1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Focus, Fitness, and Food

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by skippy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. skippy

skippy Member

Today was light cardio and triceps. It was not an epic workout, but I did get it done. A little lighter on the triceps than I had planned.

Cardio: various exercises for 20 min

Kickbacks: 4 x 15 x 10lb

Overhead single tricep extensions: 4 x 15 x 10lb

Tomorrow is full body again and I am increasing the weights on all exercises. For a few of them this will mean lower rep ranges, but I will still try to do 4 sets for each.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I'm with Brad - much easier to control your intake if there is no temptation.

Why does it always seem that whenever I'm getting on track, everyone shows up with treats? Leave me alone!

3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Sometimes I think life would be easier if we were allergic to Nacho Cheese Dust :lol:

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:tu:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Skippy, it's a prioritization issue. Don't make exercise an afterthought, but one that other discretionary activities have to work around. And some is better than none. Today I was planning on a 45 minute bicycle ride, but our plans changed and I was only able to go out for 30 minutes. Not great, but better than blowing it off and, quite frankly, the fact that I got out put me in a better mental place than if I had blown it off.

Regarding food, the reality for many of us is that we don't live alone and while we endeavor to bring mostly healthy items into the home other family members have the capacity to bring in things that wouldn't pass the JSF clean test. Any JSFer who has been to my house can attest to there being a living room table full of candy and other less than clean foods in the house. I'll occasionally succumb, but for the most part ignore it. Good thing I do all the cooking. :)

6. skippy

skippy Member

Haha! Sabotage?!

LOL

Nacho cheese dust and grease and chocolate and donuts!

French fries too.

Yes, agree. It is much easier for me to ignore it once I am back into healthy eating mode. It is that first week or two that gets me!

7. skippy

skippy Member

Yesterday, my schedule was full body, but I had to put it off until today. I had a legitimate excuse. Won't go into detail. Just have to trust me. Good news is I stayed on track with diet. I ate clean and not too much.

Today was my full body routine and it changed a little. I went up on weights.

Standing Military Press:
    1 x 10 x 30lb
    3 x 10 x 40lb

Leg Extension:
    1 x 10 x 35lb
    9 x 10 x 50lb

Bench Press:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 55lb

Squat:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 75lb

Olympic Bar Rows:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 55lb

The squat rack was being used so I hopped on the leg extension for a few sets and ended up doing 10 sets. I put military press first in the lineup because it is the most difficult lift for me, but I hit 10 reps. I may be able to move it next time, but I will still keep it before bench because it is the pressing that fatigues me. The way I have the routine setup now is how it will look, with one warm up set at last weeks weight and three sets at the new weight.

Had a motivating experience this morning. Put on some jeans that fit perfectly last October and now they are snug. I can zip them and everything, but they don't feel good. The clothes don't lie.

Nice day outside. May go for a little walk!

8. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Life happens! Good job dealing with and staying on track.

This, this, a million times this. Few things are more motivating than feeling the difference in how your clothes fit (either positively or negatively, hehe)

9. skippy

skippy Member

Sometimes the scale lies, and sometimes the mirror can leave too much open to interpretation (LOL) but yeah, the clothes always tell the truth! Good or bad.

10. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

My shirts are going the correct way, yet my jeans are not. I like to think it's cause I am building awesome quads and hammies. . :lol:

11. skippy

skippy Member

Hey, you may be! :D

Seriously, though, I stopped going real heavy on squats because my legs were getting too big. Biking makes them really grow too. I put an inch on my legs during the summer, and it is muscle, not fat!

12. skippy

skippy Member

Okay, confessions time ...

Blew off the gym yesterday. Ate good, though. Really, that is the most important thing to me right now--eating right. As long as I get my 3 full body days in at the gym, and 1 day of light cardio, things will move in the right direction as long as the diet is on track. Hell, it may even be better for me to go fewer days as I am eating at a slight calorie deficit.

Also, I want to combine bicep/tricep day. Going all the way to the gym for one small muscle group feels like a waste of time.

So, 3 full body days, 1 bicep/tricep day, and if I work in a day of light cardio, cool.

My diet has been perfect since Sunday. This makes me very happy and gives me hope that I am getting back into a routine. My experience has been that the nutritional part is the most difficult for the first week, but after that, it gets easier and eventually it just feels normal to eat right all the time.

I did hit the gym today.

Full Body

Military Press:
    1 x 10 x 30lb
    3 x 10 x 40lb

Squats:
    1 x 12 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 75lb

Bent over dumbell rows:
    1 x 10 x 20lb
    1 x 10 x 25lb
    2 x 10 x 22.5lb

Glute Machine:
    1 x 10 x 50lb
    1 x 10 x 60lb
    2 x 10 x 70lb

Hip abduction:
    4 x 10 x 60lb

Bench Press:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    1 x 10 x 65lb
    2 x 10 x 55lb

Abs: 50 crunches

Good workout. Mixed it up with a few heavier sets and tossed in a couple extra hip exercises.

I was 145lb this morning. I don't really have a weight goal, though. I would like to see my abs again. It feels within my reach by May or early June if I stay on track.

13. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member

Hi Skippy,

I like your journal title "Focus, Fitness and Food". I have the same vision in my current fitness journey in 2013.

You seem like a strong and fit lady, I wish you the smooth transformation toward well-being and healthy lifestyle :tucool:.

Sara

14. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member

I like what you stated and my personal view has never changed: the major factors to maintain good mental health are nutrition (eating right) and exercise (workout regularly) and sleep well.

15. skippy

skippy Member

Hey, thanks for stopping by! :)

Yes, I feel an emotional improvement since I have returned to the gym. It is quite noticeable to me. Something for me to keep in mind when I feel like slacking off again! I sleep pretty well, so I am lucky in that department. I know others who seem to struggle with getting enough sleep but I sleep like a rock!

16. skippy

skippy Member

Full Body, Saturday March 16th

Warm up: 50 KB squats

Squats:
    1 x 10 x 45
    3 x 10 x 75

Military Press:
    4 x 10 x 40

Lying Leg Curls:
    4 x 10 x 35

Peck Deck:
    4 x 10 x 40

Oly Bar Rows:
    1 x 10 x 45
    3 x 10 x 55

Assisted Chins:
    2 x 10

Single Incline Curls:
    9 x 10 x 10

Abs: about 100+ crunches of various exercises

Good workout! Can't believe I will be upping weight again next week on a few lifts, like squat, rows, maybe bench. I will probably just up the reps on Military press. I did 4 sets at 40lb today, so maybe I will shoot for 12 reps next week.

17. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Nice progress. Upping weight is always satisfying because it means you're on the right track!

18. skippy

skippy Member

Thanks! :)

19. skippy

skippy Member

I have been slacking on posting, but still going to the gym. Weight is steady.

Today's workout:

Warm up: 10 min

Standing Military Press:
    4 x 10 x 40lb

Squats:
    1 x 12 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 75lb

Olympic Bar Rows:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 55lb

Bench:
    1 x 10 x 45lb
    3 x 10 x 60lb

Glute Machine:
    1 x 10 x 50lb
    3 x 10 x 75lb

Hip Abduction:
    3 x 10 x 70lb

Behind head cable curls:
    3 x 10 x 30lb

Overhead triceps:
    3 x 10 x 40lb

I feel the most improvement on bench. It was challenging for me the first time, but today I just pushed it out. Military press was a little easier too. I have one more day at these weights. Next week, I may increase reps instead of weight, just to stretch it out a little more. As long as I am doing more each week, that is progress.

Diet has been off and on but weight is back at 145lb. I can't wait until it warms up a little so I can spend more time outside for some cardio. I think adding cardio will help me burn off these last 5lbs of fat without changing diet too much.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: