and the antioxidants from the fruit.

Muffins, on the other hand, are very rarely any good for you, whether from McDonald's or elsewhere, and whether labelled "high fibre" or "low fat" or not.

Some people I know think these things are good for their kids:
    crackers and cheese
    unlimited fruit juice
    fruit leathers or fruit gummies
    granola bars, cereal bars, or muffin bars
    Nutella

11. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I have 1/2litre of 1% every day. A whole 220 calories. Wasn't there a study last year claiming milk helped weight loss? Likely done by the diary industry :lol:

How different really is skim milk from some of the protein powders people take?

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Way more sugar/carbs.

13. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

REAL fruit juice. I have seen so many people switch from pop to fresh OJ, apple juice etc. They figure since its real fruit the sugar/calories don't count or something.

Pretty much anything thats made with "granola" or "oats" in an attempt to look healthy has some sort of sugar as the first ingredient.

"Grown up" cereals (most). I used to eat cheerios, raisin bran and Kellogg's total when I felt like eating something healthy.... after learning a whole plethora of real health information and looking at the ingredients I realized they are about as healthy as count chocula or fruit loops..... but I know ALLOT of people out there are eating them thinking they are "healthy".

I have lost ~60lbs of fat so far drinking 1-2 gallons a week :D

Count its calories and its great, but if you drink it like water you will have some issues.

14. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Tastes like cow tit instead of chocolate flavored cow piss :lol:

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Interesting. I do think they're healthy. Cheerios are quite low in sugar and have a decent amount of whole grains in them. Raisin bran is a very good source of iron and an excellent source of fibre. They are all fortified with vitamins and minerals.

Of course, plain oats and fresh fruit are a wiser choice for most people, but I still wouldn't make the leap to call all boxed cereals "unhealthy".

16. kakizaki

kakizaki Active Member

I concur. I love my cheerios! Whole oats and just 1 g of sugar...gosh i'm starting to sound like a commercial. ha!

17. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Nutra-Grain bars.

Lasagna. (cheese and meat combined is one of the worst things you can eat. The cheese forms mucus, coats the meat and you end up with undigested festering slime/meat/cheese puke in your intestines.)

Cheeseburgers (for the same reason).

18. George

George Senior Member

Table Sugar
    Beer (I get this one a lot. :blank:)

19. Cramp11

Cramp11 Active Member

Why is brown bread bad for you? I know it's not as good as whole grains, but is it really that bad for you?

I'm glad cereal isn't on the list. I can't do the oats thing yet and love my multi-grain cherrios.

20. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

There are many brown breads out there which are just the same as white bread, same nutrional value, just a different colour. You need wholemeal, wholegrain bread.